User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  13
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Composition: Conscious Thought or Natural Tendency?

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by James T View Post
    I try to take pictures that look good.

I don't think, hmm, I will put this on a third, or let me look for some leading lines now...

I think, that might look good, and then take a picture of it.
    When you look back at those images, do you find that the good images have certain compositional elements that are known to be pleasing and strengthening in an image?

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tannin View Post
    I think Kym's research is very dangerous! You need to be really, really careful about stuff like that. What it is showing is that a statistical majority prefer ROTCs a statistical majority of the time. It is not valid to then assume that this provides a guide to composition! No! The artist must compose (be that with camera or brush) according to her vision of the subject. More often than not, executed well, that will actually fit neatly into the ROT rules.
    Here we come to an important point about ROTC.

It should be a 'rule' because it works (most of the time); it should not work because it's a rule.

There are definitely times when the ROT should be completely disregarded. Take this image of mine:

This would look completely wrong and aesthetically unsettling if I'd positioned it on a third.

Take the following image of mine:

This does work on a third, but it would work well with central composition -- if I framed away a lot of the background.

I like the negative space I've used here. If I'd left the camera where it was and slid the glass to the right, it'd look all wrong. Judicious cropping (or closer framing -- preferred) would be necessary for the image to work with central composition.

Quote Originally Posted by Tannin View Post
    But not always! Indeed, I think there is a lot to be said for not teaching beginning photographers ROT until they have had a chance to let their eye develop and mature.
    Interesting. I am self-taught, so I never had someone tell me that I should compose a certain way. Of course, I know from reading (and more importantly, doing) that ROTC works well most of the time.

Still, I will deviate from ROTC if the image works better when composed differently.

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by peterb666 View Post
    While I am conscious of the rules of compensation
    Well yeah, those too, but I meant composition not compensation. I have a keyboard problem - clot behind the keys.
    Cheers

PeterB666

Olympus Pen F with Metabones Speed Booster and Laowa 12mm f/2.8 or Voigtlander 10.5mm f/0.95 or Nikon D800 with the Laowa 12mm f/2.8. The need to keep in touch with the past is a Nikon Photomic FTn or Nikon F2A and a Nikkor 25-50mm f/4 AI

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by peterb666 View Post
    While I am conscious of the rules of compensation
    How is that red Ferrari going?

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't received due compensation yet so it isn't going.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenedis View Post
    When you look back at those images, do you find that the good images have certain compositional elements that are known to be pleasing and strengthening in an image?
    I don't know. I'm sure you could overlay a grid or spiral of some sort. Or point out incomplete entities, and label points of tension if you wanted to.

I prefer to just go with what works for the picture though.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123