User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We may have missed the boat on this offer.

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We may have missed the boat on this offer.

Seeing as the offer to own an "exclusive collectors' item" was limited to only 2,000 units and has been running for 8 days we may have missed out.

Is it just me that sees marketing like this as bordering on obscene or is it the future we all face when we buying a camera, sort of like ordering a new car and "personalising" it with a range of options.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yeah, sort of like car models. Where they bring out limited editions of Commodores etc. You get the leather trim and maybe a nice sleek spoiler, but give it a few years and your limited edition car is no different to any other clapped out old commodore.

It is just a marketing gimmick that sadly some fall for. After all underneath it is a Canon 1100D and works the same as the black ones.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd prefer an 'L-series-white' model to match my lenses. ;-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, I think it is quite an offer. 2000 units compared to the numbers that Canon sell is pretty small, and it looks pretty smart. They are obviously trying to lure beginners into the hobby that would otherwise think " Derrrr, an ugly black camera, No way Dude ". But a bright Red one. " Hey, look at me " If 10% of the red buyers get hooked and go on to purchase more and better equipment then I think the PR guys have done their job. Maybe one day black ones will be the rare ones. Who knows. By the way Andrew, it's not the "future". It's already here.
    Cheers, Paul.
    Canon 50D w BG l Nifty Fifty l Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 l Sigma 24-70 f2.8 l EF 100mm f2.8 USM Macro l EF 300 f4L IS USM l EF 1.4X ll TC l 430EXII l Vanguard Alto Pro 263 w BH100 l Manfrotto 680B w 234RC l Lowepro Bags.l Sigma EM-140 Ring Flash.

Moderately Underexposed
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PH005 View Post
    Actually, I think it is quite an offer. 2000 units compared to the numbers that Canon sell is pretty small, and it looks pretty smart. They are obviously trying to lure beginners into the hobby that would otherwise think " Derrrr, an ugly black camera, No way Dude ". But a bright Red one. " Hey, look at me " If 10% of the red buyers get hooked and go on to purchase more and better equipment then I think the PR guys have done their job. Maybe one day black ones will be the rare ones. Who knows. By the way Andrew, it's not the "future". It's already here.
    More to the point, I think that they ( Canon, Nikon, Pentax etc. ) are seeing a decline in sales of the entry level DSLRs due to the massive improvements in the capabilities of the higher end compacts, the new small form factor interchangeable lens bodies and even mobile phone cameras and as such are starting ( maybe too late ) to try to desperately claw back some sales.
    Last edited by I @ M; 13-06-2011 at 10:03am.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I @ M View Post
    More to the point, I think that they ( Canon, Nikon, Pentax etc. ) are seeing a decline in sales of the entry level DSLRs due to the massive improvements in the capabilities of the higher end compacts, the new small form factor interchangeable lens bodies and even mobile phone cameras and as such are starting ( maybe too late ) to try to desperately claw back some sales.
    I'm really not sure why Canon introduced the XXXXD-series of EOS cameras as an entry-level model, when the XXXD-series already served that market.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's just a marketing gimmick. Persoanlly a red camera turns me right off, although even Hasselblad have done it with the "Ferrari" model. And you can pay $11,000 extra for the privilege of:

"The H4D Ferrari Limited Edition is finished in Ferrari's unique color "rosso fuoco", and bears the legendary Racing Shield. Presented in an exclusively designed and engineered box with a glass top equally labeled with the distinctive Ferrari Racing Shield. Dual layers, one for the camera, with the lens and accessories housed in a separate lower level, are lined with a soft and rich material. This striking case is housed in a special handmade case and therefore is ideal for both storage and display"

H4D-40 Ferrari Limited Edition Camera Kit with 80mm f/2.8 HC Lens
    Last edited by Analog6; 13-06-2011 at 10:52am.
    Odille

“Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky”

My Blog | Canon 1DsMkII | 60D | Tokina 20-35mm f/2.8 AF AT-X PRO | EF50mm f/1.8| Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM | Fujifilm X-T1 & X-M1 | Fujinon XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XC 50-230mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XF 18-55mm F2.8-4R LM OIS | tripods, flashes, filters etc ||

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes your right I@M. Its all designed to increase sales one way or another. As for the " Ferrari Hasselblad ". Well , if you've got that sort of money to spare. Maybe Rick will put one up as a prize sometime.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lots of people are willing to pay canon for gimmicks - such as white paint on their lens or a cute red L jks
    Successful People Make Adjustments - Evander Holyfield

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dont laugh Kym. It might be closer than you think.

Moderately Underexposed
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kym View Post
    Try this Andrew...
    Uh huh, I think Mr. P started this blasphemy and if Mr. N follows suit I might just buy a Holga.

Now where has that entirely appropriate emoticon gone?

aah found the only one that fits the job description.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can't get the full range of Pentax Body/Grip/Lens colours outside .jp ... It is for some unknown reason a fashion statement in the Ginza

Some more 'colour' images ....
    http://www.trafegodigital.com/wp-con...x-K-r-DSLR.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-fM4-Odt6Qd...0/IMGP2642.JPG

http://cdn.cbsi.com.au/story_media/3.../CPshow_13.jpg

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PH005 View Post
    Yes your right I@M. Its all designed to increase sales one way or another. As for the " Ferrari Hasselblad ". Well , if you've got that sort of money to spare. Maybe Rick will put one up as a prize sometime.
    A Canon....??? Surely you jest

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    A Canon....??? Surely you jest
    No ! The Hasselblad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't see the problem. It is Canon trying to find a gimmick to increase the sales for Canon. What else would you expect them to do? If there are people out there willing to be swayed by the livery (rather than quality / functionality) of a camera, good luck to Canon.

BTW, I don't doubt that there are a whole bunch of fools just waiting to be parted from their money.

Scott
    Canon 7D : Canon EF 70-200mm f:2.8 L IS II USM - Canon EF 24-105 f:4 L IS USM - Canon EF 50mm f:1.8 - Canon EF-s 18-55mm f:3.5-5.6
    Sigma APO 150-500mm f:5-6.3 DG OS HSM
    - Sigma 10-20mm f:3.5 EX DC HSM
    Speedlite 580 EX II - Nissin Di866 II - Yongnuo 460-II x2 - Kenko extension tube set - Canon Extender EF 1.4x II
    Manfroto monopod - SILK 700DX Pro tripod - Remote release - Cokin Z-Pro filter box + Various filters

Current Social Experiment: CAPRIL - Wearing a cape for the month of April to support Beyond Blue
    Visit me on Flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Makes sense to me. There is bound to be a fair proprtion of entry DSLR buyers that won't be able to discern the differences in brands (if there is any real difference at all) and will be attracted to the red one 'cos it is not black. Then as we all know GAS kicks in and they become a Canonian for life......
    Canon 50D - Zuiko 28/2.8 50/1.8 100/2.8 - Tokina 11-16/2.8

Moderately Underexposed
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad to see there is at least one person that doesn't disagree with their marketing strategy Scotty, as they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty72 View Post
    BTW, I don't doubt that there are a whole bunch of fools just waiting to be parted from their money.
    I don't doubt it either, sort of sums up why Canon sell the most number of cameras world wide these days.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty72 View Post
    They should be directed to nikon.com.au. ;-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenedis View Post
    They should be directed to nikon.com.au. ;-)
    Ouch

*Cuddles his Sony Alpha and smiles cause it is not a Nikon*
    Cartel Imagery
    Flickr

Nikon D7000
    Sony a65
    Canon 5D MKII

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast