Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  3
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OMG! I get to buy a new camera!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OMG! I get to buy a new camera!

So, hubby comes home from work today and says "are you going to replace the SLR when we're in Australia?". "No, I'm going to learn to love it" I reply. "Oh, I thought I could have it for work" he says.

This means that I potentially get to buy a new camera when we are in Australia next week! Not nearly enough time to research...but i'm not complaining!

The question is...DSLR or Compact Pro? And which one? Or should I hold off until later in the year (I head back to Australia every few months).

I'm thinking sub $2000. Please bear in mind that I am a shortass so have girly, little hands!

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What gear do you have already? Eg. If you have Nikon lenses (say) already stick with that.

What do you want to shoot? That will have a big influence on gear.

Read this... http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...t_and_Software
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Kym. I don't have much gear at the moment. Just the Oly E-410 and two lenses (which will go to hubby). I also have some relics from my old film days...a couple of Cokin filters and a set of macro filters/lenses. I was quite competent with my old film SLR but am very out of practice. I used to have a pretty good idea what aperture and shutter speed I'd need and then finetune...that skill has now gone!

So I'm pretty much starting from scratch!

As for what I want to shoot, the kids will feature highly as you'd expect. I also want to capture the beauty of PNG which would mean landscapes and festivals. We are hoping to do a bit of travel while we are up here.

My girls are only 4 1/2 and 3 so I can't see myself going on photographic safaris in the near future or being able to spend hours scoping out a site and setting up for the perfect shot!

Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok... Then one of Pentax K-5, Nikon D7000 or Canon 600D + a Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 could be a good basic kit. Add a Sigma 10-20 wideangle for landscape

Edit add a 70-300 if you need more reach
    Last edited by Kym; 02-07-2011 at 5:44pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Shelly,

Lucky girl getting to go shopping As a female, with medium-sized hands, I can recommend the Nikon D7000. It is a great camera, easy to use with everything within reach. I got the 18-200mm lens as an all-rounder, as it is not too heavy, is perfect for landscapes and is just very versatile, especially if you are going to travel around. You don't want to be laden down with several lenses.

I hope this helps and have fun shopping!
    D7000, Nikon 18-200mm, Nikon 105mm Macro, Sigma 150-500mm
    CC always welcome
    "Be satisfied with your life, and you'll put yourself in the optimum position to make it even better"
    Cheryl

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the recommendations. I'm up at stupid-o'clock (3AM) to get my flight to Australia. Wooho!!!

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any o'clock is a good time to buy a new camera.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pentax K-5... it's very similar to that D7000 but Pentax has some rather nice, small, compact prime lenses available that would be ideal for travelling. Or perhaps step down a notch in the body (Kr/Kx/D3100) and spend the savings on lenses.

I'd be favouring Pentax for those pancake primes, but then I am the least tolerant person I know when it comes to weighty gear. (I'd also be favouring Pentax because of the whole Ricoh thing but that is a completely different discussion that belongs elsewhere.)
    Panasonic GH2 --- Pana 7-14mm --- Pana 100-300mm --- Pana f1.7/20mm --- Panaleica f2.8/45mm macro --- Pana 14-45mm
    Canon G10 when I want to pocket it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would have a look at the Olympus EP3 (just released) it is an interchangeable lens camera but is mirrorless. Panasonic make a version and so do sony (NEX5 - I think). But the thing is these are all very small compact cameras with the quality of an entry level DSLR. A lot of people use these types of camera as their travel companion because of their size. So have a look at the mirrorless interchangeable lens camera that are around.
    Website - McGoo Photography
    Sean | Olympus E5 | Olympus e620 | Zuiko 7-14 | Zuiko 35-100 SHG | Zuiko 14-54 | Zuiko 70-300 | OM 50mm | Panagor macro converter | CPL filter | FL-50R flash |

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by olympuse620 View Post
    I would have a look at the Olympus EP3 (just released) it is an interchangeable lens camera but is mirrorless. Panasonic make a version and so do sony (NEX5 - I think). But the thing is these are all very small compact cameras with the quality of an entry level DSLR. A lot of people use these types of camera as their travel companion because of their size. So have a look at the mirrorless interchangeable lens camera that are around.
    The Oly and Panasonic versions use the same lens mount. The lenses are all (significantly) lighter than lenses on 'normal' (APC) crop sensor dslrs, so it isn't just a weight saving in the body. The sensor is a bit smaller though (m43rds), so low light performance is not as good as the newer larger sensor cameras (having said that, it does rival previous generation bodies for noise, so don't be thinking it is terrible).

The Sony NEX use an APC sized sensor, reducing the weight of the camera body by removing the mirror (and a lot of physical controls). The high ISO performance is better than a m43rd's, but the lenses are not as light so you don't get the same portability (if that is important to you.)

The Ricoh GXR takes sensor-lens modules. These can be expensive because buying a new lens means buying a new sensor at the same time. However, there is a sensor-lens-mount module (m-mount, a Leica mount), and having just bought out Pentax, I think it is pretty obvious that there will be a K mount module on its way as well - the Pentax lens range suits it too well not to. Being able to use the same lenses on your full sized body as with your 'compact' body is attractive.

If you do consider mirrorless, there are some good articles on Thom Hogan's page (bythom.com) which do more than just review test figures. My only criticism of his opinions on them is that he doesn't consider the advantage of overall kit weight - he just talks about size/weight of body+lens for carrying in your pocket. Whereas I like the fact that my entire kit, including the bag, weighs less than some people's lenses.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, Andrew, I agree with you 100%!!!

I am heading to Camera House tomorrow to have a sticky beak. It will be my first "hands on" session with the potential new toys!

I was actually looking at the Sony Nex-5 online. It gets some really good reviews. But I am still having trouble getting my head around a CAMERA made by Sony...I mean, these people made my TV!

Definitely I will be trying on some SLRs for size! Weight is a definite issue as are the lenses. As much as I would love the luxury of being able to have a whole arsenal of fancy, expensive lenses, the budget doesn't stretch that far and neither does my lifestyle at the moment. I find it a pain in the butt to have to change to the zoom with the Oly E-410 as it is and am thinking of getting a more compact lens for it for hubby to use.

I hadn't actually considered Pentax so will now include those on the list.

The whole interchangeable lens cameras are new to me. It's a steep learning curve to get up to speed!

I'm currently in Forster visiting my family and things are a bit busy. Trying to keep my 4 1/2 and 3 year old daughters and my brother's 18 month old german shepherd all under control! Looking forward to getting to Sydney later in the week so I can relax a bit!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would also consider the larger camera bodies (eg. the prosumer models), although they are bigger they (imo) have better controls. Go to the shops and have a feel is my advice

Quote Originally Posted by I @ M View Post
    Any o'clock is a good time to buy a new camera.
    This is true, however when you stay up till 3.30 to bid on ebay and lose, its pretty depressing
    1DIII, 5DII, 15mm fish, 24mm ts-e, 35L,135L,200L,400L,mpe-65mm
    Film: eos 300, pentax 6x7

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK...went to the local Camera House up here and unfortunately they didn't have stock of anything I really wanted to look at. I managed to get my hands on a Canon 600D, a Pentax K (?) and a Nikon D3100. I found both the Canon and Pentax quite difficult to hold as the hand grips are quite large. The Nikon, however, was a comfortable fit.

I was given a price of $1540 for the body and a Tamron 18-270 lens. Not convinced about the lens...

I will be able to get a better idea in Sydney where I have more range to look at.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nikon or Canon, much a muchness. I wouldn't go outside those two brands for long term sustainability and expandability
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Given the brief of your intended shooting I would steer clear of a superzoom like the Tamron and look at a better quality 18-55 ish lens as a starting point.

Don't rush into any "fantastic deals" that stores offer you, check back in here with all the ideas and let a few people guide you before you splash the cash.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stupid iPhone ate my post! OK...hope to have a look in shops in Sydney over the weekend and purchase on Monday. I think I know what compact camera I want, so just have to decide on an SLR. And a video camera. And a tripod. And a bag.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Elohim! Made it to Sydney. I stopped in at Paxtons to make some initial enquiries. My little girls were a bit feral so I was 't there long. I told the salesman I was after a compact and a DSLR.

He recommended instead a just released Olympus EPL2. I haven't been "hands on" yet as I was restraining the children but it looked great!

Packages I was offered were

14-42 for $799
    14-42 and 40-150 for $999
    14-150 for $1299

Any thoughts?

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My thoughts, ask the "salesman" why he didn't recommend the newly released Olympus EPL3 instead of the "older" model.

I think that you really need to research more and decide whether you want a DSLR + a compact or a mirrorless interchangeable lens camera such as the Olympus.

No, I am not putting down one idea or another, all 3 formats have some very good points and features amongst them but they vary a lot in the way that you "drive" them.

Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would suggest that the EPL2 would be too limited in the long run due to the 4/3 sensor and a very limited range of lenses.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm off to do some research now as hubby has finally turned up in Sydney with the iPad.

The salesman did give me the pricing for the EPL3 and it was the one I was looking at, I just hit the wrong button on my phone when I was posting!

I can see the reason behind getting a mirror less. It would mean potentially only having one camera for most activities. On the downside, it's much bigger than a compact.

My question is, is the IQ much more superior than, say the XZ-1, and how far inferior is it than a DSLR.

I have until Monday to decide!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast