User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: Wiki

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wiki

I'd normally probably PM Kym or Rick regarding these queries, but I thought the answers might be interesting to others as well, so I am making a thread :-)

Regarding the Wiki that's integrated with AP (great idea, btw), I have some questions...

• How 'hard' is it to set up? (I know "hard" is a relative measure and quite subjective, but maybe compare it to how "hard" vBulletin is to set up or upgrade)
    • Does it allow granular control of who can edit pages? E.g. can certain pages be editable by a certain usergroup, but not another usergroup?
    • If you had to start again, would you still implement the Wiki as an integrated component of vB or would you do it as a "separate" page using mediawiki or something?
    • Is it "successful"? Is there anything you'd do differently if you started from scratch?

Cheers
    Craig

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have a grasp of vBulletin admin, MySQL and PHP its not hard.

Access is controlled in the same way as forum access, in fact the Library (Wiki) sections are forums.

VaultWiki does take some wrangling to beat it into shape. It extends the forum model including security.
    Richard has in test on F&P.

It is reasonably well documented and support seems good.

The main thing is to plan your Wiki structure and security.
    It is highly recommended setting it up in a test site before inflicting it on your users.
    Last edited by Kym; 30-06-2011 at 11:28am.
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Kym. I've looked through the documentation, etc, but there's nothing like getting feedback from someone who's done it and who is using it :-)

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I decide to implement it on my site I guess I need the enterprise/pro (whatever it's called) version because I'd want version control/viewing...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found the same thing, it's not hard to install and configure if you've got a handle on the admin-side of vB, but as Kym's said it does take some wrestling with it to mould it into form so you get what you want from it. How to organise the content was the biggest challenge I found, particularly when trying to organise content taxonomically and fitting that into VW's structures.

Definitely plan and organise the structure first on a test site! I found the documentation a bit scant in parts, but the support isn't too bad. Best to get ya hands dirty and play with it I found.

Quote Originally Posted by gcflora View Post
    If I decide to implement it on my site I guess I need the enterprise/pro (whatever it's called) version because I'd want version control/viewing...
    Yes, definitely go for the premium version, found the free version really lacking.
    Last edited by Richard Hall; 06-07-2011 at 10:42pm.
    www.richardhallphotography.com

Atheism is Myth-understood

can't remember
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alternatively, you could use Mediawiki, which is incredibly flexible and powerful, and 100% free. That's the good news. The bad news is that it is far from simple to administer unless you stick closely to the "out of the box" look and feel. Its power will thrill you, and the combination of chaotic architecture and spotty documentation will turn your hair grey.
    Last edited by Tannin; 06-07-2011 at 10:44pm.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Richard and Tannin

Yeah, I've considered mediawiki as well (I use it as my personal wiki to keep my notes and writing snippets... bit of an overkill perhaps, but it works for what I need). My reluctance to use mediawiki stems from the fact that I'm not sure how well I could integrate it with vB...

Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We considered several Wiki technologies including Mediawiki.
    We went with VaultWiki as its highly integrated into the forum, esp. at the management and security levels.
    Given the goals we had for a Wiki on AP, VaultWiki was the best choice.

Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BTW: Content is King

A wiki without a purpose and useful content is pointless.