Thread: NR - D4 and D400 to be announced in August

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swifty View Post
    Booo...!! :P
    I still say D4's around the corner.
    I agree. I don't think Nikon would stop all of their employees from taking leave for the next few weeks just for a few coolpix.
    Australian Nature Photography

Nikon D7000
    Nikkor 12-24, Nikkor 28-70/2.8, Nikkor 50/1.8, Tamron 60/2, Sigma 100-300/4, Sigma 180/3.5 macro, Nikkor 500/4, 1.4x TC, 1.7x TC

(Comments And Critique On My Images Most Welcome)

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With the Sony A77 now out of the closet, the D400 should follow in a couple of days or so.

Hopefully the D400 will have similar specced video ability, and if so, I may even consider this as my next update option if their cheapest Fx camera has lesser video ability.

BTW, A77 is going to be a hard bit of gear to beat for the D400 .. and at the initial listed price(US $1400) you'd be mad to consider a D7000 over an A77! .. never mind a D400!

Otherwise all I'm hoping for is a D700 priced Fx camera with good video ability.

OH! and in terms of cronological order, cast your collective minds back to 2007. Approximately August in 2007, and on about the 23rd of , Nikon announced the D300 and D3, but then proceeded to announce the rest of the Coolpix range a week later(30th).

Considering that they're using a Sony sensor, my bet is that they're honouring some kind of gentleman's agreement with Sony, to allow Sony a few days of the photography spotlight, and then they'll announce the real stuff themselves. And then Canon will enter the fray with some uber model with a specification that will trump Nikon's newly announced beast, and so on and etc, ad infinitum ......
    Last edited by arthurking83; 24-08-2011 at 10:53pm.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    And then Canon will enter the fray with some uber model with a specification that will trump Nikon's newly announced beast, and so on and etc, ad infinitum ......
    And follow it with recalls and firmware updates to fix some fundamental floor, hahaha.
    Adam.

AGSPhotos.com

Using Nikon & PS CS5.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BLWNHR View Post
    And follow it with recalls and firmware updates to fix some fundamental floor, hahaha.
    The problem with Canon is that their "specs" usually exceed the capabilities of their products.
    Nikon is much more conservative.

The new A77 (Sony) really ups the anti in video and stills.
    I can't wait for the D400 announcement.
    It should trump the A77 high ISO a ton.
    I only hope it has 1080 Video at 60fps or I won't get one.
    Next week/month?
    Last edited by RRRoger; 25-08-2011 at 1:15am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mongo knows!

A. P's Culinary Indiscriminant
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is the one time Mongo hopes he is wrong because he wants Nikon to get on with it !

Mongo must say, Arthur’s reasoning (gentleman’s agreement and possible timing) appears to have some real possibility and merit.

Lets see what happens – ooops, sorry, that is what we have been doing for a long time. Mongo guesses, a little more of the same won’t kill us – maybe just P**s us off a little more
    Nikon and Pentax user

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    24mp on a crop sensor? pass...
    Successful People Make Adjustments - Evander Holyfield

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zollo View Post
    24mp on a crop sensor? pass...
    hahahahaha I feel the same

the A900 was no jewel when it came to ISO800 and above either, and thats on full frame

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see no reason to believe that more pixel density is only a negative. Until we see the pictures from the actual camera(and not just the particular sensor, as both Pentax and Nikon had shown with the Sony 16Mp sensor, each manufacturer has their own philosophy when it comes to sensor to output software.
    Only actual sample images will tell the whole story. Of course diffraction limitation may be an issue that is well set and not negotiable.. unless the manufacturers have distorted physical limitations in some manner.

On the whole, I'm the same, and feel the same way when it comes to pixel density and increasing numbers. Not beign tied to one particular genre of photography, having the flexibility to adjust the pixel count as your needs require is far more important than simple numbers!
    That is, I'd rather see fewer pixels, and features such as the ability for pixel combining at the time of capture for those times when it may help capture the image, such as instances where higher ISO, lower light, better dynamic range is required. For those times when pure detail counts(say birding, macro or whatever.. nothing beats sheer numbers!)

I'd be inclined to wait until the images surface before closing my mind to the idea of 24Mp on an APS-C sensor!

I also reckon this coming week will see the D400, with the same 24Mp sensor.
    Whatever else Nikon sees fit to announce concurrently I think will be of lesser significance as there is most likely to be nothing else to compare it too anyhow.
    A D400 has to perform.. absolutely, no ifs or buts about it. The competitor(A77) is already out there, and at the price we expect to see it at of mid to high $2K, it has to be a lot better than the A77.
    Just because it's a Nikon, or a D400.... and that it's better than the D300s, is insignificant.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    I see no reason to believe that more pixel density is only a negative.
    Only actual sample images will tell the whole story. Of course diffraction limitation may be an issue that is well set and not negotiable.
    I'd be inclined to wait until the images surface before closing my mind to the idea of 24Mp on an APS-C sensor!

I also reckon this coming week will see the D400, with the same 24Mp sensor.
    Whatever else Nikon sees fit to announce concurrently I think will be of lesser significance as there is most likely to be nothing else to compare it too anyhow.
    A D400 has to perform.. absolutely, no ifs or buts about it. The competitor(A77) is already out there, and at the price we expect to see it at of mid to high $2K, it has to be a lot better than the A77.
    Just because it's a Nikon, or a D400.... and that it's better than the D300s, is insignificant.
    I wouldnt say insignificant...
    Sony doesnt have the lens selection that Nikon has and wouldnt be able to get there for years, so while they might a one stage or another produce a better camera, they wont have the rest of the gear to do it, including flash system although that me be easier than lenses.
    Like all tech things, these advances will bounce between companies and they will play tit for tat, but either way once people have made a decision to invest in a system it is very expensive to change, and that will be a crucial thing in this economy.
    I dont think it will be too long to wait for the D300s and D700 successors or 5Dmk27
    A Birth Certificate shows that we were born.
    A Death Certificate shows that we died.
    Pictures show that we lived!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/knumbnutz/
    http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/neilmorgan

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tut...hotography.htm

10" print, viewed at 25cm, standard eyesight, 24MP 1.5 crop factor sensor ... the limit of diffraction happens between f/5.6 and f/8 i.e. you are losing sharpness at f/8 .... puke!

That is pure physics

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a feeling no NEW DSLR's will be announced/released until next year -___-

Hopefully I'm wrong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let us wait and see what September brings.
    I only expect a D300 and D3 replacement, but

I am hoping for the D700 upgrade instead.
    The only Sensor that seems ready is the one from the D3s.
    I could be very happy with that.

The other hopeful announcement is the long overdue AF-S 80-400.

Can someone start a poll on what Sensors we would like to see in the next cameras?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well that was a bit of a let-down

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by super duper View Post
    well that was a bit of a let-down
    Probably one day to go in Japan.
    But it is not looking hopeful is it.
    The age of entitlement isn't over, it's just over there where you can't get to it.
    When several possibilities exist, the simplest solution is the best.
    "There are no rules" Bruce Barnbaum, The art of Photography
    Graham

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unsurprisingly NR got it just as wrong as they did every other time!
    (then again, I think we all did!.. I really thought that Nikon march to a specific timeline, but now it's obvious that they don't!.. bastards )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The "new marching order" my be for a new DSLR release September 15th?
    Last year Sony announced the a580 on August 24th, the D7000 announcement followed on Sept 15.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345