Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  4
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Traveling with a Tripod

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Traveling with a Tripod

I am trying to decide if it's ok to pack my tripod or not? I already have in the back pack I take on the plane with me, my laptop, camera lens and two books (need a spare book I have a thing about being stuck on a plane with no book to read). My tripod would make the whole thing VERY cumbersome and heavy but...... I am worried about my tripod being in my luggage. I have thought about surrounding it with clothes so it would be well padded.

Thoughts anyone??? What do you do??

PS It's a long flight with a change of planes.
    "Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!"
    — Hunter S. Thompson

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I packed mine in suit case with my clothes around it . All was good but it was a short flight..
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/bossjanie/

Jane Living is Loving.. Loving is Living

Canon 5D111 - Several Canon Lens

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bec, Marianne and I travelled a world trip last year with our tripods packed - we made sure they were in their padded covers with our goretex outers around them as well as other padding from clothes, shoes etc. We took off the ball heads and carried them in hand carry though. I would strongly advise against marking them as fragile (and checking them in individually) as I suspect they dont' get treated any differently - on our previous trip, the padded bags ended up getting ripped and there were dents in our ballheads
    Call me Dylan! www.everlookphotography.com | www.everlookphotography.wordpress.com | www.flickr.com/photos/dmtoh
    Canon EOS R5, : 16-35mm F4 L, 70-200F4 canon L, 24-70mm 2.8IIcanon L, Sirui tripod + K20D ballhead + RRS ballhead. |Sony A7r2 + Laowa 12mm F2.8, Nisi 15mm F4
    Various NiSi systems : Currently using switch filter and predominantly 6 stop ND, 10 stop ND, 3 stop medium GND
    Post : Adobe lightroom classic CC : Photoshop CC. Various actions for processing and web export

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys, dtoh that is REALLY good to know. I don't have a padded bag but do have lots of clothing packed in pods so I will surround it with those. I nearly decided to leave it behind but a self slap to the head changed my mind back to taking it again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or you can buy a cheap and lighter tripod for travelling...and change the books for PDF versions if you are taking the laptop, just ideas...

regards
    From the end of the World with a Nikon D90, Nikon 16/85 3.5-5.6 and Sigma 30 1.4
    Come and visit!

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Patagonia, I want a really good tripod to use while I am OS, I've had too many blury photo's from the cheaper tripods

PDF version very good idea

Way Down Yonder in the Paw Paw Patch jim's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What do I do? I keep one in Australia, one in New Zealand and one in Thailand.

I hate luggage...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought a smaller, lighter tripod to take to Japan last year and packed with my clothes. I'll do this again when I go to Lord Howe this year. I made a hardshell roadcase for my larger tripod when I went to Tassie a couple of years ago and will do this again when flying domestic with a car at the other end.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks junqbox, my tripod is actually a carbon fiber monfrotto so it IS light, I was just worried about it being safe in my luggage. I'm glad to hear yours traveled well I feel much better now about it's safety.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For what it's worth Bec, I just packed mine in the luggage , Surrounded by clothes etc, No Probs
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fiji this year was the first time I took a tripod with me. It was a crap tripod, but it had served me well for a while. During the first photo I took in Fiji it literally completely fell apart, screws and the top part trickling into the water where it was standing. Luckily I saved the camera before it hit the ocean.

Point of the story is I just assumed the tripod had gone as far as it could, after having a hard salt-filled life. But I don't know, maybe I just packed it poorly and that sped up it's demise?

I just packed that in the middle of my suitcase, but what about just bringing it on the plane with you as carry on luggage? Would that be allowed through okay?
    Last edited by Geoff79; 09-06-2011 at 4:23pm.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After you packed it William - did you go anywhere

Geoff I was trying to no take it on board, I already have my backpack filled with my computer, camera and lens and other paraphernalia. This is me traveling light lol.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BecM View Post
    After you packed it William - did you go anywhere

Geoff I was trying to no take it on board, I already have my backpack filled with my computer, camera and lens and other paraphernalia. This is me traveling light lol.
    Whoops. Sorry mate, I did read that but got distracted and forgot.

Regardless of my story above, I do think packing it in a suitcase sensibly (with clothed padding) should do the trick.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff79 View Post
    Regardless of my story above, I do think packing it in a suitcase sensibly (with clothed padding) should do the trick.

Thanks

Bec

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They wont' let you take a tripod on board anyway ( at least they wouldn't let me) because of its shape and potential for being used as weapon??
    Dunno, maybe it was just me - anyone here been able to take one on board as hand carry??

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow dtoh I never thought about that aspect of it! I tell you what it would make a good weapon, I reckon I could knock a robber flying with my tripod lol. I am going to NY and the security there at the moment is very high, so whilst Sydney might not be a problem, checking through at LA could be! My last flight from NY to LA we were told that nobody was allowed to 'congregate' anywhere on the plane and this was before OBL in January.

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I took a tripod to NZ last year. I cannot recall if it was my Manfrotto or a lightweight Slik. Probably the latter.

Later I bought a roller bag for travelling and that was sized to take my Manfrotto tripod as they are no longer popular as on-board luggage. As for packing for air travel, certainly, inside a bag surrounded by clothes (i.e. in the middle of the bag). Gone are the days when you could take golf bags (with clubs), rifles in bags and large duffle bags as on-board baggage. These days you are lucky to get a pygmy's purse on board. Even then, won’t be long before they hit you with a $50 surcharge for something the size of a postage stamp.

Now of course, if going to NY, I might put a Gitzo Ocean Traveller on my shopping list to pick up from there. Even though it is a lot cheaper in the US, it would still become the most expensive bit of kit in my collection - oh, just dreaming.

BTW, the concept of not 'congregating' on a plane is fascinating. Must be a US thing. How do you not congregate when jammed into a small space with 500 other people?
    Cheers

PeterB666

Olympus Pen F with Metabones Speed Booster and Laowa 12mm f/2.8 or Voigtlander 10.5mm f/0.95 or Nikon D800 with the Laowa 12mm f/2.8. The need to keep in touch with the past is a Nikon Photomic FTn or Nikon F2A and a Nikkor 25-50mm f/4 AI

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Peter I do NOT need any more things to put on my 'to buy from B and H' thank you very much!!!!!!

They described congregating as more than one person standing and talking, have never had it on a US flight before, maybe there had been a fresh 'threat' that day or just a particular pilot? I never have problems with extra security. Though I did think it funny when C (my ten year old) was swabbed for explosives in Sydney, she is a suspicious looking character that one

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our light tripod went into the carry-on back pack to Japan.

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BecM View Post
    They described congregating as more than one person standing and talking
    Obviously you have to take turns so that only one person standing is talking while the rest are sitting down listening. I expect the pilot was a former primary school teacher in the 1950s.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast