User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Tripod recommendations please!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tripod recommendations please!

I'm heading back to Australia on Sunday and would like to get a new tripod.

I would like to use it with my Olympus E-410 (which I'm learning to love!) and whatever compact I end up buying on this trip. We're also looking at buying a video camera so I can record my little girls at ballet and swimming and would like to be able to tripod mount.

I had a Velbon tripod about 15 years ago. It's probably still in a packing box somewhere! But it was really too bulky to cart around.

I'm only a shorty at 5'3" so don't need anything giraffe height! I'd like something compact and lightweight so I can easily pack it for trips (I head out of PNG every few months).

Any recommendations? And any recommendations on where to head in Sydney CBD?

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you search on site you will get a range of recommendations, to fit whatever budget you have in mind. Many experienced photographers will tell you not to stint on your tripod choice, because otherwise you will be forever upgrading. Having made the journey from light but useless SLIK, through solid but heavy manfrotto to gorgeous carbon gitzo, I can tell you that you are much more likely to actually take out and use a better quality lighter tripod. Benro seem to get a few good recommendations here, though I don't have one so can't comment - they have a shop in Sydney too.

Feisol also look good.

Now don't get me started on ballheads....
    Last edited by coolie21; 03-07-2011 at 7:43am.
    Alan
    -------------------------------------------
    Olympus OM-1, EM-1, Canon 5DMkII, and a few other bits and bobs

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, completely relate. The sturdy, but cumbersome, Velbon rarely got a run. Will have to have a play "in store" I suspect.