Thread: Aperture priority

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aperture priority

Is it true learners should use aperature priorty the majority of the time until they are confident??

Way Down Yonder in the Paw Paw Patch jim's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a huge multi-faceted question stated baldly in [counts] 17 words.

Yes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Learners should use auto until they are confident...learn focus and some composition and lighting basics first in my opinion.

Then learn the rest according to genre
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've just muddled though until i started to get the pictures I wanted with some help from a few mags, Isn't lots of trial and error and some luck in the beginning?

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stick to the plan... http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...g_Plan_Details

The learning plan is also very practical in that it asks those participating to post images and get feedback
    (constructive critique a.k.a CC) whereby they can quickly improve their skills.

1. We start with the camera in full auto (with fixed ISO sensitivity of 400, and JPEG mode) while learning to hold the camera and compose shots
    2. We then progress to Aperture Priority (with fixed ISO) while learning Depth of Field (DoF)
    3. We add Shutter Priority to the skills (with fixed ISO) while learning movement control
    4. Once the above are understood we process to changing ISO (100 through 1600) using mainly Aperture Priority while learning about sensitivity and noise
    5. The participant is now ready to use full manual control of the Exposure Triangle (ISO sensitivity, Aperture, Shutter speed)
    6. We advance to control of white balance using raw mode instead of JPEG
    7. Finally we add other aspects such as flash, stabilisation (tripod) and other creative options

The above sequence provides a sound base to further explore the joy of photography.
    All AusPhotography members can feel free to assist with the NTP process by commenting to NTP posts and providing CC to NTP participants.
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kym View Post
    I am going to print this out, looks like a good plan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kym,
    I have pretty much followed this graduated plan for the last 6 months or so. Without a doubt I am more confident and unfazed when I am faced with capturing those important shots that just have to be 'keepers' eg. orangatangs in Sarawak (Northern Borneo). Step 8 for me includes being prepared to take multiple exposures. I also feel that 'computer enhancing', other than cropping, is still a while down the track for me. In fact my challenge is to avoid it as long as possible.

Member formerly known as : Lplates Glenda's Avatar
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The easiest way I've read to remember f stops is: Remember 1 and 1.4. Then double the second last number ie double 1 = 2, now you have 1, 1.4, 2 - double 1.4= 2.8, double 2= 4 etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question

I see people talking about EXIF data in this thread, how do people gather this data once the photo's are taken?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mowgli View Post
    I see people talking about EXIF data in this thread, how do people gather this data once the photo's are taken?
    1. It is included at time of capture
    2. People can remove/delete it during their post processing
    3. If EXIF is available, it can be made visible to others
    4. You need an EXIF add-on, for our browser. Use Google "Firefox EXIF add-on" search, for example
    5. Once installed, right click a photo, and use the menu option to view EXIF

We do not enforce EXIF being required, so members may/may not have EXIF data attached to their photos.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mowgli View Post
    Further to what Rick said, try this link http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for..._Other_Plugins
    Download something there and it will help you see Exif for photos on the w.w.w..
    If you were referring to Exif for your own photos, then depending on the software you use it can be found under information or properties or something. Sometimes accessed through file or image. If this is what you wanted, say the software and someone will know.
    "Enjoy what you can do rather than being frustrated at what you can't." bobt
    Canon 80D, 60D, Canon 28-105, Sigma 150-600S.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Use whatever setting you are comfortable using, including Auto, to get the photo you want. But don't rest on that, learn how the other functions and features work. The best setting is the one that produces a photo that you are happy with.
    Last edited by ricktas; 28-06-2011 at 7:52am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started out on Auto but now move between Aperture Priority & Shutter speed. I am still only learning shutter speed but found using Aperture Priority really assisted me with understanding my camera more than relying on Auto. It helped me understand how to blur portraits & also what the best aperture on my camera was for landscapes, through trial & error.
    Katt

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pudda View Post
    Is it true learners should use aperature priorty the majority of the time until they are confident??
    Nope. Learners should use aperture priority the majority of the time until they are experts and can use aperture priority the majority of the time.
    Tony

It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wish I could put something useful in this thread, I started that long ago I cant remember Kodak Box Brownie, probably got me learning composition, There was no settings , So long as you had the right daylight film, The Pentax Spotmatic was one of the first to have a built in light meter (Hence Spotmatic) , From memory I just set the aperture and ASA for whatever film, We used Kodak Tri-X 1600 asa for the surfing shots and got the Light meter to sit in the middle of the scale , Wish I had some Exif data for all my early Surfing shots to see the settings on Film, Digital seemed to come naturally , Sorry for this useless post , But IMO start out with an Auto setting that suits your needs AV or TV and keep on playing - Cheers Bill
    Last edited by William; 01-07-2011 at 7:01pm.
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me it depends on what I am shooting. If i am working on bettering my protraits or my son playing sports I play with Av to blur or focus my backgrounds. If it is say a waterfall then i want to play with my shutter speed and use Tv. It all depends on what you are practicing in the moment, or what result you want to obtain from that photograph or photo session.
    Canon 600D + Tamron 90mm Macro DI f2.8 + 50mm 1.8 II + 75-300mm + 18-55mm IS II + 430 EX II
    My Life In Frames

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know if Auto is the same as Program(med?) mode, but that's what I suggest you start with... let the camera make the decisions to start with, while you concentrate on what's in the picture... Once you start to gain a bit of confidence (and feel adventurous), you can start to adjust either aperture or shutter speed while the camera compensates with the other to maintain the exposure. That gives you the option to start experimenting and see how varying the balance affects the outcome. Once you start to get a feel for that, it's time to move on to aperture or shutter priority modes depending on the type of image you are after. Just my 2c worth...

The other good feature I've seen (though I don't know if it is specific to just certain Nikons) is 'Guided' mode. The camera asks you questions about the kind of picture you want,and then advises on the appropriate settings to choose. Once you start to gain experience, you'll find that you are asking yourself exactly those same questions when making decisions about your settings.

Grum

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found using AP in the beginning was fine for learning how aperture and shutter speed relate to each other. After you master this concept its an easy move onto manual mode.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi I am just learning myself I use auto and aperture priority when you get a good photo try using the exif data and then try manual using the same settings on that there is so much to learn and then putting it together to take great photos practice practice practice even if there is nothing much to take photos of anything will do that you can find to shoot will mean practice that is what I do I shoot anything and everything post for CC and that is the best way of learning I found some people will say that is just in auto but they forget when they were learning they would have used auto as well at one time or another
    All experts were once beginners

Nikon D3100 18 55 kit lens Nikon 35 mm Nikon 70 300mm optex tripod

MWAH! Sandy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always recommend Av as the go-to mode for new shooters who are actually interested learning. It forces you to (easily) learn about DoF (although also depends on the camera, not much point telling someone with a P&S who can go between f/3.5-6.3 about DoF because it doesn't exist), and at the same time you quickly pick up the relationship between aperture size & shutter speed. Plus for most intents and purposes, with how sophisticated the meters are on SLR's, you don't need to stray from Av mode barely at all down the line
    Wedding photographer shooting Canon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast