• 16-35/2.8L II
    • 17-40/4L
    • 50/1.2L
    • 70-300/4-5.6L

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So the 24-105L does'nt need a filter to completely seal it , I thought it was needed , If thats the case , Cool, because I don't use filters anymore
    Last edited by William; 22-06-2011 at 3:28pm.
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Canon don't publish a list, William, I'm just going on what I can glean from the web. If it needs a filter to seal it, that will be mentioned in the manual. Hang on a tic, I might have a manual here ...

Nope. Not needed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats good , I did'nt have a manual, I bought it second hand off Odille( Analog6)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^ In that case, throw the lens away, it's no good. She will already have taken all the good pictures, the only ones left in it will be the duds.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, while on the subject of filters, has anyone else ever had this:

As noted above, I was keeping the UV filter on all the time, and then putting either a ND8 or GND one of the top of it. I noticed that if I put both on, or if I had any combination of 3 filters, I would get the edges of the circle in the four corners of my photo. Each corner would have this big dark curve in it.

So I came to the conclusion I could only stack 2 filters in total at one time on my lens. Anyone experience this before?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tannin View Post
    All the others are either fully sealed as-is, or not sealed. Note that you need a sealed body as well - essentially just the 1 Series pro models. (Not sure about the 7D. Certainly not the 5D or any of the XXD models.)
    Erm 5D II has some weather sealing, while it's not 1D level sealing it's better than none.

A quick grab from The Digital Picture 5D II review.

Under the covers finds a rugged magnesium alloy frame with some weather sealing. How much sealing? Well, here is the statement from the 5D II White Paper: "... the weather and dust seals have been improved around the battery compartments and memory card doors, and increased precision in the alignment of the magnesium alloy external cover seams and in the optimal design of parts and structures contribute to the cameras’ dust and water resistance. Internal gaskets and sealing materials are used extensively at the cameras’ buttons, tripod sockets, and surrounding the LCDs. As a result, the EOS 5D Mark II now has dust and water resistance that is almost equal to that of the EOS-1N—Canon’s top-of-the-line professional 35mm SLR for most of the 1990’s." OK, so maybe that doesn't completely clear up the question, but ... there is at least partial sealing. No built-in flash eliminates sealing concerns of this feature.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff79 View Post
    Actually, while on the subject of filters, has anyone else ever had this:

As noted above, I was keeping the UV filter on all the time, and then putting either a ND8 or GND one of the top of it. I noticed that if I put both on, or if I had any combination of 3 filters, I would get the edges of the circle in the four corners of my photo. Each corner would have this big dark curve in it.

So I came to the conclusion I could only stack 2 filters in total at one time on my lens. Anyone experience this before?
    You're experiencing vignetting.

If the filters contain standard-sized rims, you may experience vignetting when stacking two or more filters.

Putting aside the fact that I do not at all recommend the use of UV filters, there's even less of a need to use one if you have a polariser or ND filter attached as well.

Account Closed
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff79 View Post
    I've only just got filters for the first time ever this year. I've always had that UV one over the lens (because it came with the camera), more as protection rather than anything else. Like another poster said, I get quite adventurous with some of my treks over rocks and through bushes and often on the beach, and for peace of mind I'm much happier just having that UV one on front. Not so much for photo-enhancement reasons, but just basic protection.

Due to financial limitations I have purchased Hoya exclusively so far. A couple of ND8, a couple of GND ones and also a CPL the other day, just because. Not sure I'll ever use the CPL, though. At the moment I keep them in a special little folder, with sleeves for each lens. It's not ideal, but it's space friendly and allows me to keep them with me when I have the camera and bag. So far I've dropped 3 filters on rocks and in a rockpool, so the concept of spending a lot of money on a filter sadly just wouldn't work with me. I don't trust myself that much!

As for sizes, I have my 18-200mm Canon Lens and at the moment that's all I need. So each filter so far has been 72mm because that's the only size I need.
    Geoff, If you do any landscapes, waterfalls or plant photography the CPL is great for removing the sheen from the folage, wet rocks etc and it saturates the colours. I never use a CPL for making the sky darker I use mine a lot for removing shine from plants etc...as a nature photographer it's a must have filter.

Account Closed
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenedis View Post
    You're experiencing vignetting.

If the filters contain standard-sized rims, you may experience vignetting when stacking two or more filters.

Putting aside the fact that I do not at all recommend the use of UV filters, there's even less of a need to use one if you have a polariser or ND filter attached as well.
    That is why Nikons early CPL filter (which I still use) was a 77mm thread but the front element is about 82mm and needed its own lens hood. So you would put on your other filters first and the CPL last...wholla no vignetting except on very wide angled lenses but then again a 20mm was classed as extreme in those days.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's an interesting test on uv filters

http://www.petapixel.com/2011/06/16/...-of-uv-filters
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for those posts, Xenedis & James.

Xenedis, for the photos I've taken since "the incident" I have actually removed my UV filter first and only used the actual filters I am using for a specific purpose. This way I never have more than two filters on at once... preferrably just the one at a time. It's all experiment stage at the moment, so just trying to figure out what works best.

James, thanks for the post. That helps a lot and maybe I will use the CPL filter after all, as I have noticed on a few recent shots that I have been getting a bit of glare/sheen/shine.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    Here's an interesting test on uv filters

http://www.petapixel.com/2011/06/16/...-of-uv-filters
    Indeed, that is interesting. A little over-the-top, but I guess the point is proven.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12