User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  8
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 40D 50D 60D for Sport?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice shots William, and it does display that you can do a one shot, would it have really mattered in either if you had shot in burst for 3 seconds and missed just that moment ?

Like this ?

There's NO way you can time that using single shot
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good point as well Darren, Great shot BTW, Your making me want to get across to the local AFL Footy Field across the road on the weekend to prove a point (100mtrs away) Heaps to look at in that shot tho , I'll get back on this one
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    excuse the negative space, but here's another AFL example, you just cant get the ball close to hand consistently without using FPS - yes - youll get some by lucking it, but you want every one, or at least I do. I can rattle through 1000 pics in 20 minutes so Id rather have a choice

Last edited by kiwi; 09-06-2011 at 3:01pm.

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There was an intresting article by a Sports Illustrated tog who shot film.. He stated that he could shoot an entire NFL game with 3 rolls of 24 shot film and walk away with exactly what the picture editor wanted for a lead story. One shot - one kill

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, Im sure that's true also.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FPS is not all it's cracked up to be.

Think about this.
    If you are taking shots at 10fps, and using a shutter speed of 1000th of a second, out of that second, you are still going to miss 90/100 (90%) of the action, so being observant is still important.
    Having fast fps does not guarentee that you will get that killer shot.

My 60D will rattle off 3 seconds worth of it's 5.3fps in RAW, but I know other cameras will do more.
    How many frames your camera will rattle off before stopping, is also dependant on how fast your memory card is and how fast your buffer can spill its guts into the card.
    If you are using a slow card, after filling the buffer, you may have to wait around for 10-20 seconds until the buffer has emptied itself waiting for the next burst.
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    assuming that peak action lasts for 1/10 of s second - like the example I posted, you still have a chance using 10fps....you have bucklys chance if you try to nail it in a single shot, I dont care if you're Dave Black. Now, is a shot 1/10s each side still going to be good - sure - just not nailed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder if we've answered Freds (The Thread starter) ) Question for him , Or just confused him more , Whats the outcome of this do you think ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah, he bought a D300 anyhow

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm still going over to the Footy field on the weekend Darren for some high speed action , D300 I'm told is a good Camera BTW from a canon shooter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I look forward to seeing your shots too William.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Guys- I had been wondering what the difference was between the 50D and 60D -sounds like I'm still better off getting the 50D seeing I can't afford the 7D.

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillum View Post
    Re FPS: when I shoot 'slow ball' sports (junior Aussie rules, basketball, touch-footy) I don't use 'burst' mode but prefer to try and get the timing right myself. I miss a few (well maybe more than a few ) but hopefully over the longer term it will make me a better shooter. (And sorting through 200 shots at the end of the day is a fair bit easier than 1000 ). For 'fast ball' sports (baseball in my case) shooting in bursts at a decent fps helps when shooting batters but I still shoot the pitchers and fielders in single-shot mode.
    Cheers.
    I agree 100% with what you said. It's laughable (to me at least) when people rave about xxxxxfps. It's not the end of the world if your camera can only shoot 3,4,5,6,7,8 or whatever. A great photographer can and will be able to use any camera to get the picture the way he or she wants it regardless of frame rate.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DNA View Post
    ... A great photographer can and will be able to use any camera to get the picture the way he or she wants it regardless of frame rate.
    I don't agree. It 100% depends on what you are shooting. I shoot dogs and dog movement demands frame rate, the faster the better to get the perfect stride. It makes a huge difference as to whether I get the shot or not during competition.
    Mic

Photography is the art of telling stories with light.

www.michaelgoulding.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DNA View Post
    I agree 100% with what you said. It's laughable (to me at least) when people rave about xxxxxfps. It's not the end of the world if your camera can only shoot 3,4,5,6,7,8 or whatever. A great photographer can and will be able to use any camera to get the picture the way he or she wants it regardless of frame rate.
    As a sport photographer as I've said before there is even at 10fps only one shot that is peak action though it doesn't mean the other 9 are crap. I want the one and I'm prepared to delete the rest

Could I shoot sport in single shot mode and still get great shots sure, would they all be moment perfect, no

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I shoot Aussie Rules and used to use a 300D and kit lens. Hopeless. Went to a 300D with a 70-200 F2.8 IS and much better.

Replaced the 300D with a second hand 40D and SO much better. Added a x1.4 extender and I am now very confident I can get good shots in most circumstances. The 6.5 fps is necessary for high speed sports like Aussie Rules. I agree a 7D would be great - but even more important is your lens in this area.
    Last edited by screamer; 18-06-2011 at 4:54pm.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12