Thread: OUT Of Interest - Live View and Histogram

The Commander
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudman View Post
    mike, what i do is if the histogram is too far to the right (over exposure) i adjust the ev until the histogram is more to the left.
    if nothing else i don't blow the highlights, and at times i get a histogram which has a long flat centre top area with little or no graph at either end. this seems to indicate good mid tones (which is what i try for) and little over or under exposure.
    be aware that if you look at the histgram created by your software in PP it may not appear the same as your camera's histogram.
    cheers
    Thanks Mudman - will keep that in mind for sure. I am starting to look forward to utilising the histogram and the use of setting to get the correct capture.
    Please be honest with your Critique of my images. I may not always agree, but I will not be offended - CC assists my learning and is always appreciate

https://mikeathome.smugmug.com/

Canon 5D3 - Gripped, EF 70-200 L IS 2.8 MkII, , 24-105 L 4 IS MkI, 580 EX II Speedlite, 2x 430 Ex II Speedlite

The Commander
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kym View Post
    For landscapes off the tripod, esp. sunsets etc. I do the same.
    Thanks Kym

The Commander
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Irru View Post
    Both of my cameras only have live view (EVF), so that is not a decision I have to make.
    I do love having the histogram there. I do not often shoot in M mode. I only have one dial on the GH2, and if I am using aperture/shutter priority mode, that dial controls that particular setting. If I push the dial in though (it is a push button as well) then it adjusts exposure comp, which is a combination of the other two exposure settings.

eg, in A mode, exposure comp adjusts shutter speed and iso, with the iso restricted within a range that I've set. If I have set a specific iso, then the exposure comp only adjusts shutter speed.

So I compose my shot, choose my aperture, and look at the histogram. If it is blowing out, I adjust the exposure comp.

It boils down to how easy it is for you to adjust Ev. If it is easy then use it! if not, consider using manual instead.
    Very easy to adjust on the 50D

The Commander
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty72 View Post
    I'm similar to Kym in my usuage: If the camera is on a tripod, I mostly use LV (almost always).

Especially for landscapes and things like Vivid etc. (whereas, anything that requires fast focusing = LV is useless).

Generally, the newer cameras have a high res screen and a live histogramme. So, I tend to compose the shot in LV; then, if it's tricky lighting, I'll use the histogramme (generally, I try to go as far right as I can before I get blow-outs (sort like the modern Labor party ); then, use the 10x LV zoom to help me manually focus then, fire away.

Scotty
    Thanks Scotty, histogram use seems to be the key thing to get my head around.

The Commander
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricstew View Post
    Am I the only one who chimps and uses the blinkies? Although I do use the histo as well .....
    cheers
    Jan
    Thanks ricstew, I will ahve to have a look at my 50D, I am not sure it has them in camera.

The Commander
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Test status change

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since writing this, I've acquired a hoodman Loupe to use with Liveview. I Don't know what I did without it.
    Canon 7D : Canon EF 70-200mm f:2.8 L IS II USM - Canon EF 24-105 f:4 L IS USM - Canon EF 50mm f:1.8 - Canon EF-s 18-55mm f:3.5-5.6
    Sigma APO 150-500mm f:5-6.3 DG OS HSM
    - Sigma 10-20mm f:3.5 EX DC HSM
    Speedlite 580 EX II - Nissin Di866 II - Yongnuo 460-II x2 - Kenko extension tube set - Canon Extender EF 1.4x II
    Manfroto monopod - SILK 700DX Pro tripod - Remote release - Cokin Z-Pro filter box + Various filters

Current Social Experiment: CAPRIL - Wearing a cape for the month of April to support Beyond Blue
    Visit me on Flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Live view is great for composition and focus, but also serves as a mirror lock up. with programs like ACR i never bother to use histograms.
    Dan
    50D, BG-E2N, EF 400mm F5.6L USM, EF 70-200mm F2.8L USM, EF 24-105mm F4L USM, 100mm F2.8 Macro USM, 50mm F1.8, few other wickid sick bits
    Dannyscott.wordpress.com

The Commander
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty72 View Post
    Since writing this, I've acquired a hoodman Loupe to use with Liveview. I Don't know what I did without it.
    Never seen one of these loupes before but can definately see the attraction in them. I often go out for a morning walk as an early lunch break to take photos (just a practice / improve skill type thing) very very often the shot is hard to view on the lcd. Depending on cost I may consider one of these - thanks Scotty.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikew09 View Post
    Never seen one of these loupes before but can definately see the attraction in them. I often go out for a morning walk as an early lunch break to take photos (just a practice / improve skill type thing) very very often the shot is hard to view on the lcd. Depending on cost I may consider one of these - thanks Scotty.
    Like many things - you have the choice between name brands at around $100+ or the eBay knockoffs from about $30. However, experience tells me that with optics, you get what you pay for.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At work I just use the highlights/blinkies for exposure advice. The histogram is extremely useful info, but the highlights tell you more quicker.
    The other thing with the camera screen, it is way more contrasty than the images ,and one has to remember not to lose ones nerve when looking at it.
    Togs are what my son wears to go swimming.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the links to Histogram understanding I & M
    Graeme

Nikon D90,Nikon 50mm f1.8D, Nikon 18-105 f3.5-5.6VR, Tamron 70-300 f4-5.6Di VC,Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6 EX, Benro A2692TB1S tripod

The Commander
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since starting this thread I have started using the histogram more and more, especially with landscape shot. It does help me capture as full as possible dynamic range in the shot to aide pp later on. Not tht great at it yet but getting there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i only use live view if i cant get low enough to the ground to see through the view finder if i want a composition thats from the ground facing up etc.

Im starting to use the histogram and the blinkies more.
    Mel

Olympus E300,E30,35mm macro,14-45mm,14-54mm,40-150mm,70-30mm.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12