Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: Which compact?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which compact?

Hi all!

I'm just getting back into photography again. I have an Olympus E400 SLR that I have to say I absolutely hate! Unfortunately, it was a gift from my darling husband for our first wedding anniversary so I can't just ditch it.

I am currently looking at replacing our point and shoot. I got my last one when I was 39 weeks pregnant so didn't really do any research! It's just a basic Casio Exilim. Image quality is pretty average but for happy snaps of the kids, it's OK.

We are now living in PNG so there are alot more photo ops. And we are about to go on a cruise in a couple of weeks time.

I had my mind set on a Panasonic Lumix TZ20. But then I was playing with a neighbours Canon G11 and was thinking of maybe the G12.

I am so confused! Any recommendations for a compact camera would be much appreciated!

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban Frank 44's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are good now the Panasonic Lumix TZ20 is the one I would pick some of the compact are as good as some DSLR. it is not the camera that dose all the word it is mainly the person using it.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And just to show how rarely I use my DSLR...I actually have an Olympus E-410!

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love my Lumix, I have the FZ35. One big advantage is it shoot RAW so you can do a lot of PP editing if you so desire. One disadvantage, but easily coped with in PP, is that the sensor has an orange bias (compared against Canon (slight) and Hasselblad (more) sensors.
    Odille

“Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky”

My Blog | Canon 1DsMkII | 60D | Tokina 20-35mm f/2.8 AF AT-X PRO | EF50mm f/1.8| Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM | Fujifilm X-T1 & X-M1 | Fujinon XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XC 50-230mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XF 18-55mm F2.8-4R LM OIS | tripods, flashes, filters etc ||

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shelly, answer a few questions please.

What is it about your Olympus that you hate?
    What do you mainly want to photograph.
    Why do you think that a compact camera will do the job?
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I @ M View Post
    Shelly, answer a few questions please.

What is it about your Olympus that you hate?
    What do you mainly want to photograph.
    Why do you think that a compact camera will do the job?
    Hi Andrew

I don't like that I can't get a decent photo with the automatic function except on sunny, outdoor days. So that discounts it from being my "everyday" camera. My 4 1/2 and 3 year old girls move waaaaay to quick for me to spend time on manual settings for "happy snaps"! On manual setting I find the light meter isn't necessarily a good indicator.

My main photography is of the kids, as you would expect. But I am also amazed at the landscape up here in PNG and cultural events mean lots of fascinating, brightly painted people.

I don't think a compact camera will do everything. My old one has died so I want to replace it. I need something to throw in my bag for every day use...school events, play dates, ballet concerts etc. Also, you see the most amazing sights driving along in PNG that you just want to snap (utes with 12 men in the back, trucks loaded with bags of spuds with people sleeping on top, men in full traditional dress being transported on the back of a ute). I see these things just going about my day, like on the way to get the groceries. Unfortunately, having what appears to be a a large, expensive camera makes you a target for raskols (criminals).

I'm also looking at adding a digital video camera to my arsenal if anyone has opinions on those!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shelley if it's any help, Ive used a Canon G11 and it was an amazing camera that gave beautiful results, I'm guessing the G12 will be slightly improved but the G11 was fantastic and in manual mode proved peerfect every time.

Russell K

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With you now, hang on to the 410 and learn how to get the best out of it in the right conditions.

A compact does make good sense in your situation for daily shots so have a look around at the reviews and opinions of people that own various models. The current Canon and Panasonic models seem to offer pretty good value in terms of size and picture quality combined with being built well.
    As for the video, the higher end of compact cameras seem to offer pretty good quality video as well.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the replies. I'll do some more research before I head off on holiday on Sunday...another good thing about living in PNG is that every time you go anywhere, it's duty free time!

The three big differences are: Panasonic is a little over half the weight of the Canon. Panasonic has 14.1MP and the Canon has 10MP. And the Panasonic has a 16x optical zoom vs 5x in the Canon. The Canon gets better reviews though!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been using a TZ10 for quite a while & love it. Only drawback is the one that plagues all P&S of this type ... reflections on the LCD, but I can live with that.
    Never used the Canon so I can't comment.
    John.

Canon EOS 50D
    Panasonic Lumix TZ10

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks John. i think I've ruled out the Canon now because of the extra weight and size. So it's down to the TZ20 or Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX9V. Identical, really, apart from Sony have a better display. Bring on Sunday when I can shop!!!

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My recommendations:
    Olympus XZ-1
    Canon S95
    Samsung EX-1
    Panasonic LX5
    I'd currently lean towards the Oly
    Nikon FX + m43
    davophoto.wordpress.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lots of people recommend the canon s95, we have the older generation s90 and we're very happy with it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 for the S95. I love my S90. Same sensor as the G12, without the bulk. A good complement to another, bigger camera. The full auto mode on the S90 amazed me for its good choices most of the time.

I still have a G9, and i get use out of it, but I think for their size the G series are being outdone by EVILs and the like.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK...this is going to take some "hands on" playing.

As you may, or may not, know, I am currently living in Papua New Guinea. I'm heading back to Australia before we go on our cruise on the 12th July. I'll be in Forster for a few days before heading to Sydney for a few days.

I was planning on picking up a camera at the arrivals duty free at Brisbane. BUT...they never have working models on the floor. And after a 4AM start with a 4 1/2 and 3 year old in tow, with no husband, I'm thinking that this isn't the best timing. So, I think I'll have to go to a camera store when I get there.

Forster has a Fletchers I think and Taree has a Camera House. Hopefully I'll be able to get "hands on" there. Otherwise there's always the Sydney CBD. Any recommendations?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have bought a couple of things from Dirt Cheap Cameras, York St. Can't beat their prices (well, the stuff I've looked at anyway) and they have quite a lot on display.