Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OUT Of Interest - Live View and Histogram

The Commander
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OUT Of Interest - Live View and Histogram

Just out of interest as I struggle to develop my landscape / country style photography.

1. Who uses live view for landscape / seascape / sunrise / set photo shooting

and

2. Who uses the in camera histogram to check lighting / exposure at capture time.

I have used the histogram in PP with my limited knowledge of how it should look but never as an in camera aid.

Really interested to hear how this technique is used to improve the capture. To be honest, though I have had an initial play, have never really used live view in the 50D - to date :-)
    Last edited by mikew09; 24-06-2011 at 10:27am.
    Please be honest with your Critique of my images. I may not always agree, but I will not be offended - CC assists my learning and is always appreciate

https://mikeathome.smugmug.com/

Canon 5D3 - Gripped, EF 70-200 L IS 2.8 MkII, , 24-105 L 4 IS MkI, 580 EX II Speedlite, 2x 430 Ex II Speedlite

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use live view often, but not all the time. I use the in-camera histogram all the time. I like it because I can see where I need to adjust the exposure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Morning Mike, I shoot with my 30D , It does'nt have Live View, I line all my shots up with the View Finder, And every shot that I take I work off the In Camera Histogram, Every shot , I shoot in full manual RAW so I need to see if anything is blowing out or to dark in the Image so I can adjust the exposure accordingly , My keeper rate is usually about 98% out of 60 to 70 shots on a morning shoot
    Last edited by William; 24-06-2011 at 10:38am.
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

The Commander
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by enVision View Post
    I use live view often, but not all the time. I use the in-camera histogram all the time. I like it because I can see where I need to adjust the exposure.
    Thanks enVision. I can definately see the advantage in in camera histogram - I just need to learn how to use it correctly :-). Some members have pointed me to some tutorials which no doubt will help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will use live view only when I can't get a decent look through the viewfinder, but usually only to compose the shot once then turn it off while I am shooting the scene. I have found the battery dies really quick when using live view constantly.

Always use the histogram for landscapes and when getting a 'base' exposure in other situations. However in PP I rarely pay much attention to the entire histogram, but will use it to see what areas are blown out or blacked out.
    Canon 50D - Zuiko 28/2.8 50/1.8 100/2.8 - Tokina 11-16/2.8

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikew09 View Post
    Thanks enVision. I can definately see the advantage in in camera histogram - I just need to learn how to use it correctly :-). Some members have pointed me to some tutorials which no doubt will help.
    Online ones? The only tutorial I've used which involved histograms was on a CD that came with a photography magazine I bought, but it was very basic.

The Commander
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    Morning Mike, I shoot with my 30D , It does'nt have Live View, I line all my shots up with the View Finder, And every shot that I take I work off the In Camera Histogram, Every shot , I shoot in full manual RAW so I need to see if anything is blowing out or to dark in the Image so I can adjust the exposure accordingly , My keeper rate is usually about 98% out of 60 to 70 shots on a morning shoot
    Thanks William. Defiantely see the value in using the histogram, I need to understand how to apply it effectively now. That is very interesting about your keeper percentage - not so for me :-). Hopefully understanding how to use in camera histogram will assist.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For landscapes off the tripod, esp. sunsets etc. I do the same.
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mike, what i do is if the histogram is too far to the right (over exposure) i adjust the ev until the histogram is more to the left.
    if nothing else i don't blow the highlights, and at times i get a histogram which has a long flat centre top area with little or no graph at either end. this seems to indicate good mid tones (which is what i try for) and little over or under exposure.
    be aware that if you look at the histgram created by your software in PP it may not appear the same as your camera's histogram.
    cheers
    cc and enjoy

Photography is painting with light

K1, Pentax 18-250mm zoom, Pentax 100mm macro, Sigma 50-500mm, Pentax 28-105mm
    Velbon Sherpa tripod Photoshop CS6

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Both of my cameras only have live view (EVF), so that is not a decision I have to make.
    I do love having the histogram there. I do not often shoot in M mode. I only have one dial on the GH2, and if I am using aperture/shutter priority mode, that dial controls that particular setting. If I push the dial in though (it is a push button as well) then it adjusts exposure comp, which is a combination of the other two exposure settings.

eg, in A mode, exposure comp adjusts shutter speed and iso, with the iso restricted within a range that I've set. If I have set a specific iso, then the exposure comp only adjusts shutter speed.

So I compose my shot, choose my aperture, and look at the histogram. If it is blowing out, I adjust the exposure comp.

It boils down to how easy it is for you to adjust Ev. If it is easy then use it! if not, consider using manual instead.
    Panasonic GH2 --- Pana 7-14mm --- Pana 100-300mm --- Pana f1.7/20mm --- Panaleica f2.8/45mm macro --- Pana 14-45mm
    Canon G10 when I want to pocket it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm similar to Kym in my usuage: If the camera is on a tripod, I mostly use LV (almost always).

Especially for landscapes and things like Vivid etc. (whereas, anything that requires fast focusing = LV is useless).

Generally, the newer cameras have a high res screen and a live histogramme. So, I tend to compose the shot in LV; then, if it's tricky lighting, I'll use the histogramme (generally, I try to go as far right as I can before I get blow-outs (sort like the modern Labor party ); then, use the 10x LV zoom to help me manually focus then, fire away.

Scotty
    Canon 7D : Canon EF 70-200mm f:2.8 L IS II USM - Canon EF 24-105 f:4 L IS USM - Canon EF 50mm f:1.8 - Canon EF-s 18-55mm f:3.5-5.6
    Sigma APO 150-500mm f:5-6.3 DG OS HSM
    - Sigma 10-20mm f:3.5 EX DC HSM
    Speedlite 580 EX II - Nissin Di866 II - Yongnuo 460-II x2 - Kenko extension tube set - Canon Extender EF 1.4x II
    Manfroto monopod - SILK 700DX Pro tripod - Remote release - Cokin Z-Pro filter box + Various filters

Current Social Experiment: CAPRIL - Wearing a cape for the month of April to support Beyond Blue
    Visit me on Flickr

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Online ones? The only tutorial I've used which involved histograms was on a CD that came with a photography magazine I bought, but it was very basic.
    Here are two pages that will give you a good start.

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tut...istograms1.htm

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tut...istograms2.htm
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Am I the only one who chimps and uses the blinkies? Although I do use the histo as well .....
    cheers
    Jan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricstew View Post
    Am I the only one who chimps and uses the blinkies? Although I do use the histo as well .....
    cheers
    Jan
    No Jan, your not alone, I use the blinkies combined with the Histogram as well

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ... What are the 'blinkies'?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Irru View Post
    ... What are the 'blinkies'?
    On my Camera, It's a highlight warning that flashes on and off in the blownout parts of the image thats on the same screen as the Histogram, Newer camera's may be different

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use that also. On my camera, and therefore, I'll assume most camera's, when reviewing the images with the histogram, it also has that 'blinkies' thing showing at the same time, which means I can use both

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the histogram and the blinkies all the time.
    When I expose I aim to slightly overexpose the brightest parts of the scene Doing this will mean I get the most amount of detail possible(especially in the dark parts) It's a fine line and I want the slightly overexposed parts to be easily recoverable in ACR.
    Chris

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricstew View Post
    cheers
    Jan
    Yes
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nahanah no I'm not Kiwi......I like my blinkies. The yellow for the blacks and reds for the whites. After a while you get to recognise how much and where they blink and how much you can recover in LR or where ever. I love the histogram in LR.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast