Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  17
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Aperture priority

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kym,
    I have pretty much followed this graduated plan for the last 6 months or so. Without a doubt I am more confident and unfazed when I am faced with capturing those important shots that just have to be 'keepers' eg. orangatangs in Sarawak (Northern Borneo). Step 8 for me includes being prepared to take multiple exposures. I also feel that 'computer enhancing', other than cropping, is still a while down the track for me. In fact my challenge is to avoid it as long as possible.

Member formerly known as : Lplates Glenda's Avatar
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The easiest way I've read to remember f stops is: Remember 1 and 1.4. Then double the second last number ie double 1 = 2, now you have 1, 1.4, 2 - double 1.4= 2.8, double 2= 4 etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question

I see people talking about EXIF data in this thread, how do people gather this data once the photo's are taken?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mowgli View Post
    I see people talking about EXIF data in this thread, how do people gather this data once the photo's are taken?
    1. It is included at time of capture
    2. People can remove/delete it during their post processing
    3. If EXIF is available, it can be made visible to others
    4. You need an EXIF add-on, for our browser. Use Google "Firefox EXIF add-on" search, for example
    5. Once installed, right click a photo, and use the menu option to view EXIF

We do not enforce EXIF being required, so members may/may not have EXIF data attached to their photos.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm new to SLR photography, but not overly new to photography as a whole. (I've used P&S cameras for years). For me the thing that is the "newest" and therefore the most exciting in the recent move to SLR and DSLR cameras, is the ability to control DOF, so I use Av much more than most other settings, because that's something I most want to play with, but not because it's something a person learning should use most, but because that aspect interests me the most.

What I do with Av that really helps (and with Tv if the shot calls for it), is wherever the photo I'm taking is a static shot with lots of time to play around, I first go to Av mode and take the same shot OVER AND OVER using every single f/stop (well every stop till the camera complains).
    I then load the photos onto the computer and look at the image with the EXIF data showing next to it so I can see what setting I was on, and look at how the image has changed. This is a fantastic learning tool as I can scroll back and forth through the shots and see the result immediately and start to drum into my head how much to change the Aperture to get a specific result.
    Doing this from a Tripod helps the most, as it means very little else will skew the results and confuse me such as having the camera meter on some other point.
    Canon EOS 60D ..... EFS 18-200mm f/3.5 - 5.6 IS - 430 EXII Speedlite - "eBay special" Remote Control Unit - Manfrotto 190XPROB w 804RC2 head.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mowgli View Post
    Further to what Rick said, try this link http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for..._Other_Plugins
    Download something there and it will help you see Exif for photos on the w.w.w..
    If you were referring to Exif for your own photos, then depending on the software you use it can be found under information or properties or something. Sometimes accessed through file or image. If this is what you wanted, say the software and someone will know.
    "Enjoy what you can do rather than being frustrated at what you can't." bobt
    Canon 80D, 60D, Canon 28-105, Sigma 150-600S.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Thanks for the replies. I am only using piant.net at the moment but scored some software for christmas, don't know what it is yet but i'll drive down to my parents place to pick it up and then read the manual and hopefully i find it.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I would suggest downloading The Gimp, if cost is a factor and you want a good free photo editor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I first studied photography, auto exposure was very new and it only came in one variety - aperture priority. There was no full auto. The tutors recommended that even those who could afford a camera with such a facility should not use it because it got in the way of learning what were then considered the basic skills of photography. Lots of people have learned photography without having any kind of auto exposure or auto focus. Some of the older guys I knew then even looked down on us young folks for relying on the inbuilt light meters in our modern cameras, preferring their Weston Vs, which didn't need a battery. I still like to play with the Weston every now and then, but the days of being able to keep making pictures with a flat battery are of course long gone for most of us.

My point is that today's recommended way to start - full auto mode usually - was frowned upon not too long ago. The "right" way to do it is very much a matter of opinion and this changes over time.

There is a lot to get your head around at first, so some people might be better off in full auto, but getting your hands dirty and going full manual has never been cheaper to make a hash of. I still remember the disappointment of the 1st year students getting whole rolls of film back from the lab with nothing useful on them because they forgot to get the needle in the middle, i.e set the exposure. It was a costly, and sometimes heartbreaking experience that nobody has to worry about now.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12