I need a Canon owner in the Redlands bay area( Cleveland is where I live) who would be prepared to put my EF 100mm f 2.8 macros usm and my EF 70-300mm IS USM onto their camera body to see if they are functioning properly so that I can find out if it is my camera (7D) that has to go back or the lenses. Currently the 100mm will not focus at all if it is starting from about 0.5m and then say has to focus at 5m. And the 70-300 will also not focus if it is set at 300mm and I try and focus say on a distant object and then back to a near object. I rather suspect that it is the camera, but to find out which it is I need to put the lens on a different body and see if they function properly.
All items are still under warranty, just that the lens are with Canon and the Body with the retailer, so they can not all go back to the one place. Just one of the small drawbacks of using grey importers. I have sent a pm to one of the forum members who lives nearby but have not yet got a response so thought that a broader approach may be worth a try too.