User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  8

View Poll Results: To buy or not to buy...

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • No I wouldn't buy an iPad?

14 51.85%
  • If you own one, do you find it a useful tool?

8 29.63%
  • Would you buy one?

6 22.22%
  • How do you rate it?

4 14.81%
  • What do you use your iPad for?

4 14.81%
  • Is it worth it?

3 11.11%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: To buy or not to buy an iPad (poll and comments please) :-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bought an Ipad2 about a week ago 32g Wifi, not into movies or games so I reckoned the mid sizes capacity would do fine.
    Use it mostly for storing photos, accessing the web, using Skype, whilst sitting in the sunshine on the front porch & other places around the house.
    I didn't buy it to replace my 'puter but to use it where my 'puter aint.
    Have a mate in Melbourne & of course I had to show him my new toy. Closed down Skype on the PC & fired up the Ipad. Then, holding the tablet in front of me I gave him a tour of the house, inside & out pointing out things that had changed since his last visit.
    Of course I was a little concerned that the neighbours might contact the lads in white coats but I think I got away with it.
    Like most things tech these days, it's no good buying something then complaining it doesn't have certain features .... How many times have you seen posts about camera owners bemoaning the fact that their camera doesn't have functions of a more expensive job or that of another brand ?
    Love my Ipad even with it's limitations just as I like my PC & camers with their limitations.
    John.

Canon EOS 50D
    Panasonic Lumix TZ10

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ms Monny View Post
    I was about to buy an iPad a couple of weeks ago (and my hubby can claim in on tax). I have an iPhone and a laptop but I was thinking of using it to store photos while away on my o/s holiday. Then I got to thinking about its other uses...

* I use my iPhone apps, so why would I use the iPad as well. My iPhone is alot more portable and it can make calls!

>> ipad2 can use face skype - mobiel calls are becoming redundant

* I wouldn't carry it with me everywhere and I am not one for sitting in cafes to use their internet.

>> i carry it everywhere. I like coffee

* I can't get wireless at home, so the internet on the iPad would be useless, but I use my laptop anyway.

>> set up a wireless hotspot using a router conneced to your internet or even use your phone to setup a personal hotspot.

* I wouldn't be able to PP any photos on the iPad.

>> WRONG - look at apps like Nik's snapseed, filterstorm, even adobe photoshop on the iPad - can edit raw and jpeg, and post directly to website of flickr or facebook etc

* I have two kids and they would fight over the iPad for the games. They can use their DS's.

>> this is true, that's why at hoem we have TWO ipads - they use both

So, the only reason for having one is to not be bored on the flights and to store photos. No, for me an iPad really isn't something that I would use but I am sure it would have many merits for others.
    >> wrong
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

The Commander
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I answered yes to would I buy one but I really mean to say. If I had the spare cash to toss around after all my other gear and software it would make a very nice accessary and a great traveling companion on the two hrs a day I spend on train travel. But it would like one of those things like - what do you buy a phtographer that has everything. If it was in a professional capcity as say a pro photog, the ipad would make a great demo tool for dealing with clients and helping them select the theme of photo shoot they may want.
    Please be honest with your Critique of my images. I may not always agree, but I will not be offended - CC assists my learning and is always appreciate

https://mikeathome.smugmug.com/

Canon 5D3 - Gripped, EF 70-200 L IS 2.8 MkII, , 24-105 L 4 IS MkI, 580 EX II Speedlite, 2x 430 Ex II Speedlite

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Ms Monny
    I was about to buy an iPad a couple of weeks ago (and my hubby can claim in on tax). I have an iPhone and a laptop but I was thinking of using it to store photos while away on my o/s holiday. Then I got to thinking about its other uses...

* I use my iPhone apps, so why would I use the iPad as well. My iPhone is alot more portable and it can make calls!

>> ipad2 can use face skype - mobiel calls are becoming redundant

* I use skype on my laptop anyway but I understand that this can be done.

* I wouldn't carry it with me everywhere and I am not one for sitting in cafes to use their internet.

>> i carry it everywhere. I like coffee

* I am a female and carry enough stuff with me without having another thing in my handbag. I only drink t/away coffee while driving all over the countryside!

* I can't get wireless at home, so the internet on the iPad would be useless, but I use my laptop anyway.

>> set up a wireless hotspot using a router conneced to your internet or even use your phone to setup a personal hotspot.

* ??? Don't know how to do this. We have a router (we are also on Satellite) but I would use my laptop anyway.

* I wouldn't be able to PP any photos on the iPad.

>> WRONG - look at apps like Nik's snapseed, filterstorm, even adobe photoshop on the iPad - can edit raw and jpeg, and post directly to website of flickr or facebook etc

* I didn't actually know about these apps - so, yes, I COULD PP images.

* I have two kids and they would fight over the iPad for the games. They can use their DS's.

>> this is true, that's why at hoem we have TWO ipads - they use both

* hahaha, thats what a friend said to me BUT you haven't met my hubby who dislikes anything techno. We only got another TV last year (= 2 now), he jumped up and down when I bought a $50 playstation cos we have a Wii and I don't think 2 iPads would actually go down too well with him.

So, the only reason for having one is to not be bored on the flights and to store photos. No, for me an iPad really isn't something that I would use but I am sure it would have many merits for others.

You would make a good salesman for iPads!! Might just go out and buy one now.....
    Monika
    Equipment: Canon 60D, Nikon FE, Nikkor 50mm 1.8 lens, Fancier FT-662A tripod, 18-55mm kit lens, 55-250mm kit lens, 30mm 1.4 Sigma lens, LR4, PS Elements
    Check out my Flickr photos ... http://www.flickr.com/photos/missmonny/
    ... and then you can like me on www.facebook.com/PhotoByMB or see my shop on http://www.redbubble.com/people/msmonny

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how do you connect your laptop to the internet ?

Amor fati!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you like the concept of a tablet pc I personally would buy an android tablet over an Ipad any day. apple still cant put a damn USB port on the thing and rumours state they wont. silly really.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    David, I hated the IDEA that there was no USB Port - but, I must say, it doesnt really bother me now. I use sugarsync to sync all my files from iphone, ipad and two different desktops and it's no problem practically, and i can load photos using the camera dongle thingy.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been tossing around one of the new 10" Android units, but they won't do what I want to be able to do.

I cannot use either the iPad or the Android units to copy files from my memory card to an external hard drive, which I do when I travel. If I could do that I would have one in a shot.

Editing is not a big deal for me, not greatly interested in trying to properly edit images on a 10" screen anyway.

For that reason I am, at this stage, sticking with my netbook, a little bulkier to cart around, but a whole lot more compact than a proper laptop.
    Smoke Alarms Save Lives, Install One Today
    I shoot Canon
    Cheers, Mark

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing I will say in favour of the Apple product is updates, if you have an iPhone/iPad, if there isan update released to the operating system you get the update, older ahrdware or not.

Android on the other hand, being open source and offered on may different brands of hardware is then reliant on the manufacturer to make the updates available, which it seems they don't always want to.
    The different hardware manufacturers don't want to allow access to the new operating system on older hardware because they want you to fork out for new hardware as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    David, I hated the IDEA that there was no USB Port - but, I must say, it doesnt really bother me now. I use sugarsync to sync all my files from iphone, ipad and two different desktops and it's no problem practically, and i can load photos using the camera dongle thingy.
    Currently I run MobileMe to sync all my devices, iPhone, iPad and Macbook and it works quite well. $99.00 a year is a bit pricey but the business pays so it is worth it. With ios5 Apple is releasing icloud which does all that MobileMe does and more, free. ios5 and the new operating system for the Macs looks like another big leap forward. $29 for the Mac operating system and free for ios5- brilliant!
    Last edited by Boofhead; 30-06-2011 at 1:19pm.
    Andrew

Mostly Canon gear

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how do you connect your laptop to the internet ?
    Wireless connection.
    Rachel
    Canon 50D/ 5DMK2; 24-70 f2.8L; 18-200 IS (kit); 50 f1.8 II; Sigma 10-20; 430 EXII; Lowepro bags; plus other accessories
    LR3, CS5 & PSE6

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well then you can also use an iPad on that same home wireless network

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have one and use it for browsing the internet using our wireless connection,
    checking email
    an e-reader
    showing images to clients, it is an intuitive to use and good looking format for people to use even if they aren't familiar with it...I had a 2 1/2 year flicking through images within a minute the other day.
    some great apps,

A few gripes include it not using flash player, can't do shift enter( only a prob on FB, ), the cost of the attachment add on thingies (good apple marketing), screen gets messy quickly

....but I still use it a lot, and hubby has even started nicking it when we are watching tv in the lounge room. V2 is a better option too, but not worth the upgrade for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well then you can also use an iPad on that same home wireless network
    That just goes to show how much I know about all this technology!

Our neighbour set up our laptop for us (in exchange for a couple of beers - took him bloody ages!!) and now we have a new printer, I can't set up the laptop to the printer!!

Still, even if I could use the internet at home, still don't know if it would replace my laptop just for that reason.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I simply love my Ipad its so versatile can't see me without one.

Barring the great apps, books and magazines that I read on it.
    The Ipad is very useful for someone to look at your latest fotos
    at their preferred rate

And if you have not played "Angry Birds" yet you are loosing out

Regards
    Last edited by Pine; 01-07-2011 at 12:59pm. Reason: grammar
    Bodies : Canon 450D, Canon 7D
    Lenses : Canon 15-85 f3.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon 100mm F2.8 Makro USM, Canon 24-70 L F2.8 USM, Canon 70-200 L F4, Canon 100-400 L F4.5-5.6L IS USM
    Editing : Photoshop CS5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Horses for courses, Everytime I display my images to friends and potential clients on the Ipad, i get a big WOW, they all seem to love the ability to flick back and forwards and pass the device around easily. Slideshows with music are nice and I think most will agree that the screen display is awesome. Then of course there is the fun value of the device, gamess, movies, tv, endless apps, both free and pay. The ability to connect quickly to the internet has made it the go to device for info, in house full of Macs and laptops, yes a USB port or three would be great but there are ways around it. IMO its not the greatest device on earth, however it does what it does well, and really its not that dear. I love it and will buy the Ipad 2 soon, (this is not a paid presentation for the Apple corporation, however I am more than happy to recieve donations to the retirement fund if they wish).
    Andrew
    D700, D5000, Various Nikon and Sigma Lenses and lots of other expensive thingys with buttons and knobs (some even go Bing !!)
    www.andrewplacephotography.com.au

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have children, there is no way you could not buy one.

This is not meant to compete with iPhone, or PC or laptop....if you're buying it with the expectation that it will, you'll be disappointed.

iPad is a new category of product...and to me, it represents the beginning of the next phase in personal computing, which brings me back to why I simply had to buy it for my kids.

Some people feel they won't use it enough, but I suggest that you don't focus on how much you might use the hardware...all it does is provide a platform for the apps....and trust me, you'll find apps that you will use heaps.

I have it hanging on the wall above the coffee machine. As I make our coffee, I read the news, login to AP and check to see if I've won any competitions (did I mention that I have???) ;-) ...check the weather reports, emails....easy peasy. Then at night after the kids have been bolted down to their beds, I watch some TV and have the iPad handy to Google any obscure references I hear on the Simpsons or Two and a Half Men, then I log onto Skype and make a video call to a friend and share those inisghts.

So I challenge you now...try NOT to buy one.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ericimbs View Post

iPad is a new category of product...and to me, it represents the beginning of the next phase in personal computing, which brings me back to why I simply had to buy it for my kids.

See this is where we get disagreement.
    the problem tablets are many fold, and the major one, is that it can't replace the desktop.
    If you want real computing, you still need a desktop(or laptop for less power hungry people).

All this flick browsing is available and has been available for PC for some time, but people didn't want to know about it because it didn't look 'cool'.
    I read a review on the S1080 this morning, and one comment from another reder of the review was that the S1080 waas 'too thick'.
    Of course the author of that comment had no idea on what they were talking about as the feeling in your hand is not different enough for compared to an iPad 2 to makee any real sense. But the S1080 is not as sleek to look at compared to the Gigabyte.
    This is where the Apple products come into their own. They place form over function to the ultimate detriment of the user.

I'm currently typing up my reply(via the roll up keyboard) on the tablet now that the kids have finished playing wth it.
    It's partly a desktop, partly a laptop, and in reality it's a tablet PC.

it has enough hardwired connectivity to replace any one of the three devicees it pretends to be and a features long enough to fulfil 90% of most people's needs.

My major gripe with the likes of iPad type tablets(and I think this inncludes Android powered devices too, is that they ony provide cheap thrills,annd we all know that cheap thrills have a short life cycle.
    The other day, my son was brieflly playing with his mate on his mats iPad, and they were playing a game of this icehockey game that you flick a puck across thee screen.
    This lasted only a few minutes and he got bored of it.

now he has access to a small portable PC in the form of this tablet, he could easily spend 24 hours in a singlee stint playing transport tycoon(OpennTTD) which of course I am fully to blame for getting him addicteed too!

I want a desktop. HE wants another gaming machinne .... and SHE wants another scribbly pad to write and draw with ...
    The technology is nowhere near mature yet, but I believe that this is the future of computing!
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im afraid if I bought one, my kids would find out and it wouldnt be mine anymore, just like my iphone

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BULLSEYE.

Quote Originally Posted by winterstorm View Post
    Im afraid if I bought one, my kids would find out and it wouldnt be mine anymore, just like my iphone

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast