Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Computer advice needed.

I need to put a new hard drive into my computer. Although I have two in there already the main one is very small and is nearly full, so I bought a larger drive and downloaded Acronis from the Western Digital web site so that I could clone the main drive to the new drive. All is good so far.
    My stumbling block came when I found that to get the new harddrive into its bay I need to first remove the graphics card. I undid the screw, and then found that the card is held in some how at the other end. For the life of me I cannot find out what it is and how to release it. I just wondered if anyone can give me a clue as to how to release it.
    It is one of these http://p.alejka.pl/i2/p_new/45/09/gi...-e-box_0_b.jpg

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a retaining pin. It is part of the motherboard. You need to pull the pin out with one hand and extract the card with the other. It can be quite hard to reach.
    Tony

It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tannin View Post
    There is a retaining pin. It is part of the motherboard. You need to pull the pin out with one hand and extract the card with the other. It can be quite hard to reach.
    Ah! thank you, what would the pin look like do you know? Does it go into the hook thing ?

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agb. I would be looking about the position where the round hole appears in the pic you posted. Not too that the card has a "hook" at the end, so when you remove it you will have to carefully lift it from the front a bit and then lift it all out.

And a Q: can't you put that drive somewhere else? What's the MB/Case look like?
    Am.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    Agb. I would be looking about the position where the round hole appears in the pic you posted. Not too that the card has a "hook" at the end, so when you remove it you will have to carefully lift it from the front a bit and then lift it all out.

And a Q: can't you put that drive somewhere else? What's the MB/Case look like?

Am.
    Thanks for the advice. I am going tohave to switch off and have another look arn't I. I have noted the hook and I thought that it might be associated with how it is held in but I can not see anything in there.
    It is an Antec case and there appear to be only 3 slots for hard drives. There are some slots above the hard drives but they appear to be slightly narrower.

I think this is the case.
    http://store.antec.com/productimages...4480B_open.jpg
    Last edited by agb; 09-06-2011 at 12:21pm.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is the mother board
    [URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/708/316549s.jpg/]

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Funny, I would have thought those upper BAYS (not slots) to be the larger 5.25-inch size, in which case you could use an adapter tray to fit the new HDD in one of them. How many optical drives are in there already? At worst, slip off the case cover and send us a pic of the layout.
    Am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On my motherboard there is a catch at the rear of the video card slot that looks like this.

There should be something the same or similar on your board
    Cheers, John D
    Nikon D50; D90; D7000; D600; 24-85fx; 18-70dx; 18-105dx; 105mm micro f2.8Dfx; 55-200dx; 50mm f1.8Dfx; 35mm f1.8Gdx; 85mm f1.8Dfx; 70-300VRfx; Sigma 10-20dx; sb600; sb80dx; Metz 45 CT4 + some basic studio stuff

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for everything, found the little lever, on the photo of the motherboard it is the black curved bit at the top end of the pci slot. Just had to be moved a bit so that it released the card. Then of course I found that the hard drive would not fit in with its cable and power cable and then allow the graphics card back in, so had to try agian and yes the BAYS were big enough for the hard drive, though it did not have the silicon rubber bushes for the mounting screwe. So then it all went back together , and then the os could not find the hard drive. A wire in one of the power cord plugs was loose and it took a while for me to find it.
    Anyway it is now OK .I hope.Formatted to a new healthy volume.