Thread: Why all Digital images need SHARPENING

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goodallphotography View Post
    OK I've got the Action in place but it won't work.
    I am trying to do it on a duplicate layer following these instructions from the Action Central website but I get no result?
    Dont duplicate the layer, the action does that, it is part of the process. Just have your photo open and ready to go, open the action (click the arrow that is pointing right, next to the action name). The action will open up. Generally you click the first line of the action (first down arrrow), then click the run button at the bottom of the action pallette.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography Regular wideangle's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I reckon it would be good to see some samples, maybe 100% crop versions of users files straight out of the camera with no sharpening and then after you have applied your preferred sharpening technique. Any takers?

Also am I correct in saying that the more MP your camera has the more apparent the images will seem 'less sharp' as you are zooming in to an image that is larger in size?
    please ask before PP my images

"Life is what happens to you while your busy making other plans"

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wideangle View Post
    I reckon it would be good to see some samples, maybe 100% crop versions of users files straight out of the camera with no sharpening and then after you have applied your preferred sharpening technique. Any takers?

Also am I correct in saying that the more MP your camera has the more apparent the images will seem 'less sharp' as you are zooming in to an image that is larger in size?
    Not necessarily, the more you zoom in and pixel peep, the more you will see, but sharpness is more a factor of lens quality, focus accuracy etc. So depending on where you zoom to in the photo will affect the results you see. Unless you had a full on scientific test environment with different MP bodies, but same lenses used, same light, same camera settings, same subject, you would be hard pressed to assume a larger MP count meant a less sharp result. To many other factors.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    High pass filter for me, gives me a more managable result easy to edit areas with a mask too!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK. I'm shocked!
    I have never bothered with sharpening before but after reading this post then playing around in LR and looking at the results side by side, I am going to do it from now on. This could explain why I am never happy with the results of my images.
    Thanks.
    Peter.

Some of my photo's are at www.peterking.id.au

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    High Pass sharpening has two big advantages. The first advantage is that the sharpening is done on a separate layer. With High Pass sharpening applied on a separate layer, not only can the sharpening be adjusted at a later date but also can be completely undone simply by deleting the layer that was added during the High Pass Sharpening process.

The second advantage is that the High Pass sharpening technique uses the High Pass filter, which isolates the edges. Thus, High Pass sharpening applies sharpening primarily to the edges where it is needed and protects smoother areas from the sharpening.

Thanks (yet again) Rick for reminding me about this ...completely forgotten about this I will have to bookmark this for latter reference.
    Kevin M
    "FNQ Bolter"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In pp, sharpening should be the final step. If I have created a few adjustment layers with masks etc and want to keep these layers for tweaking later, I merge all of the relevant layers to a new layer and apply the high-pass filter to a copy of that layer.

To merge the layers prior to sharpening I make them visible and then hold down the ALT key while clicking on LAYERS->MERGE VISIBLE.

The rest is as per Rick's recipe.

I too prefer this sharpening because it focuses on the edges and doesn't accentuate the grain. Also, by usng a mask on the HP layer I can limit the sharpening to selected areas of the image.

Thanks Rick for a great post.

Wazza

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Dave's Sharpening Actions - in particular the High Pass Sharpening, from www.atncentral.com
    I tried it, and agree it's great. Definitely better results than I was getting in a lot less time. Definitely worth a go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the more than useful tips guys: AP is an education in photography.
    Comments and CC welcome..

Gear: Canon 6D & 1Ds Cameras l Canon EF 17-40mm F 4.0 L USM l Canon EF 24-105mm F4.0 L IS USM l Canon EF 70 - 200 F4.0 L USM Lenses I Manfrotto Tripods I Adobe Photoshop CS6 l Lightroom 3.0 I Lee Filters

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes." Marcel Proust 1871 - 1922

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do NOT sharpen your RAW files. Sharpening should be the last thing in your workflow, before saving the file. Convert your RAW file into TIF/PSD etc, work on it in photoshop, do all your other adjustments, and only then Sharpen.
    So i should be dropping the default raw sharpening to 0 instead of the 25 its set to at the moment in the RAW converter and do all sharpening in one hit?

I tried the high pass filter set to hard /soft light on some recent photos. Now i don't think ill need that optometrists appointment anymore. Excellent advice in this thread.

Looking for a lonely D3x to keep my D80 company. She wears Nikkor and Lowerpro and likes rough handling....

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lex Dangelica View Post
    So i should be dropping the default raw sharpening to 0 instead of the 25 its set to at the moment in the RAW converter and do all sharpening in one hit?

I tried the high pass filter set to hard /soft light on some recent photos. Now i don't think ill need that optometrists appointment anymore. Excellent advice in this thread.

Yes. All good workflow advice is that sharpening should be one of the last things you do in your workflow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rick.

Do the newer sensors (gapless micro lens) remove the need for this sharpening process?

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tek View Post
    Thanks Rick.

Do the newer sensors (gapless micro lens) remove the need for this sharpening process?
    No, if you have the chance to try a camera with one of these sensors, give sharpening a go on the resultant file, you will see that the straight from camera file still needs sharpening. The sensor is only one part of the equation as to the need for sharpening, the other main factor is your lens. Lenses are not perfect.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is always a gap with GRGB bayer sensors http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayer_sensor as each pixel gets light from 4 different physical points.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great info; it's all a bit over my head right now!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, really must get my head around the finer points of sharpening, as opposed to just trial and error.

think some youtube tutorials are in order... Anyone have any suggestions, ie 'the strobist' of PP sharpening?
    Last edited by JayR; 06-05-2011 at 11:39pm.
    Pentax K7, MZ-30 (film), ME-Super (film), Diana mini, Holga Sterographic (3D)
    Pentax FA31/1.8 Ltd, FA 50/1.4, FA 77/1.8 Ltd, DFA 100/2.8 Macro WR, DA*16-50/2.8, DA*50-135/2.8, DA 18-250, FA 100-300, Sigma 10-20, Sigma 17-35, Tamron 18-200, Photix 35mm Tilt-shift, Samyang 8mm Fisheye, Lensbaby, 2x Pentax AF 540GZ, various other bits of flash accessories + more enthusiasm than skill.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rick. Very useful comments here for someone learning how to use photoshop too

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Although thread is rather old, I now know that I know virtually nothing about PP.
    So much to learn. Thanks to all who contributed.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234