This small tidbit of info is specific to Nikon(D70s in particular!)
In camera Sharpening is simply USM, but on the camera.

From the info I've read on this phenomenon, the images straight form the camera also have to deal with an 'anti alias filter' which also determines how sharp an image come straight from the camera without any in camera sharpness applied.
Each camera has different strengths of AA filter, and the D70s has quite a strong application.
Problem is that you get moirè in high frequency repetitive patterns!

All my PP is done in CaptureNX, and after reading a few bits of info on how to use it more effectively, I've read that settings between 45-55% intensity, 4 or 5 radiusand 4 or 5 threshold is about the ideal, if you applied no image sharpening at all in camera.
That's what I used to use regularly as a general default for all my images, up till the D300 came along.

From this I assume that each camera is different and requires different settings for optimal IQ.

I know from reading that D50 and D80 has a weaker AA filter and I assume a D200 would too whereas a D100 I think has a stronger AA filter. So if you had a D50 and use NX, you may want to apply slightly stronger USM settings.
The info is out there, and many folks have experimented and posted their findings.. somewhere?

The moral of the story is that various models of camera may require different levels of adjustment .. so what works for 'him', may not necessarily work for 'her'

Hope this helps too!