Gordon has a legitimate question which I think is more about consent than law. We have a number of properties in Brisbane's west that have been targets of theft and damage and in many cases neighbours and police have advised that the property was photographed prior to the crime. Local police reports acknowledge that this type of surveillance is common, however, the camera of choice is usually a stolen iPhone rather than a decent camera. (It's hard to upload shots instantly from a regular DSLR).
So when someone questions why you're taking a photo of their renovations, without prior consent (courtesy), you can understand their point of view.
Some of you may remember many months ago when I was photographing the arrival of the new RAAF Hornets from a hill in the local suburb when I was approached by a number of property owners asking my intentions (thought I was casing the joint with a 400mm lens). As the planes went overhead their fears were allayed. Whether you do it commercially or not is not relevant. It's simply a matter of communicating your intentions according to circumstance.