User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: An Unexpected publication??

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

An Unexpected publication??

Through flickr, America's Popular Photography magazine found one of my pictures and paid me for use of the following picture in their April magazine as part of a travel special. That was all fine but then, my friend in Iceland has recently let me know that a local newspaper has since used that picture as well?

My first reaction was "Cool, I got published in Iceland!" but then , on reflection, why wasn't I notified? I'm not upset, just curious to know what people think about the legalities of photographing a magazine picture for their own publication.
    <Edit> Actually, after figuring out the page, the link was to pop photography's website with the appropriate credit and all so I guess it's all good!

This is the link and the picture
    25 best places to photograph

Last edited by Dylan & Marianne; 11-06-2011 at 1:36am.
    Call me Dylan! www.everlookphotography.com | www.everlookphotography.wordpress.com | www.flickr.com/photos/dmtoh
    Canon EOS R5, : 16-35mm F4 L, 70-200F4 canon L, 24-70mm 2.8IIcanon L, Sirui tripod + K20D ballhead + RRS ballhead. |Sony A7r2 + Laowa 12mm F2.8, Nisi 15mm F4
    Various NiSi systems : Currently using switch filter and predominantly 6 stop ND, 10 stop ND, 3 stop medium GND
    Post : Adobe lightroom classic CC : Photoshop CC. Various actions for processing and web export

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, congratulations, that's excellent, but I'd have to save I'm not surprised with the quality of your work.

Well done

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess some Icelander was excited to see a 'local' pic in an American magazine and so they publicised the link. At least it links back to your photo credited shot, and a very nice one BTW.
    Odille

“Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky”

My Blog | Canon 1DsMkII | 60D | Tokina 20-35mm f/2.8 AF AT-X PRO | EF50mm f/1.8| Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM | Fujifilm X-T1 & X-M1 | Fujinon XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XC 50-230mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XF 18-55mm F2.8-4R LM OIS | tripods, flashes, filters etc ||

Shore Crawler
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks John and Odille I kind of wondered why my friend's reaction was negative to begin with though lol - especially since he can read Icelandic! ( I think he had some of his flickr images of the volcano stolen by foxtel)

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good to see a good out-come.
    How did those people become giants
    Col

Shore Crawler
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol, lens distortion - I thought it looked cool :P

A. P's Culinary Indiscriminant
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its great news and congratulations. . It is rewarding and satisfying to be acknowledged and published anywhere - Iceland included.

BTW - when you say "unexpected" - Mongo hates to tell you but you're the only one who didn't expect it !!
    Nikon and Pentax user

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As long as the royalty arrives, I wouldn't get too worried.
    Canon 7D : Canon EF 70-200mm f:2.8 L IS II USM - Canon EF 24-105 f:4 L IS USM - Canon EF 50mm f:1.8 - Canon EF-s 18-55mm f:3.5-5.6
    Sigma APO 150-500mm f:5-6.3 DG OS HSM
    - Sigma 10-20mm f:3.5 EX DC HSM
    Speedlite 580 EX II - Nissin Di866 II - Yongnuo 460-II x2 - Kenko extension tube set - Canon Extender EF 1.4x II
    Manfroto monopod - SILK 700DX Pro tripod - Remote release - Cokin Z-Pro filter box + Various filters

Current Social Experiment: CAPRIL - Wearing a cape for the month of April to support Beyond Blue
    Visit me on Flickr

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not suprised Dylan. It's a wonder that a lot more of your images are not published.
    Geoff
    Honesty is best policy.
    CC is always welcome
    Nikon D3000 ... Nikon D90... Nikon D700 Various lenses, Home studio equipment and all the associated stuff
    Flickr

Shore Crawler
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks guys ! by the title, I meant the icelandic part was unexpected lol - we have got the payment - though with the US dollar < AUD, it wasn't as great as it could have been :P

The Commander
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm, firstly I am not surprised your photos were selected, I have been a long term fan of your fantastic photography. Congradulations on both accounts - well deserved I think. Hmm, I see this one was with the 7D so not hire royalties for the wifes camera on this one :-) LOL.

One thing I do find interesting is the shot was found on flickr - I assume agencies must trawl flickr much like stock sites.

Well done again.
    Please be honest with your Critique of my images. I may not always agree, but I will not be offended - CC assists my learning and is always appreciate

https://mikeathome.smugmug.com/

Canon 5D3 - Gripped, EF 70-200 L IS 2.8 MkII, , 24-105 L 4 IS MkI, 580 EX II Speedlite, 2x 430 Ex II Speedlite

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, Flickr has an option where you can allow it to be picked up (by Getty, I think).

But, I suppose, someone still has to trawl through and notice your photo from the thousands that get loaded up per minute.

Shore Crawler
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks mike ! Scotty, I think they really did just trawl flickr looking for images of the Geysir area because this photo wasn't submitted to Getty ( I don't allow them) - we literally got an email out of the blue and wondered how the heck they picked this one at random !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats Dylan, well deserved.
    I know of a few people who have received payment for images "found" on flickr. I guess its a reminder that titles and tags can be useful and may prove lucrative!!
    Shirl
    Gear - 7D, Canon 100mm macro f2.8L, Sigma 10-20, Sigma 24-70 f2.8, nifty fifty, tripod, hitech filters, lowepro versapack and a long wishlist!
    http://www.shirleymilburn.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/ShirleyMilburnPhotography

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you tagged it with the location detail they probably found it that way. Always a good idea to tag with the old who, what, where and when (as each is appropriate) when you can.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    good for you Dylan.
    Graeme
    "May the good Lord look down and smile upon your face"......Norman Gunston___________________________________________________
    Nikon: D7000, D80, 12-24 f4, 17-55 f2.8, 18-135, 70-300VR, 35f2, SB 400, SB 600, TC-201 2x converter. Tamron: 90 macro 2.8 Kenko ext. tubes. Photoshop CS2.

Shore Crawler
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks shirl, graeme
    Odille, I usually do tag my photos and location too - wonder if that was how they found it