User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  125
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ausphotography : Site Issues : Resolution Coming SOON!

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Ausphotography : Site Issues : Resolution Coming SOON!

I have been very aware of the site issues in recent times and outages, slowness, database and access errors etc.

With all this in mind, I have decided to move the site to a better hosting option. There will be some planning to take place before this eventuates, but it is envisaged that the site will move during the latter part of July.

The site is presently on a shared server, meaning we share the hard drive, RAM and all resources (including MySQL access) with other websites that are on the server. The server that AP is hosted on has 113 websites running off it at present. All of these other sites use the shared resources of the server and thus impact our speeds, access, etc.

In July the site will move to a dedicated hosting solution, where it will have its own separate server space and will not be influenced or affected by any other sites. This undertaking will mean that there will be a complete site outage during the move and the timing of this will be announced as more planning is done and the site is ready to move.

The benefits will be that Ausphotography will run on its own server with
    CPU 1.98 GHZ
    RAM 1344 MB
    Disk Space 59 GB
    Bandwidth 1050 GB

Once on the new server, complete control of the site will be within our hands, rather than needing to rely on server support from the hosting company, so in most instances any issues will be able to resolved 'in house'. The dedicated server solution is also upgradable, so if we need more Disk Space or bandwidth for example, I can just upgrade it.

I know that between now and when the upgrade takes place, we will probably continue to experience access issues and slowness at times. I hope you bear with us, knowing that there is a solution and we are working towards it.

This new hosting means an increase in costs (over double) for running the site. So please, use the site advertisers if you can, or make a donation through the AP Shop. By supporting the Ausphotography advertisers or donating, you are helping to keep AP online, and improving. I don't particularly like asking for members to give money etc, which is why I don't do it very often, but ultimately all of us will benefit from this move, and if you think AP has helped you since you joined up, please help to deliver a better, faster site, for you!

Thanks for remaining supportive and active members during the recent issues, and be assured that once the site moves, there should be a marked increase in access speed, and a big reduction (we are hoping for zero) errors generated.

Keep taking photos, enjoying your photography, and sharing with us all, here at Ausphotography.
    Last edited by ricktas; 18-06-2011 at 10:37am.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the technically minded we are getting a Virtual Private Server with a full backup and management options.

Rick and I have been discussing this for a while, but had held off due to the costs per month (which Rick wears) being much higher.

The effect of this upgrade will be consistent reasonable response times.

Another benefit is that I will be able to turn the attachment thumbnails back on and this will make the attachments system more usable.
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to all for the work & expenses that go into AP, what would we do without AP
    I know nothing about servers or hosting ..........but is this new setup in your back-yard or still in USA ?
    Col

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    We have spent the last week or so getting quotes from as many Australian Hosting sites as we could. The cheapest was still around 40% more than hosting in the USA. So due to cost factors the new hosting will remain in the USA. Some were well over double the USA price. I certainly cannot afford to spend $150.00 or more, per month, to keep the site online, as Ausphotography would not even pay its own way, leaving nothing for the occasional prize etc.

If an Australian Hosting company starts to offer cost effective hosting I will be the first to move the site to an Australian hosting company. Interestingly some supposed Australian Hosting companies really just act as intermediaries and the physical server is outside of Australia anyway. So although they were offering themselves up as an Australian Hosting company, only the company itself was in Australia, they were just buying servers in overseas centres and on-selling the product branded as their own.

The cheapest hosting we found was from China, but we had concerns about reliability, and impact of the Chinese net censorship on the operation of Ausphotography.
    Last edited by ricktas; 17-06-2011 at 8:58pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for doing this.
    f o t o w o r x

People taking the time out to give me CC is always very much appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rick, a good move and more strength to your arm
    Richard
    I've been wrong before!! Happy to have constructive criticism though.Gear used Canon 50D, 7D & 5DMkII plus expensive things hanging off their fronts and of course a "nifty fifty".

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is a good move Rick - Kym. The site will benefit from it.
    Another thing I think would be good, and speed the site up, is a mail out to all members that have made less than 5 posts and haven't been on the site for say 6 months. Stating that if they don't reply they will be deleted from the forum.
    I was just doing some research on the forum and found a couple of threads were a member has made 1 post to ask a question, then never seen again.
    This will thin out the database, and the search of the database much quicker, and put less pressure on the server. Out of the 14.2K of membership, I'm sure there is only about 30% are here for genuine reasons.

Only my thoughts.....

P.S. I have a site, and pruning is set at 10 Posts/90 Days, and I might get 1 email a month to ask why. But I do have a system were members can email me and say that they will be away, and I make them exempt from pruning.
    I had a member base of 15,000 plus 12 months ago and with the pruning it averages at about 3,000 to 4,000 members now..
    Last edited by geoffsta; 18-06-2011 at 6:03am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great move guys. I'm sure that once the site issues are resolved, more people will be encouraged to join.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good move - I have been thinking that the slowness I was experiencing with the site was from my end.
    CAMERA: Nikon D800, Nikon D7000
    LENSES: AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Macro, Sigma 10 - 20mm F/4 - 5.6, Sigma 150 - 500mm F/5 - 6.3 APO DG OS, Nikkor 18 - 200mm F/3.5 - 5.6 VRII,
    Sigma 70 - 200mm f2.8 APO EX DG OS, Tamron SP 24 - 70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD, Sigma 85mm F/1.4 EX DG, Nikkor AF-S 16-35mm F/4 ED VR
    MY WEBSITES: www.nawimages.com, http://nelliewajzerphotography.smugmug.com/, http://NellieWajzerPhotography.blogspot.com

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    (If inappropriate please remove.)
    Rick and Mods. And all the effort you put in! You all sound so polite. It seems like the hosters (I won't say hosts) have 4-gotten us. They get paid and this is what we get? I've been woeing, lamenting and generally gnashing my teeth - on behalf of many here. Then I thought I'd log out to help things, but it would only help the hosters, so I stayed pout.(As in pouting).
    I feel like to telling 'em their servers sucque.
    Humph!

Edit: When I posted this I waited ages, then it went straight to the Edit post screen. I went back a screen or 2 and refreshed with F5, and finally saw it. After a while I added this.
    Last edited by ameerat42; 18-06-2011 at 5:38pm.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers Ric and Kym.........she sure is running slowley tonight. I got this if thats any help Error: HTTPd: malformed header from script /forum/showthread.php
    I also thought it was at my end ( bloody telstrahhh) ! cheers
    Jan

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a USA host that was like this. Kept telling me that I was overloading the server,and that I should pay more and go to a dedicated server. I got rid of all the plugins except analytics, and it still made no difference.
    I'm now with an Australian host with twice as many plugins, and two domains and 2 databases. Not a single drop out, or problem in 9 months.
    Sure this mob is not trying to do the same?
    Geoff
    Honesty is best policy.
    CC is always welcome
    Nikon D3000 ... Nikon D90... Nikon D700 Various lenses, Home studio equipment and all the associated stuff
    Flickr

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffsta View Post
    I had a USA host that was like this. Kept telling me that I was overloading the server,and that I should pay more and go to a dedicated server. I got rid of all the plugins except analytics, and it still made no difference.
    I'm now with an Australian host with twice as many plugins, and two domains and 2 databases. Not a single drop out, or problem in 9 months.
    Sure this mob is not trying to do the same?
    They have told us it is not us causing this. AP has outgrown the current hosting plan. The site is so big now it sort of breaches their T&C for shared hosting. They also don't allow photography hosting on shared servers, we got around that by being a forum, not a photo hosting site. So we have kinda pushed the boundaries for a while now. Kym and I will be talking today regarding the site move, as the slowness is getting worse at certain times of the day.

We may move the site sooner rather than later.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update 2011-06-24

Rick and I have firmed up the server move plans.
    Due to work issues (EOFY) I can't do it now, so we have scheduled Friday the 22nd of July

The plan (as confirmed with our hosting provider)
    • Monday 2011-07-18
      • Announce the move to all members via a site notice
      • Buy the new server
      • Request the TTL (Time To Live) on our domain names to be set to 3600 seconds (1 hour)
      • Prepare the existing server to redirect to the new server via IP address
    • Thursday 2011-07-21
      • Confirm everything with the Hosting Provider
      • Set the overnight backup to leave AP off-line
    • Friday 2011-07-22
      • Clear the search index table (its huge)
      • Redirect DNS domains to new server IP address
      • Tell the hosting provider to move AP to the new server @ 8:00am
      • Wait for move (30 minutes)
      • Test everything on the new server
      • Regenerate the search index (2 hours)
      • Enable IP address based access to AP on the new server
      • Run a backup of AP on the new server
      • Put AP back online on the new server
      • Turn on the IP address based redirect from the old server with advisory messages
    • Beyond Saturday 2011-07-23
      • Clean up the old server (remove everything except the redirects)
      • Start configuring performance and feature improvements we could not do on the shared host (on going through August)
        I.e.
        - Enable attachment thumbnails
        - memcache for the forum settings etc.
        - Sphinx Search (much faster to index)
        - MySQL Database tuning
        - Apache web server tuning (cache etc)

We will keep you all informed as things progress.
    Last edited by Kym; 24-06-2011 at 11:29am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank Kym for that update.
    I will just put a note in my diary to go out photographing on Saturday July 22, in the morning.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome job to date and a big one to move, a big thank you to all involved
    Kassy
    Nikon D700
    CC Welcome and Appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't wait for this to happen. Definitely a step in the right direction.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good work Rick & Kym

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes Kym I think that just about covers it. Oh and a strong cup of coffee. Keep up the good work. cheers Brian PS As if I knew

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thank you...thats great news, I have a dinosaur for a computer so it makes it very difficult to upload photos but maybe with the new server it might make it a little easier - good on you guys - I love this site and all of the information it provides.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast