User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  34
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: All is not what it seems

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought that might be the case. Thanks for letting me know. And yep I get Forbidden
    William

www.longshots.com.au

I am the PhotoWatchDog

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
    I must be blind, where's the link to the site in discussion ?
    We have not posted it, for the very reason we did not want to start a huge personal thing against this particular 'professional photographer'
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm glad someone is on to him. He's been a knob for ages amongst the forums professing to be a "professional" and bagging people in his posts.

It's people like this that bring the business of being a good professional down!

Its a shame that this sort of blatant fraudulent representation occurs but it just reinforces that people need to do their homework and not be so trusting in today's world!

RenJ

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Interesting : The ABN he is using on all his sites, is not registered to him.

Whilst this thread may appear a bit disjointed to those who do not know who we are talking about, It is a good lesson on running a business. Do not lie about your qualifications etc, cause you will be caught out, and the implications could be disastrous for not only your business, but you as a person as well, especially if the tax office start investigating you.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another forum was discussing this issue and turns out it is his girlfriends ABN, I wonder if the ATO know? Be worth dropping an email on that.

Given it is illegal to associate an ABN with a business other than the one registered. BTW It's called fraud when you do that.

Shonky people like this need to be put out of business.
    It does no one any good at all when they purport to be members of a professional organisation, put up an illegal ABN etc.
    This sort of activity does all good photographers damage.

BTW: The ABN is about identification. http://www.abr.business.gov.au/main.aspx
    Last edited by Kym; 08-06-2011 at 11:17am.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    arrh , OK. It's starting to read like a post in a critique forum where not everyone has the user rights to see the photo being discussed.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
    arrh , OK. It's starting to read like a post in a critique forum where not everyone has the user rights to see the photo being discussed.
    We cannot name the person or websites/businesses involved as we are then liable to a take down notice, or legal action. At present whilst we are discussing this, but not naming those involved on a public forum, there is nothing they can do. It is the same as an injunction, the case can be discussed, but those involved cannot be named. If members of AP (and other forums..hehe) are discussing this privately, then that is their choice. I am aware the person involved is reading this thread (Hi, and thanks for the email).
    Last edited by ricktas; 08-06-2011 at 11:25am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cant understand why you wouldnt get your own ABN - unless of course the sole trader is employing that person - but then you'd think that the business or business's names would be registered ?

Anyway, another point to remember that if the said person is going to list that they have a "Diploma, Photography", that they would check to see if the stated University of Sunshine Coast actually offers that course - which they do NOT.
    Last edited by ricktas; 08-06-2011 at 1:08pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol, geez, what a tangled web of crap they have spun
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is utterly amazing! Did he actually think that he would get away with it, in this technical webloving day and age??? What a drip!!

But, yes, a very timely reminder for your other thread about starting your own business and wanting to become a professional......there is only ONE way of doing it....the right way!!!
    Monika
    Equipment: Canon 60D, Nikon FE, Nikkor 50mm 1.8 lens, Fancier FT-662A tripod, 18-55mm kit lens, 55-250mm kit lens, 30mm 1.4 Sigma lens, LR4, PS Elements
    Check out my Flickr photos ... http://www.flickr.com/photos/missmonny/
    ... and then you can like me on www.facebook.com/PhotoByMB or see my shop on http://www.redbubble.com/people/msmonny

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ms Monny View Post
    But, yes, a very timely reminder for your other thread about starting your own business and wanting to become a professional......there is only ONE way of doing it....the right way!!!
    And with Honesty and Integrity!

Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This thread....

Basil: Listen, don't mention the war! I mentioned it once, but I think I got away with it all right.
    [returns to the Germans] So! It's all forgotten now, and let's hear no more about it. So, that's two egg mayonnaise, a prawn Goebbels, a Hermann Goering, and four Colditz salads.
    And given we were emailed to dump this thread... (even though no one is named)
    Basil: Is there something wrong?
    Elder Herr: Will you stop talking about the war?
    Basil: Me! You started it!
    Elder Herr: We did not start it!
    Basil: Yes you did — you invaded Poland.
    Last edited by Kym; 08-06-2011 at 1:58pm.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    My guess is he is aggressively targeting IP addresses that check his site(s) out.
    Okay, so, the logic goes like this:

1. establish a Web site to promote one's 'professional photography' business;
    2. stamp the AIPP logo on it, in an unauthorised and deceitful manner;
    3. complain about the institution of which one claims to be a member when one is not, after being caught out with that claim;
    4. use an ABN which is registered to someone else; and
    5. block the IP addresses used by people who try to access one's site.

Yes, that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    We cannot name the person or websites/businesses involved as we are then liable to a take down notice, or legal action.
    It's a truly sad situation when someone can go about engaging in clearly fraudulent activity, but cannot be named and shamed in case that person takes legal action against those who expose his fraudulent behaviour.

For what it's worth, I hope you've reported him to every authority which would take an interest in his behaviour.

The sooner he is put out of everyone's misery, the better.

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That cracked me up Kym

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is this site now APP
    Australian Photography Police

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, more neighbourhood watch, or dads army even :-)

Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by colinbm View Post
    Is this site now APP
    Australian Photography Police
    NO! BUT ... a discussion about professional ethics is in order. And referencing someone's behaviour as an example is valid.

What has clouded the discussion is that the AIPP who were infringed are also active on the specific case.

Further the ABN fraud is worthy of discussion as it is a trap from beginners - i.e. ONLY use an ABN for the business its registered with.
    If you don't like that then fight it out with the ATO
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Moderately Underexposed
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Colin, with all due respect, this thread is in "the business of photography" forum and it highlights something that has been done by someone in the "business" and if you look and think back to some of the threads / posts on here about how shock jock so called journalistic programs have gone after photographers who have allegedly given customers a raw deal over weddings etc it may serve to remind some people to be honest in their dealings when in business.

Or should we only ever start "nice" threads that make everybody feel good?
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Disclaimer - the following is NOT legal advice.

I am not sure about the ABN issue. Without seeing the site in question, I am not willing to posit an opinion as to its use of an ABN - but there are circumstances where it might be OK - if you have a registered business name robertsphotos and a company flibble p/l, I believe you can be "flibble p/l trading as robertsphotos", using flibble's ABN and robertsphotos name. (Most Mcdonalds and Harvey Normans trade this way.)
    Regards, Rob

D600, AF-S 35mm f1.8G DX, AF-S 50mm f1.8G, AF-S 24-85mm f3.5-4.5G ED VR, AF-S 70-300mm F4.5-5.6G VR, Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM
    Photos: geeoverbar.smugmug.com Software: CS6, Lightroom 4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rick, Kym & Andrew & forum members
    Reporting all is OK
    But at the end of the day does it really matter what is done or not done. Surely it is the business of the person concerned, they are capable of painting themselves into a corner, one day. The relevant authorities will find their victim.
    Lynch law & vigil antes are not needed here, it is not affecting you or I & perhaps no-one here. Yes there are gullible people everywhere, but it is buyer beware in the big world & if it goes belly-up there are laws protecting these people in Aust. Consumer Affairs & Fair Trading are capable of dealing with this & know a rat or dead fish when they find one & can take it further. These 'shock jock so called journalistic TV & newspaper articles' are just sensationalists with nothing better to do, except to get ratings or sell newspapers (read - rocking horse sawdust).
    Yes report on some dill looking for more dills to fleece. But Piranha feeding frenzies get out of control & can make mistakes too
    I am sure the crooks & fraudsters are capable of hanging themselves. After all this guy is probably not a major criminal & he hasn't been proven guilty of any crime here.
    The people at AIPP will do there job, Trade Practices will do their work in time, & all the other Gov Depts in their due course too.
    Col
    APP moderate

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast