Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Can't decide between......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can't decide between......

Hi,
    cam the klutz struck recently and even though I only dropped my lens a little it broke a lot. It was a Canon 17-85 which I had quite liked but I see it getting a bit of a shellacking in some threads.
    I have a 70-200 2.8 which is great and a 50 1.8 that has yet to grow on me and need a wider lens. Budget-wise I've narrowed it down to either a Canon 17-40 L or a Sigma 17-50 f2.8 OS.
    The Sigmas extra stop appeals more than the stabilisation as i take photos inside of my boy and people climbing and outdoors in dim environments when mountain biking.
    The Canons weather sealing and more robust nature appeals in a different way.
    I've decided each way several times and Mr Taxman will be giving me money soon, any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
    Cheers,
    cam

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Either or. Both are great lenses and really it just comes down to your personal choice as to which one you pick. Not really something we can do for you, sorry. If there was a huge discrepancy and variance between the lenses, yes, but with the two you are looking at, its up to you.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rick. Just thought I'd throw it out there and see if anyone had a suggestion either way as I keep flip-flopping.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah Cam, I tend to agree with Rick on this one. You wouldn't be disappointed with either cause both are great lenses. Not much at all b/t them.

Russell K

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you intend to go full frame in the next few years go with the 17-40. If you don't then it probably doesn't much matter which way you go.
    Canon 50D - Zuiko 28/2.8 50/1.8 100/2.8 - Tokina 11-16/2.8

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What about the Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 with image stabalisation? I recently bought it and love it! Its really sharp.
    Cheers
    Emma

Avoid shooting with a 12 gauge shotgun. Use a Canon instead.

Canon 5D, Canon 7D, 50mm 1.4, 18-55mm, Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 VC, Sigma 70-200mm f2.8, 580EX Speedlight. Facebook

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks again for your input.
    Terry, full frame is a distant possibility but worth considering.
    Triptych, I had a closer look at the Tamrons after your comment and now the leader is the unstabilised Tamron 17-50 2.8. It has the wider aperture I am after and at only $323 from DWI if I ruin it with dust or moisture when at MTB races I've done a lot less dough than for the Sigma, same if I end up going full frame in the future.

I used to be indecisive but now I'm just not sure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the Tamron 17-50 non-vc (unstabilised) and it's a great lens, nice and sharp. Great value for the price IMO..I also bought mine from DWI.
    Tania

CC always welcome http://www.taniafernandesphotography.com.au/
    Canon 5d iii, Canon 7d, 50 f/1.8 II, 85 f/1.8, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS, 100 f/2.8 USM Macro

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am arranging to borrow a friends tamron 17-50 non-vc for a MTB race and climbing comp in the next month which should help me decide.

I also emailed four pro MTB photographers (of whom 3 got back to me within a day which was a pleasant surprise) and they all leaned to the Canon due to the weather sealing and said that I wouldn't miss the wider aperture too often.