Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are photographers destined to be 'unknown'

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by James T View Post
    Ansel Adams, Annie Leibovitz, Man Ray, Henri Cartier-Bresson, David Bailey, Irving Penn, 'Robert Capa', Cecil Beaton, James Nachtwey?, Edward Steichen... all very well known by the non-photographic public.
    Well, 12 months ago I was part of the "non-photographic public" and I couldn't have told you who any of them were! Now I know who Ansel Adams, Annie Leibovitz and a few of the others are but couldn't tell you much about their work ... except for Adams, about whose work I know a very, VERY little.

Quote Originally Posted by James T View Post
    Do something worth remembering, and people will remember it, and you.
    This is true of all art, up to a point. I'm not real sure about the "... and you" bit. There are famous works of art that we can all say "That's a so-and-so", but there are other famous works of art that we would likely say "I know that picture/painting/sculpture but I have no idea who made it"!

My education in these things is only slowly being informed by contact with this community and its appreciation of artistic talent among photographers past and present. If I were still a member of the "non-photographic public" I'd be none the wiser, despite my connections to many things to do with art and culture in other areas of my life.

I guess it depends on the circles in which you move; your social source of reference. I agree with Scotty that the common perception of photographic artists is "How much talent can it take to push a button?" There is an enormous disconnect between the photographic art that IS valued and the photographic artists who created it being recognised IMHO.
    Waz
    Be who you are and say what you mean, because those who matter don't mind don't matter and those who mind don't matter - Dr. Seuss...
    D700 x 2 | Nikkor AF 50 f/1.8D | Nikkor AF 85 f/1.8D | Optex OPM2930 tripod/monopod | Enthusiasm ...

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Then there are situation like this riot kiss which is now being questioned...

http://www.theage.com.au/lifestyle/p...620-1gb1h.html

Photography can be altered, set up, 'photoshopped' and I would say that Joe Bloggs doesn't place much value on the art due to these factors eroding the skills (in their eyes). Does this sort of story take away from the art that is photography?
    Mic

Photography is the art of telling stories with light.

www.michaelgoulding.com

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Turns out "Riot Kiss" wasn't staged as some were saying...

http://www.theage.com.au/technology/...624-1gi4f.html

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12