Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do you find inspiration?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Usually, from seeing images or footage of pretty amazing places
    either that or, amazing shots from places I would have otherwise passed by
    Sometimes, while we're on the road, Marianne and I might play a game for a spot we've either been to alot before, or don't find that attractive : The ONE shot challenge to see what we can come up with that previous 20-25mb on the CF card
    Call me Dylan! www.everlookphotography.com | www.everlookphotography.wordpress.com | www.flickr.com/photos/dmtoh
    Canon EOS R5, : 16-35mm F4 L, 70-200F4 canon L, 24-70mm 2.8IIcanon L, Sirui tripod + K20D ballhead + RRS ballhead. |Sony A7r2 + Laowa 12mm F2.8, Nisi 15mm F4
    Various NiSi systems : Currently using switch filter and predominantly 6 stop ND, 10 stop ND, 3 stop medium GND
    Post : Adobe lightroom classic CC : Photoshop CC. Various actions for processing and web export

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I often get tense when I am homebound because I don't find things to photograph that really speak to me. Which is why I sadly rarely take a photo during the week. That, and I work a 9 hour day that completely destroys any moment I might otherwise find to take a photo.

I am a man of nature and find it impossible to be in beautiful scenery without wanting to take a photo of something. But I'm like others. I take so many photos of land and seascapes around sunrise or sunset and sometimes I look at them all and (as much as I like many) I think I need to do something new and different. I mix it up with my pups, my beer bottle collection, macro shots of flowers, any animal I see in the wild etc, but I generally like nice scenery. Learning new things about my camera and photography continually inspires me to get out there and try new ways of taking the same ol' photos too.

I think as long as I'm outdoors and somewhere appealing, I find no lack of inspiration. But I definitely struggle for inspiration when I'm inside... unless my silly pups are doing something cute.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tannin View Post
    <harsh but true>

If you have to search for inspiration, you are looking in the wrong places.

You need to find out what it is that inspires you.

Hint: it needs to be something worthwhile, something with a power and beauty of its own, something subtle and variable, something that changes every day.

For me, birdlife does it. But so do most things in the natural world - flora, landscapes, the play of light on trees. You need to find your own subject, the subject that just keeps you going and going and never seems to get tired or jaded. If you can't find a subject that you care about that much, well, maybe photography is not for you.

If you aren't seeing something you like enough that you would walk around and look at it for hours even if you weren't holding a camera, you are in the wrong place.

</harsh but true>
    Great post. Definitely harsh but true. However for someone so new to photography, personally I am still trying to find that subject which gives me inspiration.

Not having many images under my belt means that I haven't yet found that subject, which is why I still shoot anything and everything, and is probably why it's so difficult for me to decide which lens I want to buy

I think with experience people find 'that subject' but for my skill and experience level, I am searching for that inspiration to simply get me up off the couch and start shooting.

That said, your post has really got me thinking for what it is that inspires me instead of simply waiting for it to jump out at me.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff79 View Post
    I often get tense when I am homebound because I don't find things to photograph that really speak to me. Which is why I sadly rarely take a photo during the week. That, and I work a 9 hour day that completely destroys any moment I might otherwise find to take a photo.

I am a man of nature and find it impossible to be in beautiful scenery without wanting to take a photo of something. But I'm like others. I take so many photos of land and seascapes around sunrise or sunset and sometimes I look at them all and (as much as I like many) I think I need to do something new and different. I mix it up with my pups, my beer bottle collection, macro shots of flowers, any animal I see in the wild etc, but I generally like nice scenery. Learning new things about my camera and photography continually inspires me to get out there and try new ways of taking the same ol' photos too.

I think as long as I'm outdoors and somewhere appealing, I find no lack of inspiration. But I definitely struggle for inspiration when I'm inside... unless my silly pups are doing something cute.
    I know exactly how you feel. Ever find yourself walking around your house with your camera, but just taking photos of the same old stuff? I do haha.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by enVision View Post
    Not having many images under my belt means that I haven't yet found that subject, which is why I still shoot anything and everything, and is probably why it's so difficult for me to decide which lens I want to buy
    Slight tangent here.

There's not much point in buying equipment until you've identified a problem that a given piece of equipment will solve.

In other words, define the problem and then invest in the appropriate solution rather than buying a solution and then trying to find a problem it solves.

To that end, if you're in a position whereby you shoot anything and everything, a general-purpose zoom is a good start.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like reading Aus Photography Mag, Capture or something similar. Sometimes though, when you browse these forums or the web, it can be a little bit intimidating rather than inspiring.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you're over-thinking it. Just go, and see what looks different through your lens. Get up high, lie on the ground, look around a corner you never do. And get snap happy
    Thanks for the warm welcome

Shooting only with a Fujifilm HS10 and a broken tripod... for now

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. Find one object / subject and photograph it as many different ways / from as many angles / etc as you can think of.
    2. Shoot mono only for a month
    3. Browse "recently updated" sites on pbase (or similar)
    4. Browse favourite forums of Ausphotography

Also, just having my camera with me, has me looking at the world with different eyes... so just taking it with me for the day and seeing what there is
    Cheers,
    Terri

Nikon D90 | Olympus XZ-1 | Nikkor 35mm f1.8 | Nikon 17-55mm f2.8 | Nikon 105mm f2.8 Micro | Nikon 50mm f1.4 | Nikon 18-105mm VR | Photoshop Element 7.0 | Manfrotto 190X

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck, I hope this works for you!!

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some really good advice in this thread, I have had a few times where I have felt like this. If you don't feel like taking photos then don't force yourself.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was hoping that when I started this thread, others may find it useful too. I agree and think there are many great ideas in here. Maybe not for those of us who are professional, but just something for us to get up and start shooting. You never know where that will take you I guess.
    Flickr
    Call me Chris

Gear: Canon 6D | Canon EF 24-105mm f4/L IS USM | Canon 430EX II Speedlite | Hoya Pro1 CPL | Velbon Tripod
    Canon EOS 500D | Canon 18-55mm IS (Kit Lens) | Canon 50-250mm IS (Kit Lens) | Marumi Super DHG CPL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find the mood I let my mood of the day take the photos Ive been trying so hard to take one decent photo of flowers but its getting frusting to say the least I also look around the internet and books if I see that wow factor it's the wow that makes me wanna try it today I am not going on my shoot because 1 I can't trust the rain not coming and 2 I am feeling a little tired and washed up but today I will be going out my front yard and seeing if I can freeze movement like you have been doing with your water falls but with cars living on the Princes Highway means there is lots of cars trucks so on for me to practice with I am not going near those flowers today I got this idea from a manual a friend sent me so now I want to try it as I am still on my L plates I wanna try new things I think we all have a little nitch some place sure most of will say Ill take photos of everything but is there something that you feel is your nitch Im still looking for mine flowers is prob not it flowers and defiantly not too day that is if I can control myself walking past them such beauty is there key for me I think
    All experts were once beginners

Nikon D3100 18 55 kit lens Nikon 35 mm Nikon 70 300mm optex tripod

MWAH! Sandy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tannin View Post

If you have to search for inspiration, you are looking in the wrong places.

You need to find out what it is that inspires you.
    Gotta agree with Tannin.

Who me?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tony (Tannin) makes a good point, but for those new to photography its not always obvious what a wonderful, varied world we live.
    Look thru some of the threads in the members 52 challenge and see how others see ordinary everyday objects.
    I know when I go out with the family I snap away, when we get home and put the images on the computer the wife and kids say "where did you see that" or " where was I when that happened"or "why didn't I see that" so alot of the inspiration is in the "seeing" as the term is described.
    May of us also go thru dry patches or loose our mojo in photography, one just has to keep working away until the eye, the brain and the camera start to work together again( i know I'm going through one of these patches at present)
    Want some ideas, pick a word and google Images and see how others have captured that word/object/scene.
    Keep at it, it will come together
    Cheers David.

Canon 40D/EF-S 17-85 mm IS/Kenko Extenson Tubes/Canon EF 50mm F/1.8 II (nifty fifty)
    Sigma 10-20mm 4-5.6 /Sigma 70-200/ Sigma 1.4 teleconverter/ some Conkin filters | Adobe Photoshop CS6

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dbax View Post
    Want some ideas, pick a word and google Images and see how others have captured that word/object/scene.
    Go to One Thing Two Days in Members Challenges and the word is picked for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Andrea
    in Sydney

Gear: Canon 5D MkII, Canon 40D, EF 24-70mm f2.8L USM, EF 50mm f1.8 II, EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM, EF 70-300 f4-5.6 IS USM
    Elinchrom D-lite it 4 To Go Kit
    Aperture 3, Photoshop CS5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive been in a bit of a slump lately, but yesterday I bought a new bolt to fix the leg on my manfrotto. and its full steam ahead again.
    Waiting on a train

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12