Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beginner - Should I be using M, TV or AV

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    I fail to undertand the logic in that
    I concur. Auto, semi auto and manual modes all have a place.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Amor fati!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think kyou will find over time that no one mode is the correct mode and you will, as you gain experience be able to decide which mode works best in which situation... till then just experiment. manual is good to show you what each of the other 2 does and how to expose properly, but lets face it if you are shooting on the fly you might not have time to figure out what shutterspeed and aperture to use and so aperture priority is commonly used

BOL!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OMG I've never used all the other ones either .... I've always used any of the auto modes and M.

Never TV, AV etc...

So you reckon work my way to M? Play around with the others first?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of course - play with ALL the settings so you can understand them, you'll use all and need to at some stage.
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Amor fati!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    like kiwi said, play with all the settings!

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There sounds like a bit of a trend with some of these courses overlooking some basics. I recently bumped into a friend I hadn't seen in a while, while yacking she told me of the photography course she had just done and proud of the fact she now only uses manual. Whilst it sounded great on the surface, a bit further into the discussion I realised she uses manual mode with Auto ISO turned on and didn't really comprehend the whole triangle bit and what the auto ISO what actually doing on her behalf.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too use a semi-auto setting from time to time (especially when photographing sport in patch lighting)..

But, I think you need to be taught (and become familiar with the use of) M mode (even if you don't use it) so that you can understand what the camera is doing when you are in semi-auto mode. This will help you understand if Tv or Av is better for you situation.

Scotty
    Canon 7D : Canon EF 70-200mm f:2.8 L IS II USM - Canon EF 24-105 f:4 L IS USM - Canon EF 50mm f:1.8 - Canon EF-s 18-55mm f:3.5-5.6
    Sigma APO 150-500mm f:5-6.3 DG OS HSM
    - Sigma 10-20mm f:3.5 EX DC HSM
    Speedlite 580 EX II - Nissin Di866 II - Yongnuo 460-II x2 - Kenko extension tube set - Canon Extender EF 1.4x II
    Manfroto monopod - SILK 700DX Pro tripod - Remote release - Cokin Z-Pro filter box + Various filters

Current Social Experiment: CAPRIL - Wearing a cape for the month of April to support Beyond Blue
    Visit me on Flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I must agree, I have found this way of learning different settings is trial and error ,and look at the settings when put on computer program, then decide what is better Auto or manual settings when you are more confident and understand the manual settings of the camera. It is the fun of Digital photography and being new it certainly is a great hobby or profession depending on your ambitions.

Mal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a friend who's new to the SLR world, and while trying to help her come to grips with it found this website,
    http://pixelpoppin.com/camera/index.html
    A hands on method of seeing what happens when you change settings etc all on one site.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oldfart View Post
    I have a friend who's new to the SLR world, and while trying to help her come to grips with it found this website,
    http://pixelpoppin.com/camera/index.html
    A hands on method of seeing what happens when you change settings etc all on one site.
    There are several of these : http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...ne-camera-demo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Mary, I've also recently done an 8 week course and the instructors were wonderful but, at the end of the course I was so confused about the same issues that I've hibernated for a while. I have a Panasonic Lumix that is doing me proud until I get back to my SLR. I think I need some warmer weather to encourage me to re-read all my notes. F-stops confuse me too. I understand what they mean but, when I try to use them, I muddle the bit about small aperture and largest numbers and large aperture and small numbers. I've had my SLR for about 6 months. I figure I'll eventually get the hang of it. But it's exciting......!
    Maureen

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12