User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Metz 45 CT - 5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Metz 45 CT - 5

I've been ratting around and found my Metz 45 CT - 5 Flash unit. I'd like to use it as a remote slave (not game to marry it to my Leica V-Lux 2, they may fry each other's electronics). It has a battery cassette loaded with dud ni -cads, can I replace the ni-cads with NiMh without damaging the electrinics of the unit?

Terry M

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should be able to. I did just that with the v. same unit (using - and don't laugh! - inexpensive batteries from a certain German supermarket here) and it has been going (but rarely used) for over a year. I didn't get a charger with mine, so I just take the batteries out to charge separately.
    I use the camera pop-up flash to trigger it separately, via an optical slave unit of some vintage.
    Am.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, just what I wanted to hear, I've got the optical slave plus heaps of stuff from my film days! I have two battery cassettes with my Metz, one for alkaline and one for Ni Cads. I notice that the two battery cassettes have contacts located in different places. I had a look inside the Metz and there are three contact points: one common and one each for Alkaline & Ni Cads. The voltage is different, Alkalines = 9 volts (6 X 1.5) and the Ni Cads = 7.8 volts (6 X 1.3).
    I think the NiMh cells are 1.5 volts each so I'd better use the alkaline cassette and re-charge externally, if I wire the NiMhs into the rechargeable cassette the extra voltage may kill the circuitry?
    Thanks for the info

Terry M

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    NOOOO! The NiMH are the same as NiCds: 1.2 volts(NOT 1.3V at all. You might have got this reading after recharging them. That often happens, but their load voltage is 1.2.) Don't put them into the alkaliine carrier, or at least DON'T put alkalines into the NiMH carrier.
    Am.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for that, I have no experience at all with NiMH. The only problem I have now is pulling the Ni Cad cassette apart to fit the NiMHs!

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BTW, I was mistaken. I have a CL-4, but I think they work much the same. Look at picture of the carrier removed from the flash handle (base view).
    Press the spring-loaded clips as indicated.
    Am.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for that, it works for the Alkaline cassette only. The reghargeable cassette is a different beast altogether with only two spring loaded clips for holding the unit in place. The wily Germans have made it harder for DIY battery changes in the rechargeable unit.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi AM,
    It's me again. I have concluded that a) I can't replace the cells in the rechargeable unit, b) Metz want $120 for a new one, c) You're running rechargeables (7.2 volts) through your Alkaline cassette on the 9 volt circuitry with no problems, I'll do the same! I will only be using it every now and then when I need to bounce the flash off a brolly or through a soft box. Thanks so much for your input, it takes me a while to get the grey matter into gear but I get there in the end!
    Cheers
    Terry M

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tsmurf. The batteries there now are alkalines, but I have used NiMHs before.
    Am.