User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  18
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Art to be classified like films? What affect on photography??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhoDo View Post
    Glad you got a kick out of it, Scotty! I just thought there was a great deal of incongruity in arguing FOR restrictions on one front (a tax) and AGAINST them on another (censoring art) even though both proclaim they are for the "common good".
    So, if I agree in the principle of free speech... are you telling me it is incongruous to believe it wrong to yell 'FIRE' in a crowded theatre? Or, just like the other, are they totally different?

And that distinction is important because ...? At a fundamental level both issues address freedom and the desire to restrict that freedom for the "common good". That's all.
    The distinction should be self-evident to all but bean counters and 'greed is good' types?

There is a great deal of difference between what is "confronting" - causing people to think about the issues addressed - and what is "offensive". The latter is more to do with attention-seeking sensationalism than any altruistic desire to open people's minds for whatever reason, and forces rather than causes attention to be focused on an issue, usually with negative consequences.
    And who decides what is offensive? Many Catholics found two gay men hugging on a billboard 'offensive'. Calling something offensive is usually code for, 'I personally don't like it.'

In my view it is a bit like the "comedian" who feels that foul language is essential to their humour. I find their humour sadly lacking if it relies on foul language for its effect! The same can be said for "art" that seeks to be offensive in order to justify its classification as "art". It simply isn't.
    So don't buy un-funny comedy. But, don't try to restrict others - who gives you the right. Besides, this is moot. Most of this would be in licensed (18+) venues anyway.

No, not from their bodies. Those are indeed truly beautiful in all of their shapes and sizes. Children do need protecting but in my view the protection is from any adult, parent or otherwise, making decisions the child may later regret them making on their behalf. Adults in general, and parents in particular, have a responsibility to safeguard the future of their children against regrettable decisions. Ask any of the indigenous Australians of the stolen generation whether they feel any better that the adults who took them from their families believed they were doing so for their own good!
    So, the parent who sends their kid to a school where they get bullied, raises them a religion they come to regret, encourage their kids to play a sport where they get injured. Do they need protecting from their parents? Should we hand over all parental duties to the government?

Decisions affecting us are very, very dangerous when made by us and for ourselves. They are potentially explosive when made by us for someone else, regardless of the underlying intention. After all, isn't that the point of the discussion on censorship too; people making decisions for other less mature people but with the best of intentions? For the record I think decisions that restrict, like censorship, are far less dangerous than those that abrogate choice by "opening up minds" that aren't yet equipped by experience to receive the input.
    We ask 15 year olds to make life changing decisions - choose their senior subjects that will begin to determine their careers. MY GOD! They are not equipped for this most important decision. We should let the govt decide each student's subjects from now on, in case they make the wrong decision.

No I don't think Romeo & Juliet is "inappropriate" but I do think your imputed reason for that is off the mark. Shakespeare's work may well address those issues in the context of today's society and its pressures, but I seriously doubt those issues were central to its themes when it was written!
    Duh! of course they were. Read up on the context of that play. Elizabethan England etc. Do you thin that Shakespeare's enduring (for centuries) themes were just a random fluke? wow!

It was a different age, and the distinction of their age was not so much an issue then. In those times 20 may well have been considered middle aged! People often died before they were 40. In THAT context the fact these lovers were also teenagers was probably less relevant than their emotional awakening.
    Of course Shakespeare was commenting on the society he lived in; their attitudes to marriage, treatment of women etc. Otherwise, you seem to believe he was just writing a random.

There is no need to sensationalise Romeo & Juliet in order to make it attractive to today's youth. What young people today still cannot relate to young lovers (in the purest sense) being torn apart by family and failing to recognise better alternatives for their future in the face of that? Why not focus on the issues that divided the two families? Why not focus on the alternatives that may have meant they were both able to avoid the tragedy of an early death by suicide and lost love? I guess sex still sells, eh, even in the classics?
    Have you read the play? Have you read all the constant sexual imagery that starts on page one and continues to the very end? Your comment is rather like asking to teach about Hitler without mentioning the war... Crazy!
    Canon 7D : Canon EF 70-200mm f:2.8 L IS II USM - Canon EF 24-105 f:4 L IS USM - Canon EF 50mm f:1.8 - Canon EF-s 18-55mm f:3.5-5.6
    Sigma APO 150-500mm f:5-6.3 DG OS HSM
    - Sigma 10-20mm f:3.5 EX DC HSM
    Speedlite 580 EX II - Nissin Di866 II - Yongnuo 460-II x2 - Kenko extension tube set - Canon Extender EF 1.4x II
    Manfroto monopod - SILK 700DX Pro tripod - Remote release - Cokin Z-Pro filter box + Various filters

Current Social Experiment: CAPRIL - Wearing a cape for the month of April to support Beyond Blue
    Visit me on Flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MARK L View Post
    From Kyms thread starter;"THE visual arts industry is appalled by a proposal to apply a classification scheme to artworks exhibited in galleries across the nation." (orange emphasis mine)
    And part of his comment; "I would hate to have to submit my photography for classification if it were entered into a public competition or displayed in a gallery or anart show,........."
    Most post's don't seem to address the topic, I think.
    If the proposal was to classify all artwork everywhere, like posting a photograph on AP, then I'd be up in arms. However things to be displayed publicly, possibly need classification. Having said that, I don't believe banning is a classification. Warning and restricted access is as far as I'd like it to go.
    Classification is step one down the path of banning

artists will be affected by the ratings

AP is viewable by the public - of course it would be included.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty72 View Post
    Classification is step one down the path of banning...
    HUH. Books, TV shows, movies and more have been rated for years, and most are not banned, even XXX movies are allowed (for adult audiences).

The items that are banned are generally done so cause they are offensive in the extreme. I think to state it is a step down the path of banning is just trying to incite a more emotive response than is really necessary. Nothing like making an inflammatory statement (that has zero proof or evidence to support it) to try and garner support for a particular view, rather than look at the facts and discuss them in an open and up-front way.
    Last edited by ricktas; 28-06-2011 at 10:41pm.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    HUH. Books, TV shows, movies and more have been rated for years, and most are not banned, even XXX movies are allowed (for adult audiences).

The items that are banned are generally done so cause they are offensive in the extreme. I think to state it is a step down the path of banning is just trying to incite a more emotive response than is really necessary. Nothing like making an inflammatory statement (that has zero proof or evidence to support it) to try and garner support for a particular view, rather than look at the facts and discuss them in an open and up-front way.
    No... books are not classified.

Movies, TV shows etc are.

(I support this)

Generally, books are written by individuals or small groups; movies and TV shows by corporations... which is my point and obviously until now the government has had similar views.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, if I agree in the principle of free speech... are you telling me it is incongruous to believe it wrong to yell 'FIRE' in a crowded theatre? Or, just like the other, are they totally different?
    So are you telling me it is congruous to contend that, against my wishes, I must pay to clean up the planet when there is no irrefutable proof I am/we are making it dirty and then in the next breath demanding that there be no restriction on so-called "artists" confronting my grandchildren in public with images that are offensive by current community standards? Seriously???

And who decides what is offensive? Many Catholics found two gay men hugging on a billboard 'offensive'. Calling something offensive is usually code for, 'I personally don't like it.'
    And if the majority "personally don't like it" that's called a societal norm! If you don't like it, either find a society that agrees with you OR find legitimate ways to educate the society in which you live about the distinction. Waving placards and shouting slogans is not convincing in this day and age. Having a megaphone, free time and a few noisy cronies doesn't make one the voice of the "silent majority". I'd suggest you investigate Social Constructivism as a reasonable approach to education in an intelligent, self-determining society.

So don't buy un-funny comedy. But, don't try to restrict others - who gives you the right. Besides, this is moot. Most of this would be in licensed (18+) venues anyway.
    I know you are intelligent enough to have understood the analogy so it would seem disingenuous to fault the analogy rather than address the point IMHO. I wasn't suggesting restricting others from listening to poor comedy. I was defending the view that a society's children need to be weaned onto potentially offensive imagery at an age when they can view it with reason and experience.

So, the parent who sends their kid to a school where they get bullied, raises them a religion they come to regret, encourage their kids to play a sport where they get injured. Do they need protecting from their parents? Should we hand over all parental duties to the government?
    Oh, please. I just got through pointing out that I didn't trust the government on the issue of taxes. Why would I advocate handing over parental rights to them as well? This is an obfuscation pure and simple.

We ask 15 year olds to make life changing decisions - choose their senior subjects that will begin to determine their careers. MY GOD! They are not equipped for this most important decision. We should let the govt decide each student's subjects from now on, in case they make the wrong decision.
    No, we start them on the road to making their own choices. We also provide them with ample opportunity to reconsider those choices along the way AND offer plenty of advice to help them make informed decisions. Another red herring, Scotty.

Duh! of course they were. Read up on the context of that play. Elizabethan England etc. Do you thin that Shakespeare's enduring (for centuries) themes were just a random fluke? wow!

Of course Shakespeare was commenting on the society he lived in; their attitudes to marriage, treatment of women etc. Otherwise, you seem to believe he was just writing a random.

Have you read the play? Have you read all the constant sexual imagery that starts on page one and continues to the very end? Your comment is rather like asking to teach about Hitler without mentioning the war... Crazy!
    So you are saying that you know so much about Shakespeare, and his intent when writing, that there is no possibility your interpretation is wrong? The question I would ask is, if that were the case, why are your peers also evidently in disagreement with your interpretation:
    ...I am sick of the growing pressure (and even profession threats) to not discuss the themes of teen sex and young male violence (the two main themes in the play).
    I think it's sick to assume that because teenage "love" (sexual congress isn't specified in Romeo & Juliet to the best of my admittedly limited knowledge) and "young male violence" (although there is debate over what constituted "young" in Elizabethan England) are a part of the story they are suddenly "the two main themes of the play"!{my emphasis}. There is so much more to Romeo and Juliet than these two controversial issues in my view. Overplaying their centrality is sensationalist, much the same as using inflammatory examples as "evidence" without any proof of a logical connection. Hitler was bad so NOT teaching about him, his policies AND the war he started would be wrong; ergo my argument must also be wrong? You can do better than using logical fallacies in defence of your viewpoint, Scotty.
    Last edited by WhoDo; 28-06-2011 at 11:30pm.
    Waz
    Be who you are and say what you mean, because those who matter don't mind don't matter and those who mind don't matter - Dr. Seuss...
    D700 x 2 | Nikkor AF 50 f/1.8D | Nikkor AF 85 f/1.8D | Optex OPM2930 tripod/monopod | Enthusiasm ...

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Generally, books are written by individuals or small groups; movies and TV shows by corporations... which is my point and obviously until now the government has had similar views.
    Books are published by corporations for profit! Your argument is seriously flawed! And FWIW IMHO there is never anything "obvious" (sic) about a government's views on anything!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So are you telling me it is congruous to contend that, against my wishes, I must pay to clean up the planet when there is no irrefutable proof I am/we are making it dirty and then in the next breath demanding that there be no restriction on so-called "artists" confronting my grandchildren in public with images that are offensive by current community standards? Seriously???
    Why do you insist of comparing apples to ball bearings? The one having nothing to do with the other.

And if the majority "personally don't like it" that's called a societal norm! If you don't like it, either find a society that agrees with you OR find legitimate ways to educate the society in which you live about the distinction. Waving placards and shouting slogans is not convincing in this day and age. Having a megaphone, free time and a few noisy cronies doesn't make one the voice of the "silent majority". I'd suggest you investigate Social Constructivism as a reasonable approach to education in an intelligent, self-determining society.
    Practise what you preach... The norm now is art is not censored... you are supporting the call for censorship... you don't like it... you find another society

Who is waving placards? What are you on about?

I know you are intelligent enough to have understood the analogy so it would seem disingenuous to fault the analogy rather than address the point IMHO. I wasn't suggesting restricting others from listening to poor comedy. I was defending the view that a society's children need to be weaned onto potentially offensive imagery at an age when they can view it with reason and experience.
    Good, then I hope that they will restrict religion - I find proselytising to children about imagery deity in the sky offensive... may we censor censor that? I find the violence portrayed on TV sports offensive... R-rated? Good stuff

Oh, please. I just got through pointing out that I didn't trust the government on the issue of taxes. Why would I advocate handing over parental rights to them as well? This is an obfuscation pure and simple.
    But, you said you were worried about parents making decisions that may be wrong?

No, we start them on the road to making their own choices. We also provide them with ample opportunity to reconsider those choices along the way AND offer plenty of advice to help them make informed decisions. Another red herring, Scotty.
    So, then there will be no need to 'protect' them from their own choices? Because they will be so well advised. So, you just defeated your own argument.

So you are saying that you know so much about Shakespeare, and his intent when writing, that there is no possibility your interpretation is wrong? The question I would ask is, if that were the case, why are your peers also evidently in disagreement with your interpretation:
    Oh, I've only spent 20 years studying and teaching Shakespeare... what would I know?

Some of my peers think that Shakespeare never existed... A bit like the faked moon landings.

I think it's sick to assume that because there is teenage "love" (sexual congress isn't specified in Romeo & Juliet to the best of my admittedly limited knowledge), "young male violence" (although there is debate over what constituted "young" in Elizabethan England) are a part of the story they are suddenly "the two main themes of the play"!{my emphasis}. There is so much more to Romeo and Juliet than these two controversial issues in my view. Overplaying their centrality is sensationalist, much the same as using inflammatory examples as "evidence" without any proof of a logical connection. Hitler was bad so NOT teaching about him, his policies AND the war he started would be wrong; ergo my argument must also be wrong? You can do better than using logical fallacies in defence of your viewpoint, Scotty.
    Oh, well, a theme that starts in Act 1 scene 1 and is developed on almost every page (as sexuality and (to a slightly lessor extent) teen violence are) seems like it might be a central theme. Or, maybe it's just me.

Scotty

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Books are published by corporations for profit! Your argument is seriously flawed! And FWIW IMHO there is never anything "obvious" (sic) about a government's views on anything!
    Sorry to point out the bleedingly obvious...

The publishers are NOT the artists...

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to point out the bleedingly obvious...

The publishers are NOT the artists...
    And movie makers are NOT the screen writers! Sheesh! Talk about blinkered!

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, I've only spent 20 years studying and teaching Shakespeare... what would I know?

Some of my peers think that Shakespeare never existed... A bit like the faked moon landings.
    Which only goes to demonstrate that because you know a lot about a subject doesn't imply you know everything! I refuse to draw that inference; sorry.

Oh, well, a theme that starts in Act 1 scene 1 and is developed on almost every page (as sexuality and (to a slightly lessor extent) teen violence are) seems like it might be a central theme. Or, maybe it's just me.
    When did teenage love and angst become "sexuality" for you, Scotty? The answer might make interesting reading in a journal of modern psychology! Some people can find all sorts of things in words that the author never intended. For example, religious fundamentalists and gnostics. I know you can accept THAT analogy! They are just WORDS and you cannot impute a meaning in them that the author INTENDED without the author or someone who knew the author intimately attesting to the truth of the interpretation. Maybe Shakespeare needs to be read in the original Elizabethan English the way the New Testament of the Bible should be read from the original Greek and Aramaic?
    Last edited by WhoDo; 29-06-2011 at 12:05am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let me say it clear. Romeo and Juliet is a story about Romeo trying to get his rocks off. There is constant sexual imagery (not romantic lovie-dovie imagery).

Or perhaps you think

'Nor will she ope her lap for saint-seducing gold.'

Is a very romantic thing to say?

Perhaps when Gregory says he will, '... Thrust Montague's maids to the wall.' he really means this in a romantic way...

When he goes on to talk about cutting off the women's 'maidenheads', you think that is about love.

When Benvolio asks Romeo, if [a girl] has sworn to live chaste? Romeo replies, 'She hath, and in that sparing makes huge waste.' obviously Romeo is thinking about reading romantic poetry.

Or, after Romeo realizes he can't get into Rosaline's pants, he chases Juliet. How could that be mistaken for a sexual connotation, right? After all, you're the expert.

Or, on their first meeting, Romeo asks Juliet (when she says bye), 'Will thou leave me unsatisfied?' When she replies 'What satisfaction can thou have tonight?' She must be thinking Romeo wants a game of chess, right?

So, WhoDo, you are obviously so well versed in Shakespeare; so expert in his use of language, I will bow to your superior knowledge.

I will now leave you to give your expert opinion to chickens on how to lay eggs.

Scotty

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe Shakespeare needs to be read in the original Elizabethan English the way the New Testament of the Bible should be read from the original Greek and Aramaic?
    I'm starting to think you haven't even read it.

What on earth are you on about. It is always read in Elizabeth English. Unless you are reading the Disney version where the sex is toned down.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bill Shakespeare AKA Frank Bacon was one of my favourite writers but I much prefer the story of Julius Caesar (Big Julie)

http://notsogentlereader.blogspot.co...od-off-my.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fantasyphoto View Post
    Bill Shakespeare AKA Frank Bacon was one of my favourite writers but I much prefer the story of Julius Caesar (Big Julie)

http://notsogentlereader.blogspot.co...od-off-my.html
    ... And Fantasyphoto is an honourable man.

Formerly : Apollo62
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MARK L View Post
    If the proposal was to classify all artwork everywhere, like posting a photograph on AP, then I'd be up in arms. However things to be displayed publicly, possibly need classification. Having said that, I don't believe banning is a classification. Warning and restricted access is as far as I'd like it to go.
    I agree as there will always be someone out there who will find something offensive about any controversial artwork. There is a fine line between a "challenging" piece of art and an offensive one. There are also artworks that deliberately set out to shock and gain some attention. As far as photography goes, I certainly wouldn't mind having any of my pictures labelled or classified or whatever. I just don't see the label " I think this is pretty ok but you might think it's crap" becoming very fashionable somehow.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let me say it clear. Romeo and Juliet is a story about Romeo trying to get his rocks off. There is constant sexual imagery (not romantic lovie-dovie imagery).
    Gee, I wish I'd have known that when I was studying it at school! I might have paid more attention! Or not.

Or perhaps you think

'Nor will she ope her lap for saint-seducing gold.'

Is a very romantic thing to say?

Perhaps when Gregory says he will, '... Thrust Montague's maids to the wall.' he really means this in a romantic way...

When he goes on to talk about cutting off the women's 'maidenheads', you think that is about love.

When Benvolio asks Romeo, if [a girl] has sworn to live chaste? Romeo replies, 'She hath, and in that sparing makes huge waste.' obviously Romeo is thinking about reading romantic poetry.
    If this wasn't so sad it would be funny. These lines are taken out of context and, despite the clear connotations in the way you have displayed them, I'd rather read them IN their original context before making a judgement. Just so I can get it clear in my head, who spoke each of the lines you have quoted? And to whom did they speak them? In what context? We all know that lads are more inclined to be lads around other lads, aren't they?

Or, after Romeo realizes he can't get into Rosaline's pants, he chases Juliet. How could that be mistaken for a sexual connotation, right? After all, you're the expert.
    Ok, that's not a reasonable statement to make. Nowhere have I claimed to be an expert on the subject. All I have said is that apparently even other experts, including some of your peers, have by your own admission disagreed with your interpretation of the MAIN THEMES. Of course there will be references to sexuality in any such relationship, but that doesn't make it one of the MAIN THEMES.

Or, on their first meeting, Romeo asks Juliet (when she says bye), 'Will thou leave me unsatisfied?' When she replies 'What satisfaction can thou have tonight?' She must be thinking Romeo wants a game of chess, right?
    Maybe. Or maybe he just wants a kiss, a kind word, some hope that he will be well received when next he calls, whatever! Why does it have to be that he is asking for a quickie before he goes?

So, WhoDo, you are obviously so well versed in Shakespeare; so expert in his use of language, I will bow to your superior knowledge.

I will now leave you to give your expert opinion to chickens on how to lay eggs.
    Not nice, Scotty.

I'm starting to think you haven't even read it.

What on earth are you on about. It is always read in Elizabeth English. Unless you are reading the Disney version where the sex is toned down.
    Really? Just because there are lots of doeth's and sayeth's in there? I don't think so. There are many words in Elizabethan English that do not translate well, and even you must accept that most copies available are TRANSLATIONS of the original plays.

Clearly you are emotionally invested in the issue, especially since you no longer teach the subject because people have "pressured" you on the subject of your interpretation. Therefore, for the sake of peace I will withdraw from the discussion. Cheers.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Warning: some of the comments in this thread are bordering on personal attacks on other members for their views. I will be issuing bans if this continues. This is the one and only warning

Warning: The baiting in this is beyond what should be expected of members here, and borders on breaching the site rules
    Last edited by ricktas; 30-06-2011 at 8:39pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gee, I wish I'd have known that when I was studying it at school! I might have paid more attention! Or not.

If this wasn't so sad it would be funny. These lines are taken out of context and, despite the clear connotations in the way you have displayed them, I'd rather read them IN their original context before making a judgement. Just so I can get it clear in my head, who spoke each of the lines you have quoted? And to whom did they speak them? In what context? We all know that lads are more inclined to be lads around other lads, aren't they?

Ok, that's not a reasonable statement to make. Nowhere have I claimed to be an expert on the subject. All I have said is that apparently even other experts, including some of your peers, have by your own admission disagreed with your interpretation of the MAIN THEMES. Of course there will be references to sexuality in any such relationship, but that doesn't make it one of the MAIN THEMES.

Maybe. Or maybe he just wants a kiss, a kind word, some hope that he will be well received when next he calls, whatever! Why does it have to be that he is asking for a quickie before he goes?

Not nice, Scotty.

Really? Just because there are lots of doeth's and sayeth's in there? I don't think so. There are many words in Elizabethan English that do not translate well, and even you must accept that most copies available are TRANSLATIONS of the original plays.

Clearly you are emotionally invested in the issue, especially since you no longer teach the subject because people have "pressured" you on the subject of your interpretation. Therefore, for the sake of peace I will withdraw from the discussion. Cheers.
    You don't seem to want to recognize my point.

My point was that because of many wowsers in the community who choose to see these themes (and only these themes) and pressure schools to not study the text.

Of course, I love the play and recognize it has far more and greater themes than the sordid. But, the fact is, whether or not you choose to recognize the fact, there are these themes - and because of that - some parents want it banned !

It relates to the original topic because classification will give even more wowsers even more traction in their quest to ban great literature. We should not censor art as it is thin thin edge of a dangerous wedge.

Anyway, if you will not recognize any possibility of truth if my words... I give up. Perhaps we should only teach little golden books.

Scott

PS. Other works under that parents have complained about as inappropriate for school kids.

Julius Caesar (violent)
    Othello (too sexual)
    The Catcher in the Rye (Language)
    Away (too sexual)
    Harry Potter (film) (I have no idea why)

and unbelievably

Pleasantville (film)

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My point was that because of many wowsers in the community who choose to see these themes (and only these themes) and pressure schools to not study the text.

Of course, I love the play and recognize it has far more and greater themes than the sordid. But, the fact is, whether or not you choose to recognize the fact, there are these themes - and because of that - some parents want it banned !

It relates to the original topic because classification will give even more wowsers even more traction in their quest to ban great literature. We should not censor art as it is thin thin edge of a dangerous wedge.
    Ah, now this is a point of view I can accept and recognise as reasonable, even if I disagree with its conclusion in regard to banning. Thank you for explaining, Scotty.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting Shakespeare lesson going on in here.

I don't see what all the fuss is about. It's just a proposed classification system

Scotty, at what age would you take a class of school kids to view an exhibition of images by this chap ?

* NWS ! *

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast