Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  3
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FireFox 5 and website loading issues

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

FireFox 5 and website loading issues

Andrew (I @ M) and I were just chatting cause he was having trouble with AP pages loading. I said it was loading fine here at my place. He then commented that he wondered if it was FF5. This twigged with me, as another site I visit has recently been not loading quite often. Further discussion made us both realise that this non loading of pages has happened since we upgraded to FF5

Usually I get a site not found message, then after a few minutes of refreshing, the site eventually loads up.

I just had FF4 and FF5 open side by side on two computers, and went to the site that I have trouble with. I pressed enter at the same time on both computers. The FF4 one loaded, the FF5 said the site doesnt exist, and took 5 refreshes to realise it does exist, and load it.

I am starting to think there is a bug in FF5.

I am wondering if others using FF5 have this issue, where a site they use just doesnt load at times?
    Last edited by ricktas; 06-07-2011 at 10:14pm.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rick, I am running FF5 and have had intermittent loading problems and have to refresh and try again. This morning after log in it wouldn't bring up home page at all and I had to close and re-open.
    Kassy
    Nikon D700
    CC Welcome and Appreciated

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks Kassy, Seems there might just be a problem with FF5. Will be very interesting to see what others say in this thread

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have FF5 and don't have any issues at all
    Smoke Alarms Save Lives, Install One Today
    I shoot Canon
    Cheers, Mark

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FF5 slow here too.

The first click on a link doesn't seem to go anywhere but I've found if I click on the link again it seems to get moving.
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Firefox 5 here ... no issues.
    If anything it might be an add-on

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    have gone back to FF4 and the site I have trouble with in FF5 is loading perfectly every time

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not Firefox 5.

Opera 11.5 does it too, and I'm virtually certain that it is (at least in part) a caching issue. Opera has always had very aggressive caching for performance reasons, and the latest versions are fasterr than ever ... but sometimes they can trip over their own feet. Firefox 4 and 5 (which last is really 4.1 but the idiots can't get their version number system working properly) also are very aggressive on speed optimisations. They are the first Firefox versions ever to challenge Opera for speed, and it seems pretty clear that they are having some of the same sort of issues.

One thing you can do to force a clean load is change the address. For example, edit http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...loading-issues to read http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...oading-issues& or http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...ading-issues&& You will still get the exact same page, but the extra "&" (which makes no difference to the server) forces your browser to fetch the page anew.

If these issues persist after the new server goes live, I'll be a little suprised.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    firefox five i am having trouble opening a lot of sites
    cheers macca

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tannin View Post
    It's not Firefox 5.

Opera 11.5 does it too, and I'm virtually certain that it is (at least in part) a caching issue. Opera has always had very aggressive caching for performance reasons, and the latest versions are fasterr than ever ... but sometimes they can trip over their own feet. Firefox 4 and 5 (which last is really 4.1 but the idiots can't get their version number system working properly) also are very aggressive on speed optimisations. They are the first Firefox versions ever to challenge Opera for speed, and it seems pretty clear that they are having some of the same sort of issues.

One thing you can do to force a clean load is change the address. For example, edit http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...loading-issues to read http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...oading-issues& or http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...ading-issues&& You will still get the exact same page, but the extra "&" (which makes no difference to the server) forces your browser to fetch the page anew.

If these issues persist after the new server goes live, I'll be a little suprised.
    thanks for the extra info, the site my FF5 has issues with is not AP, rather it is this site: http://www.topwebhosts.org/tools/ip-locator.php
    Which opens fine in FF4 but fails to launch in FF5 about 50% of the time.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Hall View Post
    How would changing server the site's on affect Firefox's caching at the user end?

That site is dog-slow to open in anything I've tried. (FF5, IE9, Chrome)

edit: it appears to stall in all 3 browsers I've just tried and takes sometime for the page to load fully.
    interestingly for me it opens fast in ff4.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    in the Options menu I only just found that FF was using up to 1.0G of space for cache!
    1 complete whole entire gigabyte of hdd for cache!?

Why so much? Does it really need this much space, and if so, why?

Anyhow, I cleared it and now it's reporting that 0Gb of this space is now being temporarily used. Took it's damn sweet time of clearing itself out too, I have to add.

I'm hoping now that the cache has been cleared it may run a tad smoother for me too(I seem to have encountered similar issues as described above.. with a BUT!!

But(and you knew this BUT was coming.. I also accessed AP from two work PC's recently, one of which I know has been updated to FF5(brother's main PC) as I remember clicking on the install update and subsequent restart tabs, but I don't know if the other PC.. the minion's PC has been updated to FF5.
    The reason for this info, is that the 'minion's PC' has been the one I've noticed to be slower and with far more page not found and error messages.

If I have the time to check it all out again tomorrow, I'll try to do so and post back.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Opens allright for me in ff5. No unusual problems other than the normal satellite glitches.
    Keith.

The Commander
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep - FF5 and thought it was dns issues or such with my provider but reallised it only happened when browsing. Often have to hit refresh to finsih loading.
    Please be honest with your Critique of my images. I may not always agree, but I will not be offended - CC assists my learning and is always appreciate

https://mikeathome.smugmug.com/

Canon 5D3 - Gripped, EF 70-200 L IS 2.8 MkII, , 24-105 L 4 IS MkI, 580 EX II Speedlite, 2x 430 Ex II Speedlite

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rick I use that same site to check IP's and have no issues ??

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Hall View Post
    How would changing server the site's on affect Firefox's caching at the user end?
    I'm assuming some problems with malformed headers or other slightly NQR behaviour on the server end (we know the server is poxed), with the simple old school browsers not noticing the difference or caring and the latest, most speed-tuned ones tripping up on it. This general class of issue is quite common.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is, in my decidedly old-school opinion, altogether too much black-magic tricked-up Javascript-based nonsense going on with these most recent versions of almost everything, Rich. We see the same all over the web, and very often it is replacing perfectly good, simple HTML/CSS which would have loaded a lot faster and been a lot easier to debug. I recently upgraded the software for a wiki I administer, and the new version is quite riddled with that new-age rubbish. It really doesn't achieve much most of the time, and it makes it phenomenally difficult to troubleshoot.

AP is nice. Rick and Kym do all the hard stuff, I just post. Bliss!

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have 35 tabs open on my FF5, and they all seem to open and refresh whenever I want to view them, and I can not discern any delays.
    The age of entitlement isn't over, it's just over there where you can't get to it.
    When several possibilities exist, the simplest solution is the best.
    "There are no rules" Bruce Barnbaum, The art of Photography
    Graham

Amor fati!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tannin View Post
    There is, in my decidedly old-school opinion, altogether too much black-magic tricked-up Javascript-based nonsense going on with these most recent versions of almost everything, Rich. We see the same all over the web, and very often it is replacing perfectly good, simple HTML/CSS which would have loaded a lot faster and been a lot easier to debug. I recently upgraded the software for a wiki I administer, and the new version is quite riddled with that new-age rubbish. It really doesn't achieve much most of the time, and it makes it phenomenally difficult to troubleshoot.

AP is nice. Rick and Kym do all the hard stuff, I just post. Bliss!
    totally agree.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had some of what you've described but, I just assumed it was related to the site issues (thus you are changing servers).
    Canon 7D : Canon EF 70-200mm f:2.8 L IS II USM - Canon EF 24-105 f:4 L IS USM - Canon EF 50mm f:1.8 - Canon EF-s 18-55mm f:3.5-5.6
    Sigma APO 150-500mm f:5-6.3 DG OS HSM
    - Sigma 10-20mm f:3.5 EX DC HSM
    Speedlite 580 EX II - Nissin Di866 II - Yongnuo 460-II x2 - Kenko extension tube set - Canon Extender EF 1.4x II
    Manfroto monopod - SILK 700DX Pro tripod - Remote release - Cokin Z-Pro filter box + Various filters

Current Social Experiment: CAPRIL - Wearing a cape for the month of April to support Beyond Blue
    Visit me on Flickr

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast