Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I Remember When

The Commander
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I Remember When

I posted a comment in a thread a little while ago and it got me to thinking how much has changed in life and it could be an interesting thread.

So:

I REMEMBER WHEN

there was a phone box on every corner,

You had to wait for the B & W TV to warm up,

Milk was delivered to the door in glass and cream formed on the top,

The phone had a dial and you had to speak to an operator for long distance calls,

PC's were science fiction, and

Starting a car was a learned technique of positioning the choke, just the right amount of throttle and try not to flood it on cold mornings.

Mike - more mature yrs than most.
    Please be honest with your Critique of my images. I may not always agree, but I will not be offended - CC assists my learning and is always appreciate

https://mikeathome.smugmug.com/

Canon 5D3 - Gripped, EF 70-200 L IS 2.8 MkII, , 24-105 L 4 IS MkI, 580 EX II Speedlite, 2x 430 Ex II Speedlite

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember when:
    A 486 being upgraded to 2 mb of RAM was considered just excessive.

When a mobile phone entailed a large portable carry case.

My Dad had hair
    John
    Nikon D800, D700, Nikkor 14-24 F2.8, 24-70mm F2.8, 50mm F1.8D, 70-200mm F2.8 VRII, Manfrotto 190XB with Q5 PM Head,
    SB-900,600, portable strobist setup & Editing on an Alienware M14x with LR4 and CS5 and a Samsung XL2370 Monitor.

Stormchasing isn't a hobby...its an obsession.
    For my gallery and photography: www.emanatephotography.com

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember when the local butcher home delivered and vegetables were sold from street to street by a green grocer using a horse and cart!
    I remember when every street corner in the busiest parts of Sydney had fresh fruit and veg sellers working from carts.
    I remember when pens were pieces of wood with a little metal nib and ink came in screw top jars that were placed in an ink well on the desk.
    I remember when steam trains were used regularly on suburban train lines.
    I remember when a service station attendant rushed out to fill your fuel tank and clean your windscreen too!
    I remember when soft drinks came in glass bottles and ice creams came in fresh cones.
    I remember when everyone knew the local constable by name and all of the kids were in awe of him.
    I remember when all you needed to have fun was some open space and a few broom handles as props.
    I remember when air conditioned meant the windows opened.
    I remember when the only plastic in cars was in the seats.
    I remember when ice was delivered by truck because we didn't have the home refrigerator yet.
    I remember when we would go to the pictures there were sweet sellers in the aisles during intermission.
    I remember when sample bags at the Easter show were no more than 2 shillings and you only needed one or two to keep you going for days or weeks!
    I remember when you could walk anywhere at night without fear of being accosted and shop keepers had their shops in the front room of their homes.
    I remember when the family that owned a car were considered the rich people on the street.
    I remember when new homes were clad with fibro; wood and brick were for the rich people in the area.
    I remember when calculators looked like rulers with a little sliding section.
    I remember when toys were made of wood and metal.
    I remember when coins weren't toxic and your nanna used to bake them into Christmas pudding.
    I remember when socks that had holes were repaired by ladies with a darning needle and block.
    I remember when radios were big things with lots of dials and funny looking glass tubes that glowed in the dark.
    I remember when light switches were on the ceiling and you pulled a cord to turn them on and off.
    I remember when your shoes got a hole in the sole you took them to a nice man who put all new leather soles on them for 1 shilling!
    I remember when people made their own jam, bread, cakes, icecream, clothes and belts.
    I remember when everyone knew the local bank manager by name and people spoke that name in hushed and reverent tones.
    I remember when your school teacher would stay at the one school for their entire career and often teach two or three generations of one family.

... I think I'd better leave some for someone else, don't you?
    Waz
    Be who you are and say what you mean, because those who matter don't mind don't matter and those who mind don't matter - Dr. Seuss...
    D700 x 2 | Nikkor AF 50 f/1.8D | Nikkor AF 85 f/1.8D | Optex OPM2930 tripod/monopod | Enthusiasm ...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhoDo View Post
    I remember when your school teacher would stay at the one school for their entire career
    I remember when people knew how to use a personal pronoun.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember when you could get the came at school, and most school kids were well behaved!
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.

The Commander
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhoDo View Post
    I remember when the local butcher home delivered and vegetables were sold from street to street by a green grocer using a horse and cart!
    I remember when every street corner in the busiest parts of Sydney had fresh fruit and veg sellers working from carts.
    I remember when pens were pieces of wood with a little metal nib and ink came in screw top jars that were placed in an ink well on the desk.
    I remember when steam trains were used regularly on suburban train lines.
    I remember when a service station attendant rushed out to fill your fuel tank and clean your windscreen too!
    I remember when soft drinks came in glass bottles and ice creams came in fresh cones.
    I remember when everyone knew the local constable by name and all of the kids were in awe of him.
    I remember when all you needed to have fun was some open space and a few broom handles as props.
    I remember when air conditioned meant the windows opened.
    I remember when the only plastic in cars was in the seats.
    I remember when ice was delivered by truck because we didn't have the home refrigerator yet.
    I remember when we would go to the pictures there were sweet sellers in the aisles during intermission.
    I remember when sample bags at the Easter show were no more than 2 shillings and you only needed one or two to keep you going for days or weeks!
    I remember when you could walk anywhere at night without fear of being accosted and shop keepers had their shops in the front room of their homes.
    I remember when the family that owned a car were considered the rich people on the street.
    I remember when new homes were clad with fibro; wood and brick were for the rich people in the area.
    I remember when calculators looked like rulers with a little sliding section.
    I remember when toys were made of wood and metal.
    I remember when coins weren't toxic and your nanna used to bake them into Christmas pudding.
    I remember when socks that had holes were repaired by ladies with a darning needle and block.
    I remember when radios were big things with lots of dials and funny looking glass tubes that glowed in the dark.
    I remember when light switches were on the ceiling and you pulled a cord to turn them on and off.
    I remember when your shoes got a hole in the sole you took them to a nice man who put all new leather soles on them for 1 shilling!
    I remember when people made their own jam, bread, cakes, icecream, clothes and belts.
    I remember when everyone knew the local bank manager by name and people spoke that name in hushed and reverent tones.
    I remember when your school teacher would stay at the one school for their entire career and often teach two or three generations of one family.

... I think I'd better leave some for someone else, don't you?
    Hahahaha We must be close to the same vintage Waz - there is some reminders in your list.

I remember when Wed night was family night and the whole family would get in for sixpence
    I remember before the movie started we all stood up while they played God Save the Queen
    I remember nan putting money in xmas pudding and if you got the sixpence you would be the lucky one as most were threepence coins
    I remember when the town police officer would most likely be having an ale in the pub with your old man an would let him know if you were playing up
    and I remember when beer only came in long knecks women were not allowed in the public bar.

Times have changed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Commander:- I might just have a few years on you.
    Before the movie started we stood whilst God Save The King was played. That changed in Feb '52 of course.
    John.

Canon EOS 50D
    Panasonic Lumix TZ10

The Commander
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnRA View Post
    Commander:- I might just have a few years on you.
    Before the movie started we stood whilst God Save The King was played. That changed in Feb '52 of course.
    Haha, yea sounds like but in 62 they were still doing it i the WA well country areas anyways. Can they used to walk up and down the isle with icecream cones with choc on top.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember the 6 o'clock swill
    I remember when biscuits came to the grocer in large tins and were wieghed and put in paper bags
    cc and enjoy

Photography is painting with light

K1, Pentax 18-250mm zoom, Pentax 100mm macro, Sigma 50-500mm, Pentax 28-105mm
    Velbon Sherpa tripod Photoshop CS6

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember when nurses stood in front of doctors and said "yes Dr, No Dr, not a problem Dr "........and when juniors stood ( with their hands held behind their backs ) in front of nurses and said " yes sister no sister I will sister " ........and I could tell who they were cause they had uniforms on

The Commander
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And I remember when w(rap) was something you did a parcel before you mailed it and my nan's cigarettes were 2 bob a pack
    And the only fast food was fish n' chips or a meat pie.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember when you went camping on the weekend and would get into a debate about who starred in a movie. You would then have to wait until you got back to civilisation to get an encyclopedia out to prove the other person wrong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember getting on a plane that was so old Pontius was the Pilate.

When they stopped to refuel they took on wood.
    Nikon D90, 18-200VR II, Tokina 100mm Macro, Sigma 150-500, Nikkor 35mm, Giotto Rocket Air Blower

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember when I could take a fishing knife in carry on luggage on a plane(international flight)!!! 1987
    Last edited by mrDooba; 04-07-2011 at 7:26pm.
    Chris

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember when as kids we would egg someone's house, and if they came out we would RUN LIKE HELL!!!

Not like the tragic circumstances we find in this day and age.
    Mic

Photography is the art of telling stories with light.

www.michaelgoulding.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Too true

I remember when NZ was more prosperous than Australia

I remember when there was only one tv channel to choose from

I remember punch cards on computers

I remember lift conductors

I remember walking to school
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    I remember lift conductors
    How could I forget! My grandfather was a lift attendant!
    Last edited by WhoDo; 04-07-2011 at 9:49pm.

The Commander
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AND - I remember when a camera was a square box and all you had to do was press a lever and hope for the best - my pops box browning.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember whet at the age of 15 I could sit in the pub after work and have a few beers with dad
    Hmm Thanks Dad
    Canon 7d efs 15-85mm, Sigma 150-500mm. Nicon coolpix 5400

The Commander
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And I remeber when all pubs closed at 10 pm latest and there was only to sessions open on Sunday. We used to call them Sunday sessions and normally was only about 5 hrs of open business.

And I remeber when I parked my car in the car park and left the windows down, the chainsaw and tools in the back and it will all still be then when you came back.

Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast