User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Remote shutter operation

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Remote shutter operation

What do I need to operate the shutter of my 50D by remote? I have it mounted on my tripod with the 100-400 lens and find I need to be carefull when pressing the shutter button so as not to move the camera even slightly

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'll need to get a remote trigger release for maximum flexibility. Canon make a few and there are plenty of third party remotes.

A quick process without a remote is to set up the timer to delay (2 or 10 seconds I think on a 50D). For a 400mm lens on a crop camera, I'd also set the mirror to locked up to further minimise vibration. (IS off of course on a tripod - assuming the lens has IS).

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never even thought about turning off the IS, must remember to do that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    for my 5DII i bought the canon TC 80N3 Timer Remote Controller ... it wasn't cheap but its an intervalometer, a timer so you can set it for however long you want the exposure, and as a self-timer it can be set for minutes and hours not just 2 or 10 seconds. Its a really handy piece of kit - wired though, not wireless.
    Canon 5DII, Tamron AF 28-300mm F/3.5-6.3, Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM , Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM, Lensbaby Sweet 35, 580EXII, Manfrotto Tripod, CS3 & LR5
    http://www.pbase.com/judyd

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 to what screamer said, although I mainly do landscapes and don't need the wireless trigger so I have the TC80N3 wired remote - if I was to get a wireless remote I would be looking at the PocketWhizard range of remote triggers.
    5D MkII Gripped | EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II | EF 24-70mm f/2.8L | EF 50mm f/1.4 USM | EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro | Extender 2x II | 580EX II & 430EX II Speedlites
    Wanted: The list is long.......so very long........(sighs)
    Oldies but still goodies: AE-1+Program | FD 28mm f/2.8 | FD 50mm f/1.4 | FD 70-210 f/4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Yongnuo intervalometer for my 50D and it has been great and a fraction of the cost of a Canon item. I also have a set of RF602's which operate as a wireless remote release and they have been flawless as well.
    Canon 50D - Zuiko 28/2.8 50/1.8 100/2.8 - Tokina 11-16/2.8

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by terry.langham View Post
    I have a Yongnuo intervalometer for my 50D and it has been great and a fraction of the cost of a Canon item. I also have a set of RF602's which operate as a wireless remote release and they have been flawless as well.
    Well my $45 Intervalometer went swimming on Saturday while I was up to my thighs in a rock pool. After taking out the batteries and allowing it to dry out thoroughly before reinstalling them, it is now working perfectly. Wouldn't have been too concerned if it was a fatal swim, didn't cost much in the first place so no great loss.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got a really cheap $25.00 wired remote that also does time lapse photography, long exposures and delayed exposures - and it looks and works just like the expensive Canon version.
    Works really well.
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got a Phottix Plato C8 wireless remote on my 50D that I purchased on eBay last year. I'm really happy with it. It does everything that the wired Canon version does for approximately $45. +1 to what screamer said... especially re: switching off the IS when your camera is on the tripod. I ruined a lot of photos on my first night shoot because I had the IS turned on.
    Gear (thus far): Canon 50D, Canon 15-85mm IS USM, Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro, Canon 580EX II, Various Filters