Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: I Remember When

Perpetually Bewildered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember when...

- we'd receive a little brown envelope each week for our toil (more fun than being paid into the bank, but considerably more dangerous for a young bloke)
    - anything "Made in Japan" was considered rubbish (except of course Shintaro Akikusa)
    - the Poms were good at sport
    - rugby league was entertaining
    - the highest tech in footware for general sport was the 'sandshoe'
    - Dick Smith was making a fortune importing foreign-made electronics
    - 'sophisticated' beverages included brown muscat and 'Blackberry Nip'

and maybe the biggest change:
    - to be famous you had to have actually done something

Cheers.
    Phil.

Some Nikon stuff. I shoot Mirrorless and Mirrorlessless.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lance B View Post
    Most of all this stuff I also remember as I grew up in the 60's under ten years of age and the 70's for my teens. Much of it was a great space in time, but I wouldn't swap many of the mod cons for what we used to have to do.

I remember my father driving us all to Fingal Head (near Tweed Heads) for a annual 2-3 weeks holiday at Christmas. That was wonderful!
    Yep, same generation as me only in my case the destination was Yamba! It was great for fishing then and unspoiled. We had to borrow the rich uncle's car for the holidays to get there and back and I remember once dad smashed the front mudguard on a pub verandah post that was too close to the edge of the gutter. Took some explaining too. I don't think dad enjoyed the rest of that holiday too much and we got our own car the year after.
    Waz
    Be who you are and say what you mean, because those who matter don't mind don't matter and those who mind don't matter - Dr. Seuss...
    D700 x 2 | Nikkor AF 50 f/1.8D | Nikkor AF 85 f/1.8D | Optex OPM2930 tripod/monopod | Enthusiasm ...

The Commander
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haha - I did not realise how many fond memories this thread would bring to light - I am very glad I started it.

I remember holidaying at Augusta in the West when you just found a place in the scrub but regularlars always seemed to have there tent place left
    I remember traveling down in my pops Comer Ute his bond wood boat on the back and this rolled up canvas tent in the back with a kero fridge and metho lamps etc
    I remember using the cane wood rods my pop made to fish with and when the fibre rods were the new modern alternative and Javis Walker was all the rage, and
    I remember the yr the family that always camped next to us rolled up with their brand new Valiant Series with that big spare type boot impresion and all those curvy panels and we all stood around looking at it and my dad and pop talking about the mod cons in it - I think it was a push button radio :-)
    oh, and I remember there was still fish in the ocean to catch and you could guarantee a feed that night and now and then me and pop would go out the tip and shoot a rabbit or two for dinner :-)
    Please be honest with your Critique of my images. I may not always agree, but I will not be offended - CC assists my learning and is always appreciate

https://mikeathome.smugmug.com/

Canon 5D3 - Gripped, EF 70-200 L IS 2.8 MkII, , 24-105 L 4 IS MkI, 580 EX II Speedlite, 2x 430 Ex II Speedlite

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember when at the Saturday Matinee the usherette ( Her name was Mary) Used to hit you over the head with the BIG silver torch if you were playing up , That included rolling Jaffa's down the aisle's , Letting off Crackers in the toilet with a Cigarette delay timer , The Toilets were down the front next to the screen , Eating "White nights" and "Panda" potato chips
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

The Commander
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh yea - when no one was allowed to even whisper and if there was a noise the usher would be flicking the touch light at you and you would be ducking for cover. haha and
    the usher would guide you to your seats if the lights had been dimmed, and
    I remember walking home from the cinema with my family - about 45 mins walk and in those days we walked everywhere and using the car to go somewhere was like a luxury.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember starting school, carrying my brown Globite and sitting on little wooden chairs at desks that still had holes for the inkwell!
    I remember the arrival of the roller disco, and seeing my first mirror ball.
    I remember remember rotary dial telephones in PMG green
    I remember Telecom
    I remember when channel 0/28 arrived (later to become SBS)
    I remember going out to play in the morning and my mum standing at the door hollering my name to come home for dinner hours later

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhoDo View Post
    It's the thread title and those darned ... things that follow it causing a problem, Andrew. It's doing it to me as well.
    Duly reported Waz, I'm not sure what the problem is.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shelly1170 View Post
    I remember starting school, carrying my brown Globite
    Oh, yes, the brown Globite school port! My dad used to sell them which is probably just as well. I remember getting on the school bus and nonchalantly placing my bag in the luggage bay next to the driver. As he drove off I laughed at seeing someone's Globite had gone under the wheels of the bus ... until I realised it was mine!!!

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I @ M View Post
    Duly reported Waz, I'm not sure what the problem is.
    Just edit the thread title to remove the "...." from the end and all will be well, Andrew. Kym sussed this one out a while back but obviously the software still baulks at the dots!

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhoDo View Post
    Just edit the thread title to remove the "...."
    Done, didn't recall that cure.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ta, Andrew. (And yes, I remember when it was polite to say so. Now a grunt will often do, or a non-committal Cheers, often as a closing accompaniment to Chief.)
    CC, Image editing OK.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember when the Internet did not have the web and only serious geeks used it (was waaaay better then)

Punch cards and computers? YUP! http://www.users.on.net/~farnik/wiki...RetroComputing

I remember when I watched Doctor Who - first run episodes on the ABC with William Hartnell, Patrick Troughton, Jon Pertwee, and Tom Baker

I remember when Star Trek had only one captain, James Tiberius Kirk
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    I remember when NZ was more prosperous than Australia
    Which //lel universe was that?

The Commander
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm - better keep tht in mind for future posts - ta

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dear oh dear we still put coins in the Chrissy puddin.....you can buy special ones from the PO. Who ever finds the silver ( or one with the most value ) is the lucky one.....everyone else gets to clear the table!

Amor fati!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1C cobbers... oh yeah!

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ving View Post
    1C cobbers... oh yeah!
    You are a youngun' aren't ya! In my day Cobbers were 4-a-penny which meant if you had a spare farthing you could buy one! That's right, a quarter of a penny!!!

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some fond memories in previous posts.

I remember my first weekend job at the servo in a small country town at about 15 or 16. We used to fill up the fuel, check the oil, wash the windscreen.....oh how things have changed.
    I also remember every boy in our town getting their own .22 when they turned about 12 and weekends were spent wandering the bush & local creeks. No nintendo & facebook crap back then. lol.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ha! ya can remember punched cards. i remember using paper tapes when i was a mainframe operator, and having to press certain buttons in a certain sequence to ipl the system
    cc and enjoy

Photography is painting with light

K1, Pentax 18-250mm zoom, Pentax 100mm macro, Sigma 50-500mm, Pentax 28-105mm
    Velbon Sherpa tripod Photoshop CS6

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember when business accounts and invoices were prepared using a thing called a Comptometer - no electronic whizbangs back then! The girls in the Comp pool were also a hot topic among the young bloods, too!

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast