Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  17
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just a question

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just a question

Since getting interested in photography over the last couple of months one aspect that i didn't realise was how many photographers use photo editing software to post process their images. Now i know they go hand in hand and in an ideal world it would be good to be good at both of these things but the question in my mind is..are you better off to be a good photographer with bad photo editing skills or a bad photograper with good photo editing skills.

I am a new to all of this so hope that this is not a silly question but just wondered what other peoples thoughts were on this.

Ruski

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A good photographer won't need any extensive editing prowess to produce good images, whereas a bad photographer will be entirely dependant on it...
    Last edited by crf529; 30-06-2011 at 10:50am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like that answer :-)

You can be a good or even great photographer without editing skills, but, you'd also be significantly disadvantaged and cutting yourself short if you aren't very good at both

My nanny told me that you can't make a silk purse out of a cow's ear.
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the quotes that has been put around this forum is (and I whole heartedly agree) - "get it right in camera first!".
    You still need to learn all the aspects of good photography because no amount of PP is going to fix a bad photo.

Trust me, I know. I posted a photo up here back in Jan/Feb and I couldn't get it right. Others tried to make it better but it was a crap photo - the light was at the wrong time of the day, it was totally overcast and it was a dull, flat, lifeless image that just couldn't be make to look even slightly good.

So, you can make a good photo great with PP, but not a bad photo. PP should be done on all digital images anyway, especially if you shoot RAW - sharpening, levels, white balance etc, but the rest really just enhance the image that you have IMHO.
    Monika
    Equipment: Canon 60D, Nikon FE, Nikkor 50mm 1.8 lens, Fancier FT-662A tripod, 18-55mm kit lens, 55-250mm kit lens, 30mm 1.4 Sigma lens, LR4, PS Elements
    Check out my Flickr photos ... http://www.flickr.com/photos/missmonny/
    ... and then you can like me on www.facebook.com/PhotoByMB or see my shop on http://www.redbubble.com/people/msmonny

The Commander
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post

You can be a good or even great photographer without editing skills, but, you'd also be significantly disadvantaged and cutting yourself short if you aren't very good at both

Me too - that answer about sums it up.
    Please be honest with your Critique of my images. I may not always agree, but I will not be offended - CC assists my learning and is always appreciate

https://mikeathome.smugmug.com/

Canon 5D3 - Gripped, EF 70-200 L IS 2.8 MkII, , 24-105 L 4 IS MkI, 580 EX II Speedlite, 2x 430 Ex II Speedlite

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree with Ms Monny comments, I too have taken and posted here a bad photo of the SS Dickie and there was nothing anyone could do to make it better.

From all the photographers I have learnt from (here and others) the main thing is to learn and understand photography and get it right in camera, every image taken in Raw needs processing in some way. If you think back to film all film had to be developed and processed in a dark room, similar with Digital our "darkroom" is now our computer and editing software. I have also learnt on this forum that if you do not process your image it will remain flat, soft etc. You need to bring your image to life (so to speak)

Just my 2 cents
    Kassy
    Nikon D700
    CC Welcome and Appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Both are important skills. Whether you possess one, the other, both or neither doesn't really matter. Do what you like doing.

On a professional level, some people do both, others do one or the other.

Examples; many in advertising photography will have a person or whole team who process for them in-house. Others will outsource it. Others will hand over to the client who then employs a post production team to work on them.

Marcus Bleasdale, one of the best documentary photographers around today, outsources much of his post production work to a team of digital wizards. Of course he will be the one who does the edit (choosing the photographs that get processed). And yes, post production is just as important in documentary work, non of this 'straight out of camera' rubbish.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No matter what we do in life there is always somethings were better at and others not so good at most things will go hand in hand a mechanic can't fix a car with out his tools a cook can't cook with out a kitchen a doctor can't do his or her job with out his tools. I look at photo editing programs a tool that is available to be used did the photographer of yesteryear have a dark room ? bet ya life he/she did now days we have digital camera's and digital dark room think about how could a photographer do photography with out the his aides all the things we use to help us are good things lens tripods and of cause out digital dark room our editing darkrooms
    All experts were once beginners

Nikon D3100 18 55 kit lens Nikon 35 mm Nikon 70 300mm optex tripod

MWAH! Sandy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a good example of what PP can do for you.

This is the original image.
    FireFlowersOrig-6771.jpg

The exposure etc are fine, but the photo is flat and uninteresting.

Now, with a bit of PP in Lightroom it looks like this

June11-(6-of-7)-2.jpg

Once you get familiar with using the software, you'll find that the computer work is almost as much fun as the actual taking of the photos.
    Once someone can show you what to do and how to do it, you'll find it quite easy to learn and once you've learned a few things, it's easy to try more and more and you'll find what seems very daunting in the beginning, to be easy and a lot of fun to do.
    Last edited by Bennymiata; 30-06-2011 at 3:02pm.
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love editing as much as I love taking the photo, I am slowly getting better at both photography and editing and I just LOVE photoshop.

But in saying that I love when I dont have to do alot of editing on a photo, its satisfying!

It all depends on your style, and I believe that editing skills are a very important part of photography.
    Cheers
    Emma

Avoid shooting with a 12 gauge shotgun. Use a Canon instead.

Canon 5D, Canon 7D, 50mm 1.4, 18-55mm, Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 VC, Sigma 70-200mm f2.8, 580EX Speedlight. Facebook

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It pretty much sums it up in the above posts.
    I have a 2 minute rule with my photos. If it looks like it will take more than 2 minutes to process, I leave it alone, or delete it.
    Mind you I have a slow computer. If I had my sons computer, I'd bring that down to a 30 second rule.
    What I do is open in camera raw, adjust exposure, contrast and maybe add a bit of clarity. (If it needs it) Then I open it in CS5, check the curves, save it as a .tiff file, and then save it for the web, so I can upload it to flickr.
    Last edited by geoffsta; 30-06-2011 at 4:29pm.
    Geoff
    Honesty is best policy.
    CC is always welcome
    Nikon D3000 ... Nikon D90... Nikon D700 Various lenses, Home studio equipment and all the associated stuff
    Flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffsta View Post
    It pretty much sums it up in the above posts.
    I have a 2 minute rule with my photos. If it looks like it will take more than 2 minutes to process, I leave it alone, or delete it.
    Mind you I have a slow computer. If I had my sons computer, I'd bring that down to a 30 second rule.
    What I do is open in camera raw, adjust exposure, contrast and maybe add a bit of clarity. (If it needs it) Then I open it in CS5, check the curves, save it as a .tiff file, and then save it for the web, so I can upload it to flickr.
    Of course it depends on what you're doing. For example, if I've shot 1,200 images at an event, I'll try to spend less than 30 seconds on each one where I can. But, if I'm putting together some complex composite with 30 layers in Photoshop, I'll generally spend a bit longer on it.

Out of interest, why take your images into PS for curves adjustments? At the raw stage you have more data to shuffle around.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by James T
    why take your images into PS for curves adjustments
    I like to just last minute check before I save as a .tiff (Monitor is not calibrated) I'm also not all that good with Photoshop, but I'm slowly getting there.
    Quote Originally Posted by James T
    complex composite with 30 layers in Photoshop
    Boy.. Would I like to know how to do that.
    Last edited by geoffsta; 30-06-2011 at 4:55pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post

just a little bit picky but should that be a sows ear
    Wayne

Canon 7D and stuff
    Olympus OMD - EM10

https://www.flickr.com/photos/34371137@N03/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rookie View Post
    I challenge you to make one out of either..

EDIT: and while we're being picky, it would be sow's, not sows.
    Last edited by James T; 30-06-2011 at 6:09pm.

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rookie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by James T View Post
    I challenge you to make one out of either..

EDIT: and while we're being picky, it would be sow's, not sows.
    C'mon guys, this is Kiwi we are talking about, he is used to only having to deal with sheep.

Maybe it should be a ewe's ear.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Code:
    C'mon guys, this is Kiwi we are talking about, he is used to only having to deal with sheep.

Maybe it should be a ewe's ear.
    sorry I just could not stop laughing so funny

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Defriend x 3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Post process is part of photography, just like how chefs learns to plate up.
    kevinLi - Melbourne fashion, advertising photographer/assistant

kevinLi Portfolio | kevinLi Blog | 500px

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast