Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  73
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Calibration bar at the bottom of the page

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HI Rick,
    I agree with you 100%, and the calibration bar is a good quick approach for brightnees and contrast. All I'm saying is that I've spent a lot of time in the past trying to make sure my monitors were calibrated as well as I could get them (mainly becasue they have been on the cheaper end) with software tools that require you to adjust the gamma for each colour channel buy subjective callibration. Since I bought the Spyder - it's made it a lot easier.

In regard to your snipe about me not having posted any photos, here is a thread in which I posted photos: http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...OS-7D-High-ISO . Yes it's the only one; and these were probably before I got the Spyder anyway.

I don't get onto the forum very often and was planning on starting to posting some photos soon to get some feedback, but now I'm starting to feel unwelcome.
    Cheers,

Greg
    "Photography can be an extreme sport!"

Canon: 7D + BG-E7, 60D, 580EX, 24-105 L IS F4, 100-400mm L IS F4.5-5.6, EF 1.4x III
    Sigma: 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX, 18-200mm f3.5-6.3 DC OS.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GJC View Post
    HI Rick,
    I agree with you 100%, and the calibration bar is a good quick approach for brightnees and contrast. All I'm saying is that I've spent a lot of time in the past trying to make sure my monitors were calibrated as well as I could get them (mainly becasue they have been on the cheaper end) with software tools that require you to adjust the gamma for each colour channel buy subjective callibration. Since I bought the Spyder - it's made it a lot easier.

In regard to your snipe about me not having posted any photos, here is a thread in which I posted photos: http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...OS-7D-High-ISO . Yes it's the only one; and these were probably before I got the Spyder anyway.

I don't get onto the forum very often and was planning on starting to posting some photos soon to get some feedback, but now I'm starting to feel unwelcome.
    Whether you feel unwelcome or not is entirely up to you. but this is Ausphotography, not Ausphotogear and I was merely suggesting it would be good to see some of your photos, cause after 2 years of membership, I am sure you have a few keepers that you could share with us.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As we said in the trenches, "Thanks for the heads up". That means thank you for the information in normal talk.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First slip-up, should have thanked ricktas.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for info!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for that, it was a bit over exposed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Salisbury View Post
    Thanks for that, it was a bit over exposed.
    You mean the brightness may have been a tad high, Never heard of an over exposed Monitor , There's more to it than just the Calibration Bar at the bottom
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Great starting thread

Wonderful thread. but please be aware that if you are using a laptop the angle of the screen will make a difference.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger W View Post
    Wonderful thread. but please be aware that if you are using a laptop the angle of the screen will make a difference.
    Incorrect!

SOME laptops maybe, but not all. It depends on the type of screen your laptop has : http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...-photo-editing

There are bad monitors and there are great monitors, and these exists in both desktop and laptop monitors, but a blanket statement about using laptops can be misleading.
    Last edited by ricktas; 21-11-2011 at 8:00pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Question : Wondering what time of day and in what lighting do you Calibrate your Monitor, I do know that you dont have direct Sunlight on the screen Etc, More, Do you do it in the morning or Evening , I have my computor in a room with the Curtains drawn all day , But it can still get very bright in the morning with the low sun angle against the curtains , Or at night with a subdued light on ?? , I use a Spyder 3 Express , It does say watch for direct light on the screen , But up here the light during the day can really effect the colours on the screen , I dont want to Calibrate at a certain time of day , And then have to process at that time , Just wondering - Bill

PS : It's time for a recalibrate

PPS : I do mine monthly , I get the warning on the screen to recalibrate
    Last edited by William; 26-11-2011 at 4:46pm.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I calibrate mine in the light that I generally do my processing under. So afternoon and evening, for me. As you say William, the light in the room can change and this can affect the way us humans see the screen, though out eyes (and brains) are fairly good at auto-white-balance. We tend to know something is white, even if the light shining on it makes it look blue at the time.

My calibrator has an ambient light feature and during the calibration process it looks at the light in the room, and incorporates that into the profile it builds for my screen. So I always try and calibrate at the same time of day that I generally do my editing. Doing it monthly is good, for a variety of reasons, one of which is that as the light changes throughout the year, as we move from winter to summer, recalibrating regularly compensates for that.
    Last edited by ricktas; 26-11-2011 at 5:10pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rick, The reason I asked also was that I have the cheapy version , The "Express" Although it works fine , It does'nt have all the bells and whistles that the Elite and Pro versions have , Namely the Ambient light feature I guess I'll just go with a medion if I can get the lighting average , The only other way would be to Calibrate just before processing each time Most of my processing is done mid morning after a Early morning shoot , Maybe just calibrate then , Thanks mate for your reply I think this type of stuff should help members new to Calibration

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for this info!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for that, mine also was too bright, and I wasn't seeing the distinction at the white end. I wonder if anyone in the household will notice the changes?

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mac View Post
    Thanks for that, mine also was too bright, and I wasn't seeing the distinction at the white end. I wonder if anyone in the household will notice the changes?
    (Jeepers! What peepers, Phil Mac.)
    Next Q: Where'd you get 'em?
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Woohoo.
    My daughter destroying my old laptop, and my having to get a new one, means that I now have a monitor that shows ALL of the seperate shades on the calibration bar at the bottom. My previous laptop joined the last two (can't remember if it was the last two black, or last two white, but either way it wasn't ideal).
    Canon EOS 60D ..... EFS 18-200mm f/3.5 - 5.6 IS - 430 EXII Speedlite - "eBay special" Remote Control Unit - Manfrotto 190XPROB w 804RC2 head.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a Spyder4 Elite for my calibration. Invaluable when one has multiple computers and monitors!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Calibration looks good, Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for that, never realised the monitor was out!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very bright right hand side and very dark left hand side. That is my one.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast