Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2

Thread: Underwater wide angle?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Underwater wide angle?

Hello everyone,

I’m wondering if there is anyone on here that shoots underwater wide angle and also uses the lens topside? I have just been given a Nikon D7000 and having trouble deciding what lens to buy. I have been searching or rather researching a lens that I could use for wide angle underwater but was also a good lens to use on land for landscapes and possibly family down the beach. Does such a lens exist? Am I being too optimistic in thinking that I can spend around $700 on a lens to get all this? I was nearly sold on the idea that the Tokina 11-16mm would fit the bill but the more I research on forums the less convinced I am. I know that this question is probably more suited to a specific underwater photography forum but seeing as I am a member here and I know that there are people that shoot underwater I thought I would post to see.

At the moment I am using a Nikon D70s with a 60mm in a Sea & Sea housing. I love the macro lens but am keen to move into underwater wide angle also. I was thinking that the f/2.8 might be good in low light underwater situations. I’ve read that the Tokina 10-17mm fisheye is also great for underwater use but I doubt I would like shooting topside landscapes in fisheye all the time.

Does anyone have a Tokina 11-16mm that they have lying around that I could borrow and test out? haha

If anyone has an opinion I would love to hear it, especially those who shoot underwater wide and topside.

Thanks
    Nick

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry can't help you but all sounds very interesting, good luck in your Quest.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haha thanks rebel, after many hours of research I've come to the conclusion that I will probably buy two different lenses. I just managed to pick up the Tokina 11-16mm which is practically new (only used a couple of times by a wedding photographer) for a great price only $560. Then when I manage to save up another $600 in my coin jar I'll look at getting the Tokina 10-17mm. So far I have $3.50 in the old coffee tin in the cupboard, but hey I get my tax done in three weeks I might try to get up early tomorrow and take some pics on the coast somewhere!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nick, I can't speak to the underwater side of things, but I can say that I have a 10-22 UWA and the Tokina 10-17 fish, and I user them both for landscape work regularly and with perfect satisfaction. You most certainly can use the 10-17mm fisheye for landscapes, and it produces very realistic, worthwhile images, provided only that you always keep the horizon centered. If you can discipline yourself to follow the rather different rules of using a fish successfully, you will be very pleased with your results.
    Tony

It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Morning Nick, Mate you need to talk to Matt Shepherd, Send him a PM , He's right into that sort of stuff, Look in my Profile, He's a friend of mine , You can PM him from there - Bill

Hang on Nick, I was mistaken, He's not there in my friends list

Heres a link to his profile - http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...-matt-shepherd
    Last edited by William; 25-06-2011 at 11:30am.
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the replies, now that I have the 11-16mm I'm just going to try and get out there and shoot. I really need to just practice and seeing as I've never really shot landscapes before I'm in for a lot of learning! It's photos like yours William and Matt's that inspired me to want to take these types of photos. I think I need to get a Graduated Neutral Density Filter and set my alarm thanks for the info on the fisheye Tony, judging by the popularity of the 10-17 I think I'm just going to get one as soon as the piggy bank starts to fill up haha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Warning !! Landscapes and Sunrises can get addictive , Yes Nick , A set of Grad Filters is a must for Landscapes and Sunrises if your not into exposure blending of two or more images , Which I'm not

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mate, I can barely turn the camera on without assistance let alone jumping straight into HDR lol
    I took a shot on my iPhone of a sunrise in the Philippines recently, that was the only camera I had at the time, would have loved to have the D7000 and new lens
    I will post it when I work out how to do it again, it's been a while!

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is the sunrise pic, the colours were amazing. I havent seen anything like it here in Sydney.
    puerto galera sunrise.jpg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probally a bit late for you now. I use a G12 (compact) for my underwater photography but my mates that have DSLR all rave about the Tokina 10 - 17mm for wide angle underwater.

You can also try Wetpixel for advice as well.

Karl
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Canon G12 in a Recsea housing with twin YS110 Alpha strobes
    Canon 7D with Sigma 18 - 250mm & 170 - 500mm lenses

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah thanks Karl I posted there as well for a view to getting a review on the underwater aspects of the lens but thought that the experience on here in it's members would answer some of my questions for the land based shooting. I will eventually get the other lens as well I think ;p

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey mate I just stumbled across this.
    The 10-17 is a wonderful lens for underwater wide angle. I do know people that have shot with the 11-16 but once they shoot with the 10-17 they don't go back. But saying that the 11-16 would be really nice for subjects like ship wrecks were you don't want to much distortion.
    You will also need a dome port and possibly an extension ring for correct placement of the port.

Hope this helps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by matt shepherd View Post
    Hey mate I just stumbled across this.
    The 10-17 is a wonderful lens for underwater wide angle. I do know people that have shot with the 11-16 but once they shoot with the 10-17 they don't go back. But saying that the 11-16 would be really nice for subjects like ship wrecks were you don't want to much distortion.
    You will also need a dome port and possibly an extension ring for correct placement of the port.

Hope this helps.
    Thanks Matt, I was trying to think of the Domed Port to tell Nick about using the Widey in the Housing , Could'nt remember the name of it - Bill

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by occifer nick View Post
    Here is the sunrise pic, the colours were amazing. I havent seen anything like it here in Sydney.
    puerto galera sunrise.jpg
    BTW Nick , Nothing wrong with this , I think you'll do alright getting some nice shots on land , Just remember to keep a check on the Horizon levels
    Last edited by William; 26-06-2011 at 8:00pm. Reason: Speeling Misteak

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol it's not that noticeable on the iPad William! Lol
    Thanks Matt, I'm definitely going to keep an eye out for the 10-17mm, also looking out for a housing for the D7000. I love the look of the Nuticam but pricey!!! I hope the tax man is nice to me next month haha