Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  56
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Photographers need to be fit - how do you keep fit

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do weight training - I lift my camera bag.
    Cheers

PeterB666

Olympus Pen F with Metabones Speed Booster and Laowa 12mm f/2.8 or Voigtlander 10.5mm f/0.95 or Nikon D800 with the Laowa 12mm f/2.8. The need to keep in touch with the past is a Nikon Photomic FTn or Nikon F2A and a Nikkor 25-50mm f/4 AI

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty72 View Post
    Why does one NEED to be fit to be a photographer?

Certain types, yes... If you are photographing lions on the jungle, it probably pays to be able to run fast and long.

But, if you are photographing birds from a bird hide, sitting with cold beer, why is fitness an imperative?

Other than it's generally better to be moderately fit than not.
    ummm, I'll let u think about that one more before others will answer why it pays to be fit, not just in photography but in life and the work place.

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JM Tran View Post
    ummm, I'll let u think about that one more before others will answer why it pays to be fit, not just in photography but in life and the work place.
    The most avid fitness fanatics I know are all having knee operations, back problems and are into substance abuse. I think it is better to be healthy and fit enough to enjoy life rather than make fitness an obsession.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I shot a wedding in Melbourne two weeks ago... I was shot at the end of the day.
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you read the last line of my earlier post before you put your foot in your mouth? Or did you do it in spite of reading my qualification. Of course, it is better to be moderately fit than a slough.

But the premise of this thread is, 'its [sic] important to keep fit as a photographer'.

Quite a leading question, isn't it? A little bit like, "So, when did you stop bashing your wife?"

Not, 'It's important to keep fit, in general.'

Why do photographers, especially, need to keep fit?

Scotty

PS. I agree with Peter: I know some very unhealthy fitness freaks.
    Canon 7D : Canon EF 70-200mm f:2.8 L IS II USM - Canon EF 24-105 f:4 L IS USM - Canon EF 50mm f:1.8 - Canon EF-s 18-55mm f:3.5-5.6
    Sigma APO 150-500mm f:5-6.3 DG OS HSM
    - Sigma 10-20mm f:3.5 EX DC HSM
    Speedlite 580 EX II - Nissin Di866 II - Yongnuo 460-II x2 - Kenko extension tube set - Canon Extender EF 1.4x II
    Manfroto monopod - SILK 700DX Pro tripod - Remote release - Cokin Z-Pro filter box + Various filters

Current Social Experiment: CAPRIL - Wearing a cape for the month of April to support Beyond Blue
    Visit me on Flickr

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why does one NEED to be fit to be a photographer?
    Easy, if you ( being the generic photographer) are out in the thick of it doggedly pursuing subjects in the relentless quest for the ultimate street photograph of young ladies that appeal to you combined with the chance of a cup of coffee and a chat, one must surely need a certain level of stamina or fitness.

And maybe, just maybe, if you are fit and look that way the young ladies at the centre of your attention might even say yes.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I @ M View Post
    Easy, if you ( being the generic photographer) are out in the thick of it doggedly pursuing subjects in the relentless quest for the ultimate street photograph of young ladies that appeal to you combined with the chance of a cup of coffee and a chat, one must surely need a certain level of stamina or fitness.

And maybe, just maybe, if you are fit and look that way the young ladies at the centre of your attention might even say yes.
    Well, since I developed my medical probs 2 years ago, I went from cycling about 250 km a week on average (pretty fit) to someone who is rather unfit (I struggle to maintain >30 km/h for 5 kms these days).

Still, if you look at my 'people I meet' thread of late last year, I still do ok

Then again, being as ugly as a hatful... , I've always had to rely on my charm

Scotty

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am the unfittest guy I know but I love to go for a walk and my camera comes with me improving my fitness looking for new place to shoot
    Cartel Imagery
    Flickr

Nikon D7000
    Sony a65
    Canon 5D MKII

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mechawombat View Post
    I am the unfittest guy I know
    Sorry, gotta disagree with you on that one.

I even hired an assistant to push the "talk to order" buttons in the drive thru at maccas.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you read the last line of my earlier post before you put your foot in your mouth? Or did you do it in spite of reading my qualification. Of course, it is better to be moderately fit than a slough.

But the premise of this thread is, 'its [sic] important to keep fit as a photographer'.

Quite a leading question, isn't it? A little bit like, "So, when did you stop bashing your wife?"

Not, 'It's important to keep fit, in general.'

Why do photographers, especially, need to keep fit?

Scotty

PS. I agree with Peter: I know some very unhealthy fitness freaks.
    Nope, I read it.

So let me tell you why its important to be healthy and fit, you dont need to be a fitness fanatic

1. Decent fitness promotes less fatigue
    2. Less fatigue will hamper less on your endurance/stamina - crucial for a long day of photography be it wedding or sports or wildlife, from pros to amateurs
    3. Fatigue leads to poorer decision making and less willingness to pursue the crucial shots
    4. Physical endurance leads to better attributes, such as less hand shaking thus preventing less camera blur, not everyone has IS
    5. For professionals, sweating like a pig and panting during a wedding shoot is embarrassing for your business image
    6. Being less fatigued means being able to communicate with your peers, surroundings, clients etc better. Communications is the most important thing for a pro.
    7. A million other reasons.

I come from a military background before doing photography full time. As an officer, and as a whole - we stress the importance of being fit so we last longer, and able to make decisions without fatigue clouding our thoughts and decision making - when you are tired and weary you do not think straight, full stop. You dont need to be at a level like the SAS or triathlete.

It is an important factors for professionals in photography to consider, especially those that shoot a few times a week like myself.

If you cannot acknowledge the reasons why it pays to be fit, and why I dont work with unfit people - then that to me, is a lack of foresight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll say it once more.

All of that applies to life in general... almost any job or hobby (even an elevator driver). They are not peculiar to photography.

OK?

Don't waste your bait, I'm done biting when it is utterly tasteless.

Nope, I read it.

So let me tell you why its important to be healthy and fit, you dont need to be a fitness fanatic

1. Decent fitness promotes less fatigue
    2. Less fatigue will hamper less on your endurance/stamina - crucial for a long day of photography be it wedding or sports or wildlife, from pros to amateurs
    3. Fatigue leads to poorer decision making and less willingness to pursue the crucial shots
    4. Physical endurance leads to better attributes, such as less hand shaking thus preventing less camera blur, not everyone has IS
    5. For professionals, sweating like a pig and panting during a wedding shoot is embarrassing for your business image
    6. Being less fatigued means being able to communicate with your peers, surroundings, clients etc better. Communications is the most important thing for a pro.
    7. A million other reasons.

I come from a military background before doing photography full time. As an officer, and as a whole - we stress the importance of being fit so we last longer, and able to make decisions without fatigue clouding our thoughts and decision making - when you are tired and weary you do not think straight, full stop. You dont need to be at a level like the SAS or triathlete.

It is an important factors for professionals in photography to consider, especially those that shoot a few times a week like myself.

If you cannot acknowledge the reasons why it pays to be fit, and why I dont work with unfit people - then that to me, is a lack of foresight.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By the way - I didnt think I'd asked a leading question.

What I posted was my opinion, and then simply asked what people did to keep fit ? The level of fitness wasnt my point It was more a simple question to see what people did in terms of seeking the variety of differences.

As one who grew up being fit by almost accident as an off shoot of my previous career, it then became - as I said previously - an addiction (which is quite understandable as the endorphins increase produced from physical exertion is really addictive). So again, as I said, I missed that. Hence taking up some different types of endorphin producing exercise.

Sure you dont need to be super fit, but you do need to be averagely fit. If for no other reason, to make sure you dont slip a disc picking up your camera bag.\! And, I hate to admit it, but the older you get, the more important it is to work pro-actively against injury; and the best way to do that is (perhaps unfortunately) exercise.
    William

www.longshots.com.au

I am the PhotoWatchDog

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol classic thread - photography is like golf, plenty of fit ones and plenty of fat ones and strangely enough there is little correlation between between being good and being fit. John Daley comes to mind...

why I dont work with unfit people - then that to me, is a lack of foresight.
    thats a bit rough, thats bit like me saying I don't work with people shorter than me cause they are beneath me. How do you determine whether someone is fit or not? fitness comes in many different levels and facets, plenty of gym junkies I know could not even run 5km on the other hand plenty of cyclists i know could not do a set with the tricep curl (for example). I can't run a few kilometres but can swim 4km nonstop... the list goes on
    Some Nikon stuff... gerrys photo journey
    https://plus.google.com/+GerardBlacklock
    No amount of processing will fix bad composition - trust me i have tried.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Longshots View Post
    By the way - I didnt think I'd asked a leading question.

What I posted was my opinion, and then simply asked what people did to keep fit ? The level of fitness wasnt my point It was more a simple question to see what people did in terms of seeking the variety of differences.

As one who grew up being fit by almost accident as an off shoot of my previous career, it then became - as I said previously - an addiction (which is quite understandable as the endorphins increase produced from physical exertion is really addictive). So again, as I said, I missed that. Hence taking up some different types of endorphin producing exercise.

Sure you dont need to be super fit, but you do need to be averagely fit. If for no other reason, to make sure you dont slip a disc picking up your camera bag.\! And, I hate to admit it, but the older you get, the more important it is to work pro-actively against injury; and the best way to do that is (perhaps unfortunately) exercise.
    Apologies for the leading question thing

Glad you don't agree that you have to be a navy seal in order to shoot a sea-scape.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gerry View Post
    lol classic thread - photography is like golf, plenty of fit ones and plenty of fat ones and strangely enough there is little correlation between between being good and being fit. John Daley comes to mind...

thats a bit rough, thats bit like me saying I don't work with people shorter than me cause they are beneath me. How do you determine whether someone is fit or not? fitness comes in many different levels and facets, plenty of gym junkies I know could not even run 5km on the other hand plenty of cyclists i know could not do a set with the tricep curl (for example). I can't run a few kilometres but can swim 4km nonstop... the list goes on
    Mental fitness/endurance also Gerry.

I prefer working with people who can handle pressure whilst being fatigued after a long day, and do not have any prior conditions or injuries. When you are working for me you are pretty much under my OHS policies. I need my guys to be on the ball the whole time and think straight and make good decisions. Things like wedding only happen once for most people and I cannot afford to have someone slip up, or quit as they are too tired, or sore, or pull some muscle, or a heart attack or something more serious.

This is not be being rough or prejudiced, its for the sake of the paying client, at the end of the day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I came into photography through my love of the outdoors so it helps that I want to shoot when I go hiking, rock climbing, kayaking or sailing. Alas I've had little time to do such things this last year so my shoots have been closer to home, but I still keep fit in the indoor rock wall *ahem* sometimes :/ ...and eat healthily.

Great topic I have a regular argument with my friends over snooker/pool players needing to be fit; they always baulk at my suggestion but as JMTran says; it pays off mentally as well as physically...a dy at the table may not require the physique of an athlete, but it dies require the stamina...I think some photo disciplines can be the same...and some not of course!
    Andy

Nikon D7000, 70-200mm (newly obtained...no pictures up shot with it yet)
    Olympus E-420, 14-42mm, 18-180mm, 70-300mm f/3.5-5.6 (shutter has died on this one )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    add me to the "have to be navy seal to shoot seascape/landscape" group. I think fitness - along with the mental and physical stamina, balance and flexibility, speed, and strength that come with it, have all played a part at one stage or other during my photography both for clients and self. Just for eg, i climb/hike up and down cliffs that others don't/can't because i'm quite confident in my abilities. I had my brother with me (was not into fitness at the time - is now) while climbing mount Roland in Tassie, 1230 odd metres altitude in 6-7 hours up and 5-6 hours down with 15kg of camera gear (He never made it all the way up) Recently I also had a king wave chase me up a granite boulder, all i had time to do was pick up tripod and run, my fitness definitely saved me from a worse fate. of course in my studio work fitness is definitely less important but i did say seascape/landscape photographer. love mountain biking and gym
    Last edited by zollo; 13-06-2011 at 10:10pm.
    Successful People Make Adjustments - Evander Holyfield

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by triptych View Post
    How do u find the time to get in 2-3 times a day Ms Monny?
    Yeah, I am a super-freak and go to the gym 3 times a day! You should see me....ripped and buff!

No, actually, 2 - 3 times a WEEK is what I do. Saying that, we went for a walk through a National Park today and because my fitness has plummeted, I struggled to walk up the big hills....and I know if I want to get out and do landscape photography I NEED to be fit to get to the places that I want to photograph!!
    Monika
    Equipment: Canon 60D, Nikon FE, Nikkor 50mm 1.8 lens, Fancier FT-662A tripod, 18-55mm kit lens, 55-250mm kit lens, 30mm 1.4 Sigma lens, LR4, PS Elements
    Check out my Flickr photos ... http://www.flickr.com/photos/missmonny/
    ... and then you can like me on www.facebook.com/PhotoByMB or see my shop on http://www.redbubble.com/people/msmonny

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mechawombat View Post
    I am the unfittest guy I know but I love to go for a walk and my camera comes with me improving my fitness looking for new place to shoot
    Quote Originally Posted by I @ M View Post
    Sorry, gotta disagree with you on that one.

I even hired an assistant to push the "talk to order" buttons in the drive thru at maccas.
    It is good to know there are others with similar levels of fitness to me. I know Scotty well and most of the time I would say he is fitter than me but alas not lately. Regardless of your level of fitness, you can take great photos. Likewise the fittest in the world can take terrible photos.

Last year when I had quite bad asthma during winter, I went on a number of moderately challenging (for me) excursions including the Devil's Cauldron and Minnamurra Falls. On both occasions, I was succumb by minor bouts of asthma. On both occasions there were other photographers who kept an eye out for me and helped me. It was a crook year and the worst for decades but my photography got better.

There certainly are some niches where of photography I will never be able to do due to my levels of fitness but it doesn't stop me trying and it is rare that it is a real impediment. I certainly will never have the time to do all that I want even without those niches.

Despite my levels of fitness, I have far fewer sick days at work and fail to attend far fewer photographic excursions than most I know. This is because while I am unfit, I am fairly healthy and an ailment that I have had for around 50 years has never beaten me. I would say that I am mentally fit.

It is all very nice to expect people to run 50km a day and cycle another 100 then lift the weight of a small car but not everyone can be Charles Atlas. While there are plenty out there that spend hours each day being mega-fit, well I am taking photos and that is what keeps me happy. Oh, and I enjoy the younger women just as much as Adonis with a camera.

Each to his or her own - I will continue taking photos and enjoying the process and the people I have met while doing so.
    Last edited by peterb666; 13-06-2011 at 10:34pm.

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd like to say sex......but I'd be fibbing.

Most likely the fittest muscles in my body would be my jaw muscles, so I'll say eating!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast