User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  51
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: RAW vs JPG

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    A bit of a tutorial on processing RAW files : http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...ssing-Tutorial
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by camerasnoop;
    Open Bridge. Right-click on the JPEG. Choose "Open in Camera RAW". Done. Retains settings in xmp file just like a RAW file. Snoopy
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    A bit of a tutorial on processing RAW files : http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...ssing-Tutorial
    Thanks Snoopy and Rick,

I just found member Brodies post with a movie showing how to do it. It was in the CAMERA RAW: Open a JPEG inside Camera RAW thread.

Rick yours was an excellent tutorial, thanks.

See! What things you get to learn by being a part of a forum such as this. You couldn't do much better being at TAFE!!!
    Last edited by Doninoz; 17-06-2011 at 9:18pm.
    DON - Teachable, always learning, always experimenting, just want to know everything I can about photography!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are definitely right there Don. You learn far quicker on here, than any TAFE course could offer. All you have to do is look, listen and learn, and if you are not sure "ASK"
    I was never good at school, couldn't be bothered going through the theory of education. But some of the teachers realised that I was a "see and do" type, and not a studier. So they would show me how to do stuff, and I'd pick it up.
    Although I had CS5 I didn't know anything about Camera Raw, until I went to get an image printed, and the bloke said "you could do this" and went click click click, got into ACR and darkened the clouds in the shot (at 100mph as the pro's do). It had me fasinated, so I went home and tried to emulate what he did from memory. I now use ACR all the time. Now I go for the video tutorials and pick up something new each time. All which can be found on here, and if not you only have to ask as you did in this thread.
    Great site, fantastic member base.
    Geoff
    Honesty is best policy.
    CC is always welcome
    Nikon D3000 ... Nikon D90... Nikon D700 Various lenses, Home studio equipment and all the associated stuff
    Flickr

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well after reading this thread before, I got home from work and set my camera to RAW.

A few friends convinced me to go to the Supanova convention over the weekend, and I took my camera with me. I got so many cool photos and had an absolute ball tuning them in Lightroom 3.4 I LOVE THAT PROGRAM!

Although, what I can't work out is how to save the modified files data from one computer to another, I did editing on my mates computer on Saturday night, and when I went and opened them on mine on Sunday night, none of the edits were there? The internet said something about an XMP file, but I see none

Decided to "shave" my signature ;]
    Now mostly shoots with: Canon 5D MK3 & Canon 24-70 f/2.8/50mm f/1.8 (also have a 550D with a variety of lenses/goodies and a Sony Nex-5N)
    PP with: Lightroom only, Photoshop is merely a 9-5 work tool for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's becuase lightroom aren't saved to the files themselves, they are stored in the lightroom catalogue (technically in sidecar of xmp files).....what you need to do is export your photos as a lightroom catalog and then import that catalog onto your machine and all will be sweet
    Last edited by kiwi; 20-06-2011 at 10:19am.
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oooh I see! Wonderful, thank you so much

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can use adobe dng converter to convert files to DNG format before processing. I think only benefit of these files is that all the edits made got saved in the same file. so you you never have to worry about copying both files.

another thing you can do is to use bridge's 'copy to' feature. when you right click any image it gives you option of copy and "copy to" . 'Copy to' copies xmp(settings) files as well.

Edit: I am not sure that you get adobe bridge with lightroom also.
    Last edited by colormeter; 20-06-2011 at 5:58pm.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nope, but Bridge came with Photoshop. I also have the Adobe CS4 Suite. I'm going to get CS5.5 soon, I like being up to date. But I have to fix a couple of things on my computer, as it carked it a couple of months ago, so I've been using other computers when I've had the chance

I might use the DNG converter, I like having everything in the one file as well as JPG copies. Less clutter, more space, less buying of stuff, etc.

The original settings are still stored too right? So no point doubling up if I don't have to means less space taken up!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you use LR there is zero need for DNG files

have you done my exposure tests yet ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I prefer RAW to JPEG due to the ability to edit non-destructively. Although I prefer to capture the essence of my images in-camera, I find RAW provides such greater freedom at the workflow end. I only ever shoot JPG if using my compact camera where I will not want to undertake any post-processing - happy snaps if you like. I also like DNG conversion so that I don't have those annoying xmp files hanging around needing to stick to the images...on the other side of the coin though it depends on what you are intending to do with the image. It is handy to note that a number of competitions want the image in JPEG (which you can easily create from a RAW file) but also want the RAW file as proof of ownership / copyright (e.g Wildlife Photographer of the Year comp). They also won't accept DNG files for this purpose, they specifically request the systems own version of RAW e.g. CR2 for Canon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katiedransfield View Post
    It is handy to note that a number of competitions want the image in JPEG (which you can easily create from a RAW file) but also want the RAW file as proof of ownership / copyright (e.g Wildlife Photographer of the Year comp). They also won't accept DNG files for this purpose, they specifically request the systems own version of RAW e.g. CR2 for Canon.
    That's because RAW files have the camera's serial number encoded into them!

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kiwi I haven't done my homework assignment yet, BUT I am shooting in raw now! You guys have converted me by explaining how much more effective raw is. Thread purpose = success.

I love Lightroom, and I love how dynamic things can be in the raw files, how much tuning I can do to the images.

Katie and Don! Thanks for that heads up with the competitions thing! I didn't know that the raw files have the camera serial number and stuff in that as well. That'll be handy in case anything goes down!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am a complete beginner to photography and have never used photoshop or anything like that so exuse me if this is a silly question.
    Going overseas soon, wanting to TRY and get great pictures, some to hopefully blow up fairly big to frame (if they're any good). I initially thought I'd have to shoot in RAW to be able to do this,but then I thought, I will be wanting to take many many many photos and seeing I'm only a beginner, would it be worth me shooting in RAW and using up so much memory space?

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebdrel3 View Post
    I will be wanting to take many many many photos and seeing I'm only a beginner, would it be worth me shooting in RAW and using up so much memory space?
    Yes, it will be worth it if you do the sensible things.
    Save the raw files as originals and don't delete them so that you always have an indestructible copy.
    Memory is cheap, take a spare hard drive with you or buy heaps of cards for your camera.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...would it be worth me shooting in RAW and using up so much memory space?
    You can buy a small digital storage device to take with you. I have one that has 80Gb of space. I just put my memory card in the slot and press copy. It has a small screen on it so I can also review the photos on the device. Most of them you can also print from...sort of like a mini computer if you like. Mine is a Epson P–6000 Multimedia Storage Viewer. Best investment I made! Hope this helps. Regards Don

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Holy crap, I just searched for pricing on that. $900?!

http://www.goodgearguide.com.au/revi.../p-6000/259886

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lucky I saw this thread then as I was going to shoot jpeg just for memory space! Yes I will have to invest in one of those thanks Doninoz
    HOPEFULLY I take can some half decent pics. Thanks guys

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doninoz View Post
    You can buy a small digital storage device to take with you. I have one that has 80Gb of space. I just put my memory card in the slot and press copy. It has a small screen on it so I can also review the photos on the device. Most of them you can also print from...sort of like a mini computer if you like. Mine is a Epson P–6000 Multimedia Storage Viewer. Best investment I made! Hope this helps. Regards Don

If you look on epson's website at the moment until 30th June they have a great special on these - over half price - I ALMOST bought one

In any case, I think they are great technology but to be honest a better investment would be an ipad or a mini laptop for the same price.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lucky I saw this thread then as I was going to shoot jpeg just for memory space! Yes I will have to invest in one of those thanks Doninoz
    HOPEFULLY I take can some half decent pics. Thanks guys
    with the cost of memory these days I think it's a non-issue

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes I did see that last night Kiwi and almost bought one too. Still thinking about it but with only 2 and a half months til our trip, I think the hubby may kill me if I don't put the money towards the actual trip lol

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast