Thread: Just recieved my 70-200 f2.8 IS L V1

Formerly user: Arzuhl
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just recieved my 70-200 f2.8 IS L V1

Hey guys.
    Recieved my 70-200 V1 today, hoping I made a wise purchase it is in remarkably good condition,date code is UW1117. I passed my 70-200 f4 onto my wife.
    Anybody out there still using the V1 or am I the only one that still has one? If someone has moved up to the V2, can you tell me why you upgraded as Im hoping to use this lens to support my 135mm f2 for portraits and fast moving small adults (alias children!).
    Heres hoping I made the right call. I scored the V1 for aound more than 1k less than a new V2.
    Cheers all.
    Cameras: Canon 5D MkIII, Canon 7D gripped.
    Lenses: 24mmmm f1.4 L, 24-105mm f4 L, 50mm f1.2 L, 85mm f1.2 II L, 70-200 f2.8 L IS II
    Flash: Canon 600 EX RT.
    Tripod: Manfrotto 190CX Pro3, Manfrotto Automatic Monopod, Manfrotto 498RC2 Ball Head.
    Bank Manager: Unhappy.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Still using the Mk1??

HELL YES!! It is a brilliant lens, my favourite. Isn't enough reasons for me to upgrade to a Mk2, I don't know many at all who did. (I'm sure there are a few with more money than sense though)
    Mic

Photography is the art of telling stories with light.

www.michaelgoulding.com

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Etherial, I was beginning to think I'd made a big mistake. Still I guess the old saying holds true 'no news is good news'
    Cheers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    very nice lens ive had mine for a while and its nearly my most used lens
    |Gear|Canon 5D MkII + Grip |Canon 7D + Grip |Canon 580EXII x 3|Canon EF Fisheye 15mm F/2.8 |Canon EF 16-35mm F/2.8L Mk II | |Canon EF 400mm F/5.6L |Canon EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS |Canon EF 24-105mm F/4 L IS |Canon EF 100mm F/2.8 Macro |Canon EF 50mm F/1.8 MK II |Sekonic L-358 Lightmeter |Manfrotto 055XPROB Tripod + 322RC2 Head |Manfrotto 628B Monopod | Wireless Remote Flash Trigger PT-04 CN & 5 Receivers| Plus Too Much More (Filters Ect)
    Chris | http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=119829358036800 | http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrisprendergast |

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm still using a very well used 70-200 IS mkI.

It isn't as sharp at f/4 as either the standard f/4 or IS version but it's close and the extra stop is usefull.
    Canon stuff

You don't stop riding because you get old. You get old because you stop riding.

The Commander
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mate - from all I know the mk1 is an exceptional lens. I have the f4 version of this lens and I just love it but do miss the wider aperture at times. I think you will be very happy witht he lens and the wider aperture you will apreciate I am sure.
    Please be honest with your Critique of my images. I may not always agree, but I will not be offended - CC assists my learning and is always appreciate

https://mikeathome.smugmug.com/

Canon 5D3 - Gripped, EF 70-200 L IS 2.8 MkII, , 24-105 L 4 IS MkI, 580 EX II Speedlite, 2x 430 Ex II Speedlite

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to all for your replies, I managed to get out and get some shots on Saturday (in between the showers) and I have to say I'm pretty impressed, its not as sharp as my 135mm f2 but for the benefits afforded by having a fast zoom, its nothing a little PP would not fix up. Really happy with my purchase.
    Cheers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I borrowed this lens for the weekend off a mate from work, check my flickr, all history alive photos were taken with it.

I love the way it can seperate a subject from its background, amazingly fast and sharp.

It goes back to its owner tomorrow

Cheers Dave
    I have this silly idea, that I should actually go and take photos with all this photography gear I have already accumulated, before I collect any more!

See some of my photos here.
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/David...5888662?ref=hl
    And my very randomly updated blog.
    http://davidarnold.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you've used the mk1 and the mk2. You'll notice a difference. If not... you'll be fine. I never had the mk1 but had borrowed it from a friend together with a rented mk2. I compared photos with the mk2 and there is a significant difference @ in terms of sharpness IMO. So i saved up more money to get the mk2 and didn't regret it. I reckon it's as sharp as the F4 wide open.

Frankly speaking.. unless you need to crop or pixel peep.... the mk1 is a smashing lens. I'm a lousy photographer so i need to crop very often :P
    Last edited by KeeFy; 15-06-2011 at 6:10pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    8 days on, and I am sure you are loving it. I love my lens and it is a V1. I think it is the favorite of all my lenses.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have this lens and it is fantastic for a range of purposes. You won't have a problem.