Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  56
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Photographers need to be fit - how do you keep fit

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most of my sports and hobbies like waterskiing, Vintage moto-x or hiking up mountain streams to secluded fishing spots keep me quite active without dedicating a seperate activity to it. Fitness is still quite good, but being closer to 50 than 40 it's important to stay ontop of flexibility as well. Was reluctantly introduced to Yoga a while back, I first passed it off as a bit hairy fairy, but then it bit me and was going once, sometimes twice a week for the last 5 years. Have recently got back into it after 6mths without it after a recent accident, so playing a bit of a catch up at the moment and paying the price..

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are many jobs that require fitness levels or health checks.
    Even train drivers, train controllers etc. have to meet certain fitness levels (safety critical jobs).
    Fire fighters, soldiers, life guards also have fitness requirements.

Requiring a fitness level for wedding or fashion photography and even some other commercial photography makes complete reasonable sense.
    I.e. mobility and the ability to get to the right level (eg. squatting, or even lying on the ground to get an angle, climbing ladders, lumping gear around (lighting etc)) is reasonable part of a job description.
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love to lie down to take pics

Except when people think you are sick and injured like when I was lting down to get a different perspective for a shot

It did show me that there is still some humanity and caring in a more indifferent world
    Cartel Imagery
    Flickr

Nikon D7000
    Sony a65
    Canon 5D MKII

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was intending to stay out of this but...

The silliness of this thread is becoming ridiculous and quite disingenuous.

The OP said it was important to keep fit in order to be a photographer (I understand it was just a discussion starter - no prob with that): correct me if I am wrong but, the vast majority of people would define 'keep fit' as more than the simple act of being able to lie on the floor (then get up), kneel and squat. I am sure that a reasonable person would describe physical fitness as far more than being physically able to perform basic bodily movements.

As someone who has recently had a physical disability suddenly manifest itself, I do not consider myself unfit to work. I am a little slower than I used to be but, I am still able to do my job. Not that I want to but, I could easily do a wedding. In fact, when I was far more impaired than now, I shot a school formal quite successfully - keeping up with 180 x 18 year olds for 6 hours. All without being able to complete a triathlon in Olympic time.

Recently, my employer tried to prevent me from undertaking certain duties on OHS grounds - my union fought on my behalf. It was determined that the fact I can not longer achieve a full sprint or carry certain heavy objects (an old fashioned CRT TV) etc was not relevant. That whilst some in my profession may at times do these tasks, it is not a fundamental requirement of that job (it is for a fire fighter for eg).

The assertion that one must retain a near military grade of fitness to photograph a wedding is utterly absurd. School teachers have to do just as much (if not more) shuffling around, organizing bodies etc than a wedding photographer.

In my case, it wad determined that arbitrary requirements could not be imposed - that the requirements had to be reasonable and relevant. Same would apply for a wedding photographer. Requiring your tog to run a sub 10 sec 100 metres or bench press a small car is totally irrelevant to the job. If you were photographing military exercises, maybe military fitness is relevant - a wedding: good luck convincing a tribunal etc on that.

Simply, to impose such requirements, I believe, is to be actively seeking to discriminate against the disabled and those who are getting on in years. Also, one day, like me, you may be struck with a 'prior condition' you didn't see coming and one day may not be counted as one of the physically elite. Even if not, if you are lucky, you'll get old and your knees will wear out (from all those marathons)

Sure, it may be relevant to exclude someone who is incapable of kneeling to take a shot but, when the OP said maintain fitness, he didn't mean that - to say otherwise, I believe is incorrect.

Scotty
    Canon 7D : Canon EF 70-200mm f:2.8 L IS II USM - Canon EF 24-105 f:4 L IS USM - Canon EF 50mm f:1.8 - Canon EF-s 18-55mm f:3.5-5.6
    Sigma APO 150-500mm f:5-6.3 DG OS HSM
    - Sigma 10-20mm f:3.5 EX DC HSM
    Speedlite 580 EX II - Nissin Di866 II - Yongnuo 460-II x2 - Kenko extension tube set - Canon Extender EF 1.4x II
    Manfroto monopod - SILK 700DX Pro tripod - Remote release - Cokin Z-Pro filter box + Various filters

Current Social Experiment: CAPRIL - Wearing a cape for the month of April to support Beyond Blue
    Visit me on Flickr

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One might like to note that under Australian anti-discrimination legislation, an employer is obliged to make reasonable accommodation for someone with a disability to do a job.

Read it!
    Cheers

PeterB666

Olympus Pen F with Metabones Speed Booster and Laowa 12mm f/2.8 or Voigtlander 10.5mm f/0.95 or Nikon D800 with the Laowa 12mm f/2.8. The need to keep in touch with the past is a Nikon Photomic FTn or Nikon F2A and a Nikkor 25-50mm f/4 AI

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe the fitness level requirement for being a professional photographer should be equal too(or greater) than the photography brief itself!

That is, if you're required to shoot a series of military exercises, then obviously you should be at least as fit as the average military person, although some of the higher end military persons I've seen don't appear to be any fitter than your average pizza shop owner.. but I digress.
    If your job entails shooting weddings, then all that should be required of you in terms of fitness would be that of the average wedding guest, which at the last wedding I'd attended was approximately the same level as the average pizza shop owner!

I think this mindset of military conditioning(both mental and physical) is a just a tad past the point of ridiculousness.
    There are, and have been, far too many successful photographers in all walks of life that have none of this type of training!

What each person requires of their employees and partners is only for them to decide, and the notion of discrimination should have never entered into this thread.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Formerly known as : ColdBlood :
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I go to the gym... do weights. *photo of Arni here*
    also, 20 minutes walk from the bus stop to the office - so 40 minutes walking per day
    Nikon D750, Tamron 15-30, Nikkor 70-300 VR2
    https://antongorlin.com
    Real Estate Photography

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty72 View Post

(snip)

Recently, my employer tried to prevent me from undertaking certain duties on OHS grounds

(snip)
    You seem to be under the illusion that OHS is there to protect the worker, where it is rather there to protect the employer from being the brunt of workers compensation claims, court cases, legal fees, in my opinion! Your boss would have told you to not do certain duties, not out of compassion for you, but rather concern for his insurance policy, possible costs and liability if you did injure yourself doing those duties.
    Last edited by ricktas; 14-06-2011 at 8:00am.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ride my pushbike EVERY day. Love it.
    Cheers, Paul.
    Canon 50D w BG l Nifty Fifty l Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 l Sigma 24-70 f2.8 l EF 100mm f2.8 USM Macro l EF 300 f4L IS USM l EF 1.4X ll TC l 430EXII l Vanguard Alto Pro 263 w BH100 l Manfrotto 680B w 234RC l Lowepro Bags.l Sigma EM-140 Ring Flash.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scotty
    Six replies to date is staying out of it ?

Well it was just a question about what people do to keep fit, based on my own personal opinion ?

The assertion that one must retain a near military grade of fitness to photograph a wedding is utterly absurd. School teachers have to do just as much (if not more) shuffling around, organizing bodies etc than a wedding photographer.
    Well I didnt say that, and nor have I read that here - and no offence but when did this become about other careers ? Its related to being able, physically able to move, run, kneel, and climb (as I regularly have to) in order for me to complete my day to day job as a photographer.

Sure, it may be relevant to exclude someone who is incapable of kneeling to take a shot but, when the OP said maintain fitness, he didn't mean that - to say otherwise, I believe is incorrect.

Scotty
    I think I understand what I meant a great deal more than you.

I speak from a position of being a full time photographer, in reality my questions, comments and opinions are going to be based on just that. Miss a shot and you miss a job, its really that brutal - which means you're not fit for the role any longer. And I dont employ anyone other than myself. That brutality is a self assessment.

And again in my position I dont have the luxury of a OHS assessment from my employer because I am my employer, and if I cant cut it I lose the work.

And unfortunately I lost a post yesterday after I'd written it, and in that I explain how much gear I regularly move around and use during a typical shoot.

Today my car is packed with the following approximately 25 kilos of camera bags, plus approximately 55 kilos of lighting gear Bron heads & packs, Bron minipulses, and approx 20 kilos of lighting stands, tripod and associated stuff. I'd estimate that I have to set up and pull down the equipment many times during todays shoot. Its a physical job. And to protect myself from injuries, ones that I can avoid, then the best way of doing that In MY Opinion, is to remain active, and to exercise myself to a level of fitness that I'm comfortable with.

I didnt think my question would ellicit such a furore.

I was simply interested in what other people do to keep fit or perhaps I should have used the word exercise ?

So back to the topic, I'm just about to take my dog for a run before the long day starts
    William

www.longshots.com.au

I am the PhotoWatchDog

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think anyone is suggesting 'military grade' fitness, but clearly in some photographic assignments a level of fitness is required,
    and when required it is not unreasonable to make that a condition of employment.

For the enthusiast an example: don't try climbing a mountain to get a shot unless you can handle the conditions. Safety first!

It's all common sense.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your job entails shooting weddings, then all that should be required of you in terms of fitness would be that of the average wedding guest, which at the last wedding I'd attended was approximately the same level as the average pizza shop owner!

Yeah, but no. Try doing weddings full time and tell me how you feel after a few months. Read the above post by Longshot. His 'luggage' is not that much difference to what myself and others carry in their car for a day's work, be it commercial or weddings etc.

I can say fairly in a summary of this thread is that those that engage in photographic activities that require a level of physical and mental stamina/endurance/fitness value the advantages of being fit both of body and mind. Those that have never been exposed to it or felt the need for it would see it differently, and argue otherwise.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember when I was in high school we had to fill in a questionnaire that was supposed to tell us what occupations we would be suited too in later life. One of the questions was 'do you consider yourself physically fit'. I wrote 'no' because I wasn't a gym rat or big into sports or anything...until everyone laughed at me; because of course I was! The purpose was not to see if I could run a marathon but more wether I could do mild manual labour, that's all.

I think with all these fitness programs and stuff in the media at the moment people expect 'fit' to mean much more than it really does...and squatting or laying down many times a day whilst carrying 50kg of gear can be intensive. I used to shoot news stories in the middle east and carrying a 20kg BetaSP machine and sound gear whilst dodging IEDs soon keeps you fit I can tell you! lol

Incidentally, I do realize that job is out of the norm; just another example that not all togs have the luxury of little gear and lots of time. Some of my friends film 'The Amazing Race' now they are fit!!
    Andy

Nikon D7000, 70-200mm (newly obtained...no pictures up shot with it yet)
    Olympus E-420, 14-42mm, 18-180mm, 70-300mm f/3.5-5.6 (shutter has died on this one )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Longshots,

I did say that I had no problem with your topic - I guess you missed that part. I disagree with you but, have never said you should not hold your view. I do have an issue (and so too does the law) with employers who use fitness as an arbitrary excuse for which to discriminate against the disabled or aged.

The military grade fitness comments were also not directed at you, rather at someone who did imply this.

I intended to stay out of it from last night, when I attempted to task someone to task over what I believed was an attack on the disabled. A moderator chose to remove my post...

Like it or not; like the disabled or not (it is clear that many do wish they would 'go away': there are laws against discrimination.

@Rick, I am under no dis-illusion as to whom the OHS laws are designed to protect. I am also aware of the need for discrimination laws that protect workers from employers who try to use OHS as an excuse to discriminate.

I have been / continue to be a the very pointy end of this - a supervisor who has tried to use the fact I am now less mobile to restrict my duties and change the conditions under which I am employed when my condition has no bearing on my ability to do my work. Simply, my supervisor, just wished to not have to deal with it.

And Peter is 100% correct. An employer is REQUIRED to take all reasonable steps to accommodate a worker / client / contractor etc. with a disability. Simply saying the disabled will make it more difficult / make me feel bad because I have to look at them / cost me money / do not fit into our elitist image is no longer an excuse.

My advice : get used to it or stop being an employer. This is no longer a Dickensian style industrial system.

Scotty

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kafter244 View Post
    I remember when I was in high school we had to fill in a questionnaire that was supposed to tell us what occupations we would be suited too in later life. One of the questions was 'do you consider yourself physically fit'. I wrote 'no' because I wasn't a gym rat or big into sports or anything...until everyone laughed at me; because of course I was! The purpose was not to see if I could run a marathon but more wether I could do mild manual labour, that's all.

I think with all these fitness programs and stuff in the media at the moment people expect 'fit' to mean much more than it really does...and squatting or laying down many times a day whilst carrying 50kg of gear can be intensive. I used to shoot news stories in the middle east and carrying a 20kg BetaSP machine and sound gear whilst dodging IEDs soon keeps you fit I can tell you! lol

Incidentally, I do realize that job is out of the norm; just another example that not all togs have the luxury of little gear and lots of time. Some of my friends film 'The Amazing Race' now they are fit!!
    I agree.

But, my rant was aimed at a wedding photographer.

In all the weddings I have attended, I've never seen the togs jump over 10 ft walls, wade through swamps etc. whilst carrying 50kg packpacks.

Maybe at an Al-Qaeda wedding?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not fit at all. I can manage weddings OK, but it's very taxing where it's a whole day thing....if i was fit could I do them better ? Well, yes, maybe so...there's lots of factors that go into making anything better though so this is just one of them.

I think shooting sport's another thing, there are plenty of fit young photographers who sprint up and down the sidelines follwoing the play, whereas I prefer a more leisurely pace. I dont get the same number of shots, but, they dont get the same shots as me either, so, swings and roundabouts. Carrying two bodies inclusing a 400 2.8 and 70-200 plus bits on a belt is hard work. After a long day at a carnival etc you certainly feel it - If I was adonis it would be for sure easier but I dont think it makes me any less a photographer really

Interesting thread though
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by peterb666 View Post
    The most avid fitness fanatics I know are all having knee operations, back problems and are into substance abuse. I think it is better to be healthy and fit enough to enjoy life rather than make fitness an obsession.
    True, moderation goes a long way, but to give you everday person type examples (eg not super athletes getting ACLs done and other overuse injuries) - I run a clinic assessing fitness for surgery in people about to undergo orthopaedic procedures (eg joint replacements) - nearly all (about 80-90%) of these patients are overweight. Weight is a big factor in the chances of developing all sorts of health nasties in the future other than osteoarthritis!

As for needing to keep fit for photography - it certainly allows you to access places as a landscape photographer that you might not otherwise consider (take Michael aka mickeymoo for example and his pictures of the southwest national park in tassie).

I eat horribly but fortunately for me, the exercise keeps the weight in check (along with some genes no doubt). An hour a day of intense exercise is what keeps me going (10-15k run , non stop heavy bag workout, hill running and cycling etc). I don't have too much time on my hands so my theory is to cram it all in that one hour without causing injury!) - it is an addiction to some degree - I feel like a slug on the rare days I'm not exercising. the horrible eating however, has destroyed my teeth
    Call me Dylan! www.everlookphotography.com | www.everlookphotography.wordpress.com | www.flickr.com/photos/dmtoh
    Canon EOS R5, : 16-35mm F4 L, 70-200F4 canon L, 24-70mm 2.8IIcanon L, Sirui tripod + K20D ballhead + RRS ballhead. |Sony A7r2 + Laowa 12mm F2.8, Nisi 15mm F4
    Various NiSi systems : Currently using switch filter and predominantly 6 stop ND, 10 stop ND, 3 stop medium GND
    Post : Adobe lightroom classic CC : Photoshop CC. Various actions for processing and web export

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scotty I didnt miss your first point, but then you appeared to be reestablishing what you originally said ?

Back to the topic- this was me asking about how people exercise.

If you think you should have a topic about the laws of discrimination against disabled then please start a separate topic. On that issue I dont disagree with you.

And most photographers I know dont employ other photographers.

And FWIW, I had to find a new career because I "broke" my back when I was 30. And since then I've had 6 operations on various other parts of my ageing body, all due from that initial career Keeping fit is one way of keeping my ageing body from breaking down any more than it already has

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree.

But, my rant was aimed at a wedding photographer.

In all the weddings I have attended, I've never seen the togs jump over 10 ft walls, wade through swamps etc. whilst carrying 50kg packpacks.

Maybe at an Al-Qaeda wedding?

Now why oh why would we need to jump 10 foot walls or wade through swamps, thats just dirty for the bride! Seeing as you keep arguing otherwise, I'll put up some photo samples.

We do need to maintain a level of stamina to be able to carry a lot of things in all environments. Examples from an average day of wedding work for me, and commercial stuff. When you are working with me or for me, one needs to be able to do a lot of things. Walking in snow for example, to do a pre-wedding shoot requires a degree of fitness. But the photos below are nothing compared to what some other photographers and videographers on here go through

Last edited by JM Tran; 14-06-2011 at 11:35am.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont think a simple click on a thanks is enough - so Thank you for showing the images.

I keep wondering how a simple question has turned into such a debate

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast