Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  36
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Discrimination or not

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffsta View Post
    The discriminatary part of it was. As I was leaving there was a family of 5 obviously going up there to camp. They were all super fit. You know the ones. Big flash 4x4, dad with the calf musles the size of footballs, Super fit mum with no boobs, teenage kids decked out in the lastest hiking gear, all wearing the $400 hiking boots, and carrying enough gear for a day or two.
    They would go up there and; Light fires, cut fire wood, spread their rubbish, trample everything to death, twice as much as a group of people with gimpy legs, who would have a bit of a look around, maybe take some photos, then leave.
    You must remember that this area is a six hour drive from Melbourne, and a two hour drive from any small town, with more wild horses in the area than there would be visitors during a weekday ( I did get to see a stallion while I was there. To far away and too quick for me to take a shot.)
    Wow, what a bad generalisation. I'm pretty sure if saw me and my friends then you'd throw up too. Unfortunately we are fit and well equipped. Just because people have decent gear and aren't dorky looking doesn't mean they will disrespect the environment.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It may be an awful generalization but, unfortunately, it is often very true.

The weekend warrior types who turn up with all the gear and no idea and think she'll be right.

Generally, when the guy gets out of his 4wd and starts spit-polishing the mud flaps... Not good
    Canon 7D : Canon EF 70-200mm f:2.8 L IS II USM - Canon EF 24-105 f:4 L IS USM - Canon EF 50mm f:1.8 - Canon EF-s 18-55mm f:3.5-5.6
    Sigma APO 150-500mm f:5-6.3 DG OS HSM
    - Sigma 10-20mm f:3.5 EX DC HSM
    Speedlite 580 EX II - Nissin Di866 II - Yongnuo 460-II x2 - Kenko extension tube set - Canon Extender EF 1.4x II
    Manfroto monopod - SILK 700DX Pro tripod - Remote release - Cokin Z-Pro filter box + Various filters

Current Social Experiment: CAPRIL - Wearing a cape for the month of April to support Beyond Blue
    Visit me on Flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps we should use the old saying "don't judge a book by its cover"

Way Down Yonder in the Paw Paw Patch jim's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec View Post
    Perhaps we should use the old saying "don't judge a book by its cover"
    How else are you supposed to judge a book? You can't read it in the shop.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The discriminatary part of it was. As I was leaving there was a family of 5 obviously going up there to camp. They were all super fit. You know the ones. Big flash 4x4, dad with the calf musles the size of footballs, Super fit mum with no boobs, teenage kids decked out in the lastest hiking gear, all wearing the $400 hiking boots, and carrying enough gear for a day or two.
    They would go up there and; Light fires, cut fire wood, spread their rubbish, trample everything to death, twice as much as a group of people with gimpy legs, who would have a bit of a look around, maybe take some photos, then leave.
    You must remember that this area is a six hour drive from Melbourne, and a two hour drive from any small town, with more wild horses in the area than there would be visitors during a weekday ( I did get to see a stallion while I was there. To far away and too quick for me to take a shot.)
    So because they weren't unkept, filthy, dreadlock toting, cheesecloth skirted, tiedye shirted, dope smokin' hippies there is no way they could be passionate about the environment? Generalisations don't help anybodies cause, ever. Sounds to me like they have made a big effort to get there and be safe, what would be the sense in then destroying what they came to enjoy.
    Canon 50D - Zuiko 28/2.8 50/1.8 100/2.8 - Tokina 11-16/2.8

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by terry.langham View Post
    So because they weren't unkept, filthy, dreadlock toting, cheesecloth skirted, tiedye shirted, dope smokin' hippies there is no way they could be passionate about the environment? Generalisations don't help anybodies cause, ever. Sounds to me like they have made a big effort to get there and be safe, what would be the sense in then destroying what they came to enjoy.
    Sitting back relaxing in my car in Boolarra, A small country town in Gippsland. I was parked in front of the local shop, When the good looking driver in the car parked in front of me says to her friend who looked respectable also, could you please empty my Ash Tray
    Straight in the F______g gutter all the butts went.
    4 or 5 more steps she would have been at the bin.
    There are pigs in amongst us and you just never know who they are.
    Me and a mate went camping at Woods point not so long ago and camped at a spot that was only, just big enough to fit a fire, which was already there, my Hilux
    and tent.
    After 6 days you could not tell that we had been there.
    All the biodegradables go into the fire and the rest into the empty eskies.
    I do not scatter shit through the bush.
    Not now, Because I have grown up.
    BUT 27 years ago I didn't give a shit what I threw out of the car window,
    McDonalds wrappers and as much shit that I could shovel
    Im not sure whether I am speaking for myself. but think back to your youth.
    I just hope that we learn from our mistakes
    Last edited by Duane Pipe; 04-07-2011 at 9:06pm.
    Canon 7d efs 15-85mm, Sigma 150-500mm. Nicon coolpix 5400

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    Wow, what a bad generalisation. I'm pretty sure if saw me and my friends then you'd throw up too. Unfortunately we are fit and well equipped. Just because people have decent gear and aren't dorky looking doesn't mean they will disrespect the environment.....
    Quote Originally Posted by terry.langham
    A. I didn't say they make me want to vomit. In fact I admire them, and strive to be that fit one day.
    B. I haven't mentioned anything in this whole thread about greenies.
    Someone mentioned earlier in the thread that if access was easier there would be people up there lighting fires, cutting firewood and so on and so on. But if a group of people who are reasonably fit can get to the location (which now days is getting more and more common) will do just that.
    I work within the health system, and deal mainly with the elderly and disabled. And we often do day trips. I thought it would be nice for these people to see this area, see where the Murrey River starts, and enjoy the scenery just like anyone else. But because of the situation with its access being such a great distance, it would be impossible.
    Is this discrimination or not.
    Last edited by geoffsta; 04-07-2011 at 10:21pm.
    Geoff
    Honesty is best policy.
    CC is always welcome
    Nikon D3000 ... Nikon D90... Nikon D700 Various lenses, Home studio equipment and all the associated stuff
    Flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...Is this discrimination or not.
    It's not discrimination, it's just reality. True, it is a harsh reality that some people miss out on certain activities and experiences because they have physical impairments.

Is it fair that they can't get to remote locations? No. But then it's not fair they're disabled in the first place either.
    Canon DSLRs & lenses | Fuji X series & lenses | Ricoh GR

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jules View Post
    It's not discrimination, it's just reality. True, it is a harsh reality that some people miss out on certain activities and experiences because they have physical impairments.

Is it fair that they can't get to remote locations? No. But then it's not fair they're disabled in the first place either.
    It used to be reality that many disabled people were not able to work in office buildings or ride trains etc.

Gee, I'm glad that we became more civilised and allowed them to emerge from hiding and do normal things.

Not much different with parks.

Scotty

PS. Only 100 years ago, it was considered that women were incapable of voting or going to uni. We got over over small mindedness about that and accommodated them.

Ditto for disabled and office buildings and public transport. Why is this different?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, and when there's been some time to plan and implement ecologically-sound infrastructure to allow physically impaired people safe access to remote areas, then we'll all be happy, won't we? Until then, the reality remains that some people cannot access some areas in this great big continent of ours. Give it some time though Scotty, things can change.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jules

A quick simple answer to the question.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe that it was Martin Luther King Jnr who once said, 'There is no time to engage in the luxury of cooling off or to take the tranquilizing drug of gradualism.'

And some Pommie bloke said that, 'Justice delayed is justice denied.'

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    MLK wasn't referring to the Australian "bush", and Jules addressed injustice just fine.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why didn't i think of this before. SHIT....
    I was in the Thompson Catchment on the 30/06/2011, Taking photos
    of my friends property and I came across a 4x4 bogged to the arse In mud, It had a
    Tasmanian forestry emblem on the door
    I asked if they needed a hand, as I do
    After a chit chat they told me that they were out testing new tankers for the DSE.
    Bloody bull shit.
    They were playing in the mud I did not take a picture but I really regret that now.
    When the rest of their crew showed up they were all laughing and taking photos of a
    situation that i would not get in and you would have to be a Dick Head Too, becouse I could see that the ruts were three feet deep. Yippy Look at me
    Frigging Paid to destroy the bush
    Now Who are we protecting the bush from again
    Here is a link to the local news

http://www.wintv.com.au/western_vict...ews/item/42244
    Last edited by Duane Pipe; 05-07-2011 at 12:28am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    in the 70s I was working in the Northen Flinders Ranges,which at that time was inaccessible to any form of transport,Camel Trains was the only means of getting close but couldn`t get into the area.The company that I worked for cut roads into this area.

The Bulldozer operator slipped off the side of one track he was building and took three days to get back on,when the enviormentalist complained about the desecration of the countryside it was pointed out if it wasnt for the tracks you wouldn`t have known what it looked like.

We will always have this problem because someone wants to create a noise instead of finding a solution for all involved.

Jack.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234