Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Macro 35mm or 50mm

Ausphotography Regular Floribunda's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Macro 35mm or 50mm

I haven't done much macro and up to date have been happy with the lens I have to do closeup work.

I am thinking of purchasing either the 35mm or the 50mm. There is a big difference in price and I am wondering if starting out with the 35mm would be a good idea, or do I bite the bullet and go for the more expensive 50mm.
    I am not that interested in portraits, it would be used mainly to get inside flowers and photograph insects.
    If anyone has either of these, I would appreciate some feedback or advice. Thanks.
    Lyn.
    Cheers Lyn.

Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II and various lenses.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day Lyn.
    It's nice to find another friend here.

I have the ZD35 macro & haven't really put it to much use as light for really close macro work is a little more of a challenge (& some bugs run away if that close), but maybe floral work would be quite good, especially for it's price. I've tended to use the ZD14-54 II lens more because of it's nice close focussing ability & also larger aperture (& it is normally on the camera for general use). The ZD50 macro is (by reports) a really sharp lens but for true 1:1 macro the EX25 needs to added to it to get close enough or the more expensive EC20 (2 X converter) for more distance & that would make it a 100mm f4 lens (instead of 50mm f2).

For myself, I went for the Sigma 150mm macro lens but they are running out (or very low) of stock since they've stopped making them for 4/3s. There is also the Sigma 105 macro lens too (also remaining stock only).

I would also pose the question in the UK for some honest answers.

Cheers
    Ross
    I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
    Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
    Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
    Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
    Software: Capture One Pro 12 (& Olympus Workspace).

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
    G'day Lyn.
    It's nice to find another friend here.

I have the ZD35 macro & haven't really put it to much use as light for really close macro work is a little more of a challenge (& some bugs run away if that close), but maybe floral work would be quite good, especially for it's price. I've tended to use the ZD14-54 II lens more because of it's nice close focussing ability & also larger aperture (& it is normally on the camera for general use). The ZD50 macro is (by reports) a really sharp lens but for true 1:1 macro the EX25 needs to added to it to get close enough or the more expensive EC20 (2 X converter) for more distance & that would make it a 100mm f4 lens (instead of 50mm f2).

For myself, I went for the Sigma 150mm macro lens but they are running out (or very low) of stock since they've stopped making them for 4/3s. There is also the Sigma 105 macro lens too (also remaining stock only).

I would also pose the question in the UK for some honest answers.

Cheers
    Hi Ross - I had to check my eyesight to make sure I was on the right forum when your reply came in! I am easily confused!
    Thanks for taking the bother to reply - I have also posed this question on the UK forum - there was quite a helpful thread there already.
    I have now purchased the 35mm Macro - figured the price was just to good to pass up and it will give me an opportunity to see if I have the patience for Macro. No doubt the 50mm may have been better, but didn't want to outlay that amount just now.
    I am thinking more of my floral photographs, where quite often there is a little bug in the centre of the flower.
    Looking at some of the macro work on the forum it will be a long, long time before I post anything!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking at some of the macro work on the forum it will be a long, long time before I post anything!

As soon as you have some work to post - get it out there. Everyone here is very friendly and are more than willing to give you some constructive criticism. You need to know what is wrong to improve and a lot of the time we miss things in our own work.
    Website - McGoo Photography
    Sean | Olympus E5 | Olympus e620 | Zuiko 7-14 | Zuiko 35-100 SHG | Zuiko 14-54 | Zuiko 70-300 | OM 50mm | Panagor macro converter | CPL filter | FL-50R flash |

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Floribunda View Post
    Hi Ross - I had to check my eyesight to make sure I was on the right forum when your reply came in! I am easily confused!
    Thanks for taking the bother to reply - I have also posed this question on the UK forum - there was quite a helpful thread there already.
    I have now purchased the 35mm Macro - figured the price was just to good to pass up and it will give me an opportunity to see if I have the patience for Macro. No doubt the 50mm may have been better, but didn't want to outlay that amount just now.
    I am thinking more of my floral photographs, where quite often there is a little bug in the centre of the flower.
    Lyn, just a hint with the ZD35 macro lens, although it will auto focus (which isn't fast being a macro lens) it would probably be better to switch to MF for close up work to get the focus exactly where you want it, such as the eyes of a spider in amongst the petals of a flower. Hope you have lots of fun with it.

Cheers,

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
    Lyn, just a hint with the ZD35 macro lens, although it will auto focus (which isn't fast being a macro lens) it would probably be better to switch to MF for close up work to get the focus exactly where you want it, such as the eyes of a spider in amongst the petals of a flower. Hope you have lots of fun with it.

Cheers,

Thanks Ross - At the moment I am feeling a bit daunted and feeling as if I have bitten off more than I can chew - especially when I look at Huw's work!!!
    My MF has needed work for a long time, so now I must bite the bullet and get stuck in!

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by olympuse620 View Post

As soon as you have some work to post - get it out there. Everyone here is very friendly and are more than willing to give you some constructive criticism. You need to know what is wrong to improve and a lot of the time we miss things in our own work.
    So true - Thanks. This is a great forum and a great place to learn.