User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Nikon D90 advantages

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nikon D90 advantages

I have seen a Nikon D90 with 18 - 105 lens for $999 and as I am new to DSLR are in two minds whether to get this or go for the later D3100?
    I have heard the D90 has its own AF motor and would be handy for non auto lenses?
    Even though its an older model I believe it may be a better build than the D3100.
    Does anyone have experience with the D90 and whether I should go for this one over the D3100?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My second attempt at posting an answer.
    I have the D90, and use the 18-105mm most of the time. And I have no complaints.
    You'll have an advantage of higher ISO images without too much noise. Plus a few more options to play with.
    It's a little bit bigger than the 3100 as well, so comfort in your hands is important.
    You'll see my examples throughout the site, if you want to have a look.
    Geoff
    Honesty is best policy.
    CC is always welcome
    Nikon D3000 ... Nikon D90... Nikon D700 Various lenses, Home studio equipment and all the associated stuff
    Flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you can stretch the budget a bit further, you can get that lens with the new D7000 (which is the D90 replacement) in a kit from USA. Take a look at the online sellers there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I upgraded from a D60 to the D90 and am very happy with it. My understanding is that the D3100 is a replacement for the D60 as the D7000 is a replacement for the D90. You can see where both fit in nikon camera line up here. and his review of theD90 here

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought my D90 last year as my first ever camera and I love it! It feels very comfortable in my hands and I am really enjoying using it. If you want to see some images, I am doing the 52 challenge (all images have been taken with my macro). Good luck with the new camera (what ever you get).
    D610 and D90 with a 16-35mm f/4,a 70-200mm f/4 ,a 300mm f/4 +TC11 convertor, 18-200mmDX and 85mm micro Dx.

Sally...CC always appreciated

My Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/salnel

dieselpower
    I have a D90 - and in terms of specs it is a better camera than the D3100. As jjnic said - the D3100 is a replacement for a lower spec model of the same D series as the D90 (replacement for D60). If you can stretch, get the D7000 though as it's the replacement for the D90 which I expect will stop being available within the near future.

As for the 18-105mm lens - it's reasonable, for the price you pay. It's my most commonly used lens but has taken me a long while to learn to work within its limitations. It's quite soft wide open and full closed, and exhibits a lot of chromatic aberration at each end. I find that my particular unit is sharpest around f/11, and generally try to shoot around that aperture if I can.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info. The Flickr photos are great. What lens did you use for the close up flower shots,magnificient!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am no expert on lenses, but, if you do get the D90, it may be worth you looking at the 18-200mm lens. I chose this instead of the kit lens because I knew nothing about focal distances and I also didn't want to change lenses outside. I have been happy with this one as it makes a nice walkabout lens. Other, more knowledgeable people here would probably be able to give better lens suggestions but I have no complaints with this one ( Not sure if you meant my flower shots, but, if you did, thank you. I use a Nikor 85mm micro which I love!)

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems like a good price for a good camera. I've got one and it's great. If you want to get a little serious with it, then the d90 will drive more lenses, but the 3100 is also a nice competent camera.
    A friend of mine is a travel photographer and tutor in nz and he's been using that combo to award winning results for a few years now.
    Don't close the aperture down past f13 or you will get lots of diffraction with that lens, otherwise it's fine and balances well on that body.
    Once you've bought either camera, the answer to your next question is the 35mm f1.8 dx lens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As someone who got a D3100 as his first DSLR, I would seriously suggest the D90 instead if you are going to get serious about photography. Serious disadvantages I have found about it:

- Lack of AF motor limits your lens choices
    - Lack of IR receiver means you only have a cable release, no official Nikon wireless release (for that you have to go 3rd party)
    - Lack of Commander mode (D90 has it built in - very important if you want to do work with multiple flashes)
    - Lack of official battery grip option - once you use one, believe me, you will want to use it on all your cameras

However, the D3100 does have the newbie friendly Guide Mode to help it along, and it does have quite a few new features that the D90 doesn't, such as the EXPEED 2 engine, which allows it to process images very fast, as well as better noise performance and higher(?) ISO ranges. If I had the choice all over again I would have gone for the D90.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had my D90 for almost a year, with the 18-105mm lens. There has been a few times when I wished I had a longer focal length, but for the most part it has been good for the level I am at.
    Sometimes I find the focus points to be a little difficult to lock on during AF, but when it does, it's great.
    I think it's biggest advantage depends on the user - it has been a trusted model in Nikon's range for a while now.

Amor fati!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have the d90... awesomeness it is!

vs 3100 the d90 wins. vs 7000 the d90 doesnt. if you cant afford the d7k the the d90 is def the way to go

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought a D90 body as a backup; a great little camera which I paired with a Nikkor AF 50mm f/1.8

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to everyone for your thoughts. I ended up buying the D90 with 18-105mm lens.Now to get out and get some photography practice!
    I an looking at also getting a 200mm 0r 300mm lens in near future for better reach work.
    cheers

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by graemelee View Post
    Thanks to everyone for your thoughts. I ended up buying the D90 with 18-105mm lens.Now to get out and get some photography practice!
    I an looking at also getting a 200mm 0r 300mm lens in near future for better reach work.
    cheers
    Looking forward to seeing some of your photos.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography