User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  8

View Poll Results: To buy or not to buy...

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • No I wouldn't buy an iPad?

14 51.85%
  • If you own one, do you find it a useful tool?

8 29.63%
  • Would you buy one?

6 22.22%
  • How do you rate it?

4 14.81%
  • What do you use your iPad for?

4 14.81%
  • Is it worth it?

3 11.11%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: To buy or not to buy an iPad (poll and comments please) :-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question To buy or not to buy an iPad (poll and comments please) :-)

Would love others views and comments on the iPad please.
    Rachel
    Canon 50D/ 5DMK2; 24-70 f2.8L; 18-200 IS (kit); 50 f1.8 II; Sigma 10-20; 430 EXII; Lowepro bags; plus other accessories
    LR3, CS5 & PSE6

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The question is "Why do you want it?"

I'd love an iPad, but I'd have a hell of a job trying to find a use for it.

I have a MacBook Pro and an iPhone.

The iPad cannot make phone calls, and it cannot run Photoshop or many other apps I have on my Mac.

I drive to work, so its value as a commuter entertainment device is non-existent.

It has a coolness factor about it (for me), but no practical use.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm with John here. My wife loves hers, but she doesn't have a smartphone and doesn't like sitting at the computer. I have a MacPro and an iPhone and haven't been able to find where an iPad would fit into my needs. That said, when I was recently home sick, I used the iPad to watch the ABC iView catch up service in bed. As an eReader, I'm unlikely to ever purchase one, as I have a preference for the physical book/newspaper (batteries never go flat, no matter how long I read for).
    It has been handy having an 'instant on' web browser in the house where we spend most of our time, where the computer isn't, but again, if need be I have the iPhone.
    Check out the app store, if you can build enough of a list of ones you think would be useful, go for it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought an iPad but that's for my son - he was keep trashing my iPhone so I thought I will get him a replacement instead.

Personally I find iPad is very useless item. IMO it just stop short as a fancy entertainment gadget, maybe to show off to your friends? If my son didn't want one, I know I am probably never going to get one.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenedis View Post
    The question is "Why do you want it?"

I'd love an iPad, but I'd have a hell of a job trying to find a use for it.

I have a MacBook Pro and an iPhone.

The iPad cannot make phone calls, and it cannot run Photoshop or many other apps I have on my Mac.

I drive to work, so its value as a commuter entertainment device is non-existent.

It has a coolness factor about it (for me), but no practical use.
    I have been thinking about getting one, but am doubting I would use it enough to justify the expense when, I have a smart phone already. I keeping thinking it is more of a toy then tool and wanted others views.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by charton View Post
    I have been thinking about getting one, but am doubting I would use it enough to justify the expense when, I have a smart phone already. I keeping thinking it is more of a toy then tool and wanted others views.
    In a domestic situation, where you had a regular desktop computer (which may not always be on) and wanted to do Web, email and a few other useful things for which you'd normally use a computer, an iPad can be useful, as it's small, portable and useful enough. If you run WiFi at home, you'll be online. Handy for use in the library (aka bathroom) or bedroom, when you want to be comfortable and have convenient access to 'stuff'.

If the iPad is the sort of thing you'd take with you when you go out, unless you have WiFi access somewhere, you'll also be up for the cost of a 3G connection (assuming you have the 3G model and want/need Internet access in the street, train, bus, etc.). Bear in mind that you still need to carry your phone. If the iPad could make calls and utilise a bluetooth headset, it would be much more useful and would render the phone obsolete unless size was a factor.

I've been running a laptop as a desktop replacement for over five years, and run WiFi at home, so the portability and convenience of an iPad isn't something I don't already have, albeit with a bigger footprint, but full PC capability. For that reason the iPad, for me, is a really great solution to a problem I don't have.

If I were to buy one, it would be more of a toy than a tool, and it's an expensive toy when I've already got that functionality (and then some) with existing portable devices that actually serve a particular role well (ie, being a phone or a computer), which the iPad cannot.

I simply use my iPhone when I'm away from home. I'm never away from my laptop for long enough that I'd need something more adequate than an iPhone for doing email, Web, AP stuff and other useful things.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you need to ask, then youre not ready to get one
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use mine for ordering via the web for work when I am walking the store, its a great browser, and I have recently found that the other half who hates computers (mainly cause they don't vacuum or cook) really sees no use for them-But she has taken to the ipad and being computer intolerant it just does what it is asked, doesn't need restarting or updating, doesn't crash, instant on and off and she has no problem finding her way around the apps, using the touch screen as opposed to a mouse she can never find, unfortunately we have to use Pc's at work and because the Ipad is so easy to use she is showing severe intolerance for operating systems that are designed to annoy.
    So, apart from that and all the other stuff I do on mine- I think they are great and would recommend one in a flash.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do a bit of travelling with work & personal trips and look at these from time to time in the hope of convincing myself they'd be a good thing.. but can't.
    Some good points, but my regualr laptop or the little eepc we have laying home around as a spare for myself & kids is of far more use.
    Mainly the lack of USB ports stalls me.
    Last edited by Art Vandelay; 29-06-2011 at 6:37pm.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do not see the need for an i pad I have a desktop computer at home, a phone with internet capability and camera (both of which I dont need or use) I only want a phone but am forced to buy all these extras that someone else says I need. I see a laptop as a much more useful item.
    Keith.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a lousy replacement for a real computer, and not much of a telephone. One of the world's most pointless consumer products.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My husband got one for work and it is lovely, shame he got an ugly case for it, but they a great fun to play with, I'm going to wait for the next one when its got a usb port so i can dump all my pics on to it!

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the replys so far. I have a laptop and of course my smart phone plus access to PC at work. I was just interested in others views of the iPad

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't voted because there is no option that suits me. I bought an acer iconia tab. It has a usb port unlike the ipad and i can view photos off my camera by just plugging in a usb card reader. much better that viewing on the camera screen. I bought mine because we love to go away camping and it is better than lugging my laptop around. I can play games on it(chess badly) , read books with a kindle app , and if were are somewhere where i can get an internet connection i can send emails etc much better than lugging around my laptop.

jj

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Louise,

The camera connection kit is great for transfering photos. It provides the usb port for photo transfer. I still download my photos to my main computer as i am comfortable with windows. But for a bit of a preview gallery while you are out and about it is great.
    I think it was 30 or 40 bucks.

I really dont understand the file system behind the ipad. Its all a bit black magic to me.
    The photos are there and they look good, but i have no idea how to see the file properties or exif data. Could be my rookie status that is stopping me from seeing this stuff.

Typed from my ipad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    we use our ipad for an ebook reader and to watch movies on and view photos and to check emails and for the kids to steel and play games on.

But mainly my wife and kids use it to run up the bill on my credit card bying apps that the use only once.

I still love it
    Canon 6d, 7d , 40d, 100-400L, 24-105Lmm, 50mm 1.8, 28-135 and a sigma 18-200
    Aquatech underwater housing
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/neilpoulton/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My iPad is almost my constant companion these days. I do a lot of work from in my car and the larger screen and keyboard are a huge bonus over my iPhone. Instant on and off, quick and can do so much. I download my photos onto my Macbook Pro and they get synchronised to my Ipad whenever I plug it into the Macbook. I have the camera connection kit for when I am out and about if I need it and it works great. I do not miss not having a usb port at all. I like to watch youtube and podcasts about camera reviews and tips. Great to do on the iPad or on the big screen through Apple TV. When we go on holidays I can have movies already downloaded onto the iPad, take the Apple TV and we can watch the movies on any HD tv.

I can not imagine life without an iPad now.

This has NOT been an add for Apple! (but I highly rate their products now I have started using them).
    Andrew

Mostly Canon gear

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tannin View Post
    It's a lousy replacement for a real computer, and not much of a telephone. One of the world's most pointless consumer products.

my thought exactly, the product is supposed to do for you what you want it too, not the other way around!

That is, you end up finding things to do on the product you end up purchasing.

In the end I waited for a Windows tablet device, and I got a Gigabyte s1080(in Pro version.. with Win7 pro, not home).
    OK device, not exactly speedy, but does exactly what I envisioned it would allow me to do.

It's a small lightweight portable computer, which does everything that my desktop PC can do
    (except native CD/DVD/BlueRay burning, but I only need an external burner to do this)

I has USB ports! .. YAY!!!... amazing how those little holes in the side of a device make it so much more useful, than those inept iPads!
    In fact it has 1 USB3 port and one USB2 port, USB 3 port does feel as tho it will be faster, but there aren't too many devices to fully test this yet.
    320G hard drive, 'easily' replaceable(and I may end up installing a fast flash drive one day, when their value for money factor increases.

I'm not 100% used to the tablet form factor, in that there is no physical keyboard to play with.
    I still have trouble with any tablet touchscreen device, but this s1080 device helps a lot in that respect, in that it has a couple of buttons and a small touch button, that act as a mouse, and I tend to use it this way more than using the touchscreen.

I found that having 400,000 'apps' that all basically do the same thing was a selling point that was totally lost on me. I want an 'app' that does what I want or need it to do, such as edit my photos in the same way I'm used to doing on my PC, using the same software I'm used to on the PC(ie. for me that's Nikon's ViewNX or CaptureNX) and not some photo viewing 'app'.
    One of my main uses for this tablet device(which is really for the kids anyhow), but my use is for servicing/maintaining my car. I have the software to adjust the fuel injection on my car(in real time), and simply needed a product that could effectively use this software. There are very few Windows based tablet devices available on the market at the moment.

I've been taking it with me to work almost every day, hoping for a break where I'd have a chance to use it at least for a few minutes, but we've been flat out since I've had it.

I used it whilst driving the truck one day, as a GPS/mapping device, where it only lasted 3 hours on the battery. So I'll be looking to get the battery extender module for it(if I ever get a chance to use it that is! )... but this brings me to the important point of the exercise again.. what good is access to hundreds of thousands of apps, that don't do for you what you really want them to do?
    That is, and just like Xenedis pointed out, if you can't install PS/CS, or ViewNX, OziExplorer, or AutoTech2000, or whatever other software you use on your personal computer, you're simply looking for a new device to whittle away your time.

For that you really only need a stick and a knife, and they cost a lot less than a tablet device!

Oh, and FWIW, I searched for automotive apps on the iPad webpage and the closest thing to an automotive application they had listed was 'BMW TV' .. which I doubt will help me keep my car in tune.

One thing is for certain too tho. People want speed, not usability, and this s1080 tablet is not going to impress many people. Ipad is faster to load up and browse away, by a long shot.
    This thing is a Windows computer, start up time is Windows start up time length, it loads device drivers and so forth and such like.
    Once it's started and running, browsing the web is as fast as an iPad(connection dependent) is.
    I haven't had the chance to use it as a 'mobile phone' yet(it has a sim card slot), and this is unimportant to me, as in, it's not why I purchased it but I will play with it one day to see if it's as useful as it sounds like it should be.
    It's 3.5G capable, if that means anything to anyone.
    (note: I also have a internet capable mobile phone, and in 3 years of use I doubt I've even used 5Mb's of my 200Mb/month allocated bandwidth! I'm not that much of an internet junkie).

anyhow.. I'm off to work again now.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think in any feature to feature comparison the iPad fails against the tablet. No doubt, if you are a power geek/IT user then an android tablet makes a lot more sense

BUT, the vast majoroty of iPad users like its instant accessibility, all the apps just work, the app store just works, the suyncing just works....even if uyou have to restore, it just works.

I wouldnt hand around a laptop at a wedding reception or football match to let 3 or 80 year olds to flick through photos - I would and have an iPad

It's thatr simple for me really - simplicity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was about to buy an iPad a couple of weeks ago (and my hubby can claim in on tax). I have an iPhone and a laptop but I was thinking of using it to store photos while away on my o/s holiday. Then I got to thinking about its other uses...

* I use my iPhone apps, so why would I use the iPad as well. My iPhone is alot more portable and it can make calls!

* I wouldn't carry it with me everywhere and I am not one for sitting in cafes to use their internet.

* I can't get wireless at home, so the internet on the iPad would be useless, but I use my laptop anyway.

* I wouldn't be able to PP any photos on the iPad.

* I have two kids and they would fight over the iPad for the games. They can use their DS's.

So, the only reason for having one is to not be bored on the flights and to store photos. No, for me an iPad really isn't something that I would use but I am sure it would have many merits for others.
    Monika
    Equipment: Canon 60D, Nikon FE, Nikkor 50mm 1.8 lens, Fancier FT-662A tripod, 18-55mm kit lens, 55-250mm kit lens, 30mm 1.4 Sigma lens, LR4, PS Elements
    Check out my Flickr photos ... http://www.flickr.com/photos/missmonny/
    ... and then you can like me on www.facebook.com/PhotoByMB or see my shop on http://www.redbubble.com/people/msmonny

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast