Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  56
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Photographers need to be fit - how do you keep fit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Photographers need to be fit - how do you keep fit

I've found that its important to keep fit as a photographer.

Out of curiosity I was interested to know what others do to stay fit ?
    William

www.longshots.com.au

I am the PhotoWatchDog

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Eat sensibly and in moderation. Play 11 a side soccer twice a week and cycle.
    You can call me Jez

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Walk , And same as Flame, No Junk food, At all ! , I'm lucky enought to live pretty well close to everything I need, Not unusual not to drive the car for 5 days, Fuel bill is around $10 a fortnight, Climbing rocky, slippery , sharp headlands in the dark also tests the leg muscles at tad
    Last edited by William; 12-06-2011 at 1:14pm.
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Exercising three border collies twice a day, and photographing dogs and kids...guaranteed to keep me on my toes.
    Can't claim to be very good about the food and wine side of things though....

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I press the shutter button.
    Cheers

PeterB666

Olympus Pen F with Metabones Speed Booster and Laowa 12mm f/2.8 or Voigtlander 10.5mm f/0.95 or Nikon D800 with the Laowa 12mm f/2.8. The need to keep in touch with the past is a Nikon Photomic FTn or Nikon F2A and a Nikkor 25-50mm f/4 AI

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont stay fit for photography per se, but for other things I do. Other than doing a few more weights after getting the 400.
    1DIII, 5DII, 15mm fish, 24mm ts-e, 35L,135L,200L,400L,mpe-65mm
    Film: eos 300, pentax 6x7

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Recliner crunches and tinny curls mostly, that keeps me in nice shape (round is a nice shape isn't it).
    Canon 50D - Zuiko 28/2.8 50/1.8 100/2.8 - Tokina 11-16/2.8

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    eat sensibly and walk instead of driving whenever possible and load more camera gear into your bag than you need and go the long way to take photos
    Steve

Equipment: A couple of Canons with some lenses and a heap of enthusiasm

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    cycling, not as much as I used to. Walking my dogs, cross trainer. Going for walks to take photos. Working inside, I much prefer to get outdoors to exercise.

What do you do William, seeing it's your thread, it would be interesting to know what you do.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to be in the Army before doing photography so that was a good start. Now I play league soccer, train 2-3 times a week and match on weekends, weights gym 3 times a week and miscellaneous sports like tennis and badminton and hiking locally and overseas.

train hard, shoot easy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    funny you posted this today as I was in the gym this morning (after having a long time off from a torn ligament) and I was nearly vomitting!! I think my head cold and dehydration made me feel like this!!

I try to get into the gym at least 2 - 3 times a day (when not injured) and I love walking!!
    Monika
    Equipment: Canon 60D, Nikon FE, Nikkor 50mm 1.8 lens, Fancier FT-662A tripod, 18-55mm kit lens, 55-250mm kit lens, 30mm 1.4 Sigma lens, LR4, PS Elements
    Check out my Flickr photos ... http://www.flickr.com/photos/missmonny/
    ... and then you can like me on www.facebook.com/PhotoByMB or see my shop on http://www.redbubble.com/people/msmonny

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ms Monny View Post
    funny you posted this today as I was in the gym this morning (after having a long time off from a torn ligament) and I was nearly vomitting!! I think my head cold and dehydration made me feel like this!!

I try to get into the gym at least 2 - 3 times a day (when not injured) and I love walking!!
    How do u find the time to get in 2-3 times a day Ms Monny?
    Cheers
    Emma

Avoid shooting with a 12 gauge shotgun. Use a Canon instead.

Canon 5D, Canon 7D, 50mm 1.4, 18-55mm, Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 VC, Sigma 70-200mm f2.8, 580EX Speedlight. Facebook

Amor fati!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmm... lift beer- drink-put beer down... lift beer-drink-put beer down

just kidding. everything in moderation i believe and stay active... above all else dont become a "lazy person". taking photos doesnt take a great physique but being puffed after walking 100 meters probably isnt a great thing.
    that said i walk, cycle, fish, and generally keep moving... dont forget rest peeps! very important! do your back in and you will regret it! you only get one body so look after it

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    cycling, not as much as I used to. Walking my dogs, cross trainer. Going for walks to take photos. Working inside, I much prefer to get outdoors to exercise.

What do you do William, seeing it's your thread, it would be interesting to know what you do.
    My life changed from unbelievably active after I had to stop my first career, after that I suffered from activity withdrawals initially.

So after major back surgery when I was 32, within the year of that major operation, I took up mountain biking and endurance horse riding before I left the UK. Once I'd moved here, I then found my work became more digital,which meant a great deal more sitting in front of a computer.

So I needed to find something to get my regular fitness kick, my personal interests, (other then the more standard gym visits kayaking and cycling) over the past 15 years I've been into Muay Thai Kick Boxing, sparring in one on one no holds barred (UFC style), and general self defence . My professional fight trainer and sparring partner, who doesnt believe in the typical customer client relationship, of the customer is always right, taught "old school training" of a black eye will teach you to hold your guard up properly. So while I may be in my mid 50's, I'm still fitter than most 40 year olds
    Last edited by Longshots; 12-06-2011 at 5:23pm.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a weekly tennis session. I went back to it this year after stopping in 2009. It's fun and keeps me active, but I doubt it's enough exercise.

In common with Williams is martial arts (different styles, though). I walked away from it in 1994; at the time, I was training four nights a week plus half of Sunday.

I wonder if lifting my gear and lugging it around counts as exercise...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    always been pretty big into the fitness...usually my excersise consists of gym sessions 3-4times a week an riding my push bike for leisure and started racing keeps the heart ticking....was doing this before i started taking photo's mind you...photography is leisurely hobby i've started...

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got enough broken bones to deal with. I know that in trying to keeping fit it will only exacerbate this recurring problem.

I can't say that being unfit has ever stopped me from achieving my photography goals(but my physical disabilities definitely have).
    My biggest problem is walking, and adding 20plus kgs of camera gear to the already significant 100kg burden my knee has to deal with does have implications.

I can't imagine walking more than 5klms in a stint and not due to a level of unfitness. It's simply due to the knee problem.
    As for walking up or down hill ... definitely a no go for me(unless the photograph is worth the effort).
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

A. P's Culinary Indiscriminant
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lots of RUSTLING but tragically, NO junk food.
    Nikon and Pentax user

Who let the rabble in?
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to play and train for touch footy basically 7 days a week for about 15 years up until about 15 years ago, but now I'm 50 I have backed off considerably to now only playing Tag once a week and sometimes touch footy, do a 15km cycle each Saturday and walking our dog. My job can also be a little physical if the boys need help in the store and I try to eat sensibly and by and large this has worked. I have little trouble lugging around my 10kg of gear in my backpack.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why does one NEED to be fit to be a photographer?

Certain types, yes... If you are photographing lions on the jungle, it probably pays to be able to run fast and long.

But, if you are photographing birds from a bird hide, sitting with cold beer, why is fitness an imperative?

Other than it's generally better to be moderately fit than not.
    Canon 7D : Canon EF 70-200mm f:2.8 L IS II USM - Canon EF 24-105 f:4 L IS USM - Canon EF 50mm f:1.8 - Canon EF-s 18-55mm f:3.5-5.6
    Sigma APO 150-500mm f:5-6.3 DG OS HSM
    - Sigma 10-20mm f:3.5 EX DC HSM
    Speedlite 580 EX II - Nissin Di866 II - Yongnuo 460-II x2 - Kenko extension tube set - Canon Extender EF 1.4x II
    Manfroto monopod - SILK 700DX Pro tripod - Remote release - Cokin Z-Pro filter box + Various filters

Current Social Experiment: CAPRIL - Wearing a cape for the month of April to support Beyond Blue
    Visit me on Flickr

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast