Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Public Liability Insurance

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Public Liability Insurance

For those of you that are not just starting out, but aren't fully professional yet.. do you have insurance and public liability?

I have both. I'm covered for 10k with my equipment, and 5mil for P.L.I.

Just curious

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not full time but I won't take on any job unless covered against the unforseen. 10m PLI and equipment cover for $15k. Didn't want to take the risk of household insurance knocking back a claim because I was using the equipment to make money from.
    Vince

Space; The Final Frontier

C & C encouraged on all images

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're getting paid to be there, then you really should strongly consider PL insurance. Many places won't let you on site without a certain level of cover (though few actually check in my experience).

Equipment is your choice, as I don't have 25 grand lying around, I thought it a prudent choice. But then this is my job, if it wasn't, then I'm not sure I would.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Public liability insurance can work two ways. General coverage, paid annually or job specific and it all depends on what sort of work you are doing, where and when. For instance, if you're doing regular work, say $1k per week, then general PL insurance should be fine. If you're doing two gigs a year say at $25k each then specific PL insurance may be more beneficial. Don't forget that public liability insurance contracts are not blanket coverage but have lots of rules and regulations and conditions so don't assess a policy on price alone or you may get into more trouble than Speed Gordon.
    If you have a PL policy and it doesn't cover a specific event (and you thought it did) you can be sued for negligence if the damage is high enough.
    Equipment coverage is a separate issue.
    Photojournalist | Filmmaker | Writer | National Geographic | Royal Geographic

D3x and other gear.

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are in the mist of looking at getting PL insurance as we deal alot with newborn babies and want to cover ourselves. Where do most photographers get theri insurance from and what should you expect to pay?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Benno11 View Post
    We are in the mist of looking at getting PL insurance as we deal alot with newborn babies and want to cover ourselves. Where do most photographers get theri insurance from and what should you expect to pay?
    Most insurance companies offer PL insurance. Any comment on AP regarding particular companies cannot be taken as advise as it breaches the site rules. AP is not a registered insurance company/agent and specific advice about companies and policies could breach legislation in some states regarding provision of financial advice. So contact your insurance company and ask them.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use ppib
    Living the dream...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do you find PPIB? Reasonable cost? Are you covered for public liability?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I insure my gear currently to the value of about $30k, and have $10m liability... PL costs me around $450 and gear around $600 per yr.

I had to make a claim this year, for a laptop stolen from my car overnight. I had a new laptop within a week, no probs.
    Last edited by jasevk; 21-08-2011 at 8:33pm.