Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  51
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I Remember When

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back in the early 70s our milk was still being delivered by Horse and Cart
    I can remember cashing in old bottles from the tip and buying a packet of smokes for 99c
    Canon 7d efs 15-85mm, Sigma 150-500mm. Nicon coolpix 5400

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember the fun on Guy Falkes night 5th Nov, We bought crackers and Sky Rockets for weeks before the night

I remember when every kid from an early age had a Shang eye, Slug Gun and a .22 rifle

I remember when cars did'nt have indicators, Remember hand signals

I remember when fuel was 2 shilings a Gallon(4.45ltrs)

I remember when I could go out on a Saturday night for $1.00 (10 Shillings) 2 Bob into the dance, 2/6 for a packet of 15 cigs, 5 bob for a bottle of port

I'll leave it at that - Bill
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

The Commander
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haha - oh yea.

I remember the mechanical hand that hung of the door of the truck and you had a handle that was used to indicate left or right, and

I remember my pops ute that just had this thing that stuck out from the side pillow for an indicatior, and

I rember when we used to light a little fire in the chip heater over the bath so we could have warm water. and

I remember when the we used to go to the cart for milk and give the fella 1 shilling and he would scoop too ladels of milk into the billy can and we would sneak a sip of the cream on it on the way home (and had to make sure we wiped our mouths so mum would not knw), and

I remember when the theme park was the rope hanging from a tree over the river that we would swing out on and do bombies into the river.

And yea Bill, those were great days, a shang eye and pocket knife was all we had and mum and dad had no idea where we were out about in the bush hunting and the only rule was to be home by 5pm. And in the right part of the yr we would pick mushrooms on the way home for breakfast the next morning cooked on one of those old black cast wood stoves :- yum

Great days wern't they Bill
    Please be honest with your Critique of my images. I may not always agree, but I will not be offended - CC assists my learning and is always appreciate

https://mikeathome.smugmug.com/

Canon 5D3 - Gripped, EF 70-200 L IS 2.8 MkII, , 24-105 L 4 IS MkI, 580 EX II Speedlite, 2x 430 Ex II Speedlite

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And here I am trying to forget it all.m.
    CC, Image editing OK.

The Commander
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    And here I am trying to forget it all.m.
    Aw mate - I loved those days but there is defiantely some things I don't miss and some things now I just love, like digital camera's

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i remember taking it in turns to wag school to syit in front of your bonfire you had built and guarding it from being lit before the night
    the other gang on the other side of the river done the same
    i used to end up with that many slugs shot at ya because both sides were armed with slug guns
    and having rocket fights putting rockets in a bottle and firing at each other armed with a metal rubbish bin lid for protection
    i remember the schools giving the small bottle of milk and fruit every day
    i remember at tech school the whole school used to stop and go to the library and watch ali fights

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember when.......

I could buy 5c (6 pence then) worth of chips, wrapped up in newspaper and that would be a belly full.
    I first went to the pub (at around 15-16) and could get four schooners for 10/- ....1 dollar.
    I could catch the bus to the pictures on a saturday (for the matinee), get something to eat besides getting in for the show, then catch the bus home.......total cost..under 20 cents.
    The dunny man came one a week.........
    and
    people (despite being under more hardship and time consuming tasks) had the time to talk more to each other.
    Graeme
    "May the good Lord look down and smile upon your face"......Norman Gunston___________________________________________________
    Nikon: D7000, D80, 12-24 f4, 17-55 f2.8, 18-135, 70-300VR, 35f2, SB 400, SB 600, TC-201 2x converter. Tamron: 90 macro 2.8 Kenko ext. tubes. Photoshop CS2.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They were the good old days for sure
    and I would live them again if I could

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember when coins weren't toxic and your nanna used to bake them into Christmas pudding.
    Can someone explain this to me please? Being a Chinese to start with is hard to understand this.... is it for adding extra iron to the pudding or what?
    Last edited by andylo; 06-07-2011 at 11:30am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Andy, I had to look myself, Apart from getting the Kids to eat the cake, A Nanny trick, I found this

It was common practice to include small silver coins in the pudding mixture, which could be kept by the person whose serving included them.[1] The usual choice was a silver threepence or a sixpence. The coin was believed to bring wealth in the coming year. Despite knowing that a portion might contain a coin, many a Christmas reveller damaged his or her teeth by biting into one, or indeed swallowed one by mistake. However this practice fell away once real silver coins were not available, as it was believed that alloy coins would taint the pudding. Additionally, coins pose a choking hazard. - Bill

The Commander
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by old dog View Post
    I remember when.......

I could buy 5c (6 pence then) worth of chips, wrapped up in newspaper and that would be a belly full.
    I first went to the pub (at around 15-16) and could get four schooners for 10/- ....1 dollar.
    I could catch the bus to the pictures on a saturday (for the matinee), get something to eat besides getting in for the show, then catch the bus home.......total cost..under 20 cents.
    The dunny man came one a week.........
    and
    people (despite being under more hardship and time consuming tasks) had the time to talk more to each other.
    OH yea - A belly full of chips, a pint of milk all for 2 bob and lazing at the water hole to eat it. Had to follow mums rules too, no swiming for 30mins after eating :-), but lazzin in the sun with a belly full of chips and milk made it easy and if you ot bored while waiting you could hope your newspaper wrap had the comic strips and you could read that

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by etherial View Post
    I remember when as kids we would egg someone's house, and if they came out we would RUN LIKE HELL!!!

Not like the tragic circumstances we find in this day and age.
    How times have changed Mic
    I think you are referring to the lady that was stabbed, It makes my (cant say the word) blood boil
    My son is 8 years old and I am dreading the day that he hits the night clubs, its a god dam scary world out there today
    Capital punishment instead of incarceration is my answer, send them all to Hell

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    Andy, I had to look myself, Apart from getting the Kids to eat the cake, A Nanny trick, I found this

It was common practice to include small silver coins in the pudding mixture, which could be kept by the person whose serving included them.[1] The usual choice was a silver threepence or a sixpence. The coin was believed to bring wealth in the coming year. Despite knowing that a portion might contain a coin, many a Christmas reveller damaged his or her teeth by biting into one, or indeed swallowed one by mistake. However this practice fell away once real silver coins were not available, as it was believed that alloy coins would taint the pudding. Additionally, coins pose a choking hazard. - Bill
    Thanks mate... gezz... I thought only Chinese grandma would do crazy stuff to their grand children....

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember when the toilet was outside and once a week a man would come round, open the little door at the back of the dunny and take a rather tar covered can away.
    I remember when the man dropped the can outside our place.
    I remember when the first time I ever heard my dad swear was.
    I remember when the first time I ever saw my mother cry was.
    I remember when first time that I was told that sometimes it isn't good manners to laugh at things that actually are quite funny.

Quite a day that was.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

The Commander
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the thread is broken - I get and error when I try to go to the next page - anyone else?

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mike, I can't see any probs but you might need to change your page view to 100 per page.

Hmmm, if you can't get to the next page and aren't seeing this then there isn't much point.

Who let the rabble in?
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most of all this stuff I also remember as I grew up in the 60's under ten years of age and the 70's for my teens. Much of it was a great space in time, but I wouldn't swap many of the mod cons for what we used to have to do.

I remember my father driving us all to Fingal Head (near Tweed Heads) for a annual 2-3 weeks holiday at Christmas. That was wonderful!
    I remember when elders wer given respect. Yes, I know you should earn it rather than just get it, but I think respect should be given first and then only not applied if that person is not worthy of it and even then I think you should still show some decorum.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lance B View Post
    I remember when elders wer given respect. Yes, I know you should earn it rather than just get it, but I think respect should be given first and then only not applied if that person is not worthy of it and even then I think you should still show some decorum.

+1 - and I am a Gen-Y too!

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by old dog View Post
    I remember when.......

Ah, memories. When I went to school (primary years 3-6) my mother would give me 2/- (20 cents youngun's) to buy lunch on a Monday (no fresh bread due to no weekend baking). For that money I could get a BIG meat pie, a carton of chocolate milk and one of the local shop's special cinnamon Danish pastries! That was a great excuse to go to school on Mondays!

And you're right, Graeme, because 2 bob's worth of chips was enough for a family of four!
    Waz
    Be who you are and say what you mean, because those who matter don't mind don't matter and those who mind don't matter - Dr. Seuss...
    D700 x 2 | Nikkor AF 50 f/1.8D | Nikkor AF 85 f/1.8D | Optex OPM2930 tripod/monopod | Enthusiasm ...

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I @ M View Post
    Mike, I can't see any probs but you might need to change your page view to 100 per page.

Hmmm, if you can't get to the next page and aren't seeing this then there isn't much point.
    It's the thread title and those darned ... things that follow it causing a problem, Andrew. It's doing it to me as well.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast