User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  307
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Stay at home mums (and others) and photography as a profession

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A very interesting thread with lots of food for thought. I am not a SAHM but find I have similar feelings to Emma (triptych). I always had an interest in photography growing up but within my family dynamic (and thats a thread all in its own) was not given the opportunity growing up to study the art including the how and why (yes I could have done this earlier and on my own without family input but I didn't) then as time went by life goes on and you grow up and end up with a family. Now that my daughter is a teen and I have found and lost myself many times, in the last 2 years I have purchased a DSLR again and undertaken a few courses and to date now have a general hold and understanding of this craft.

I do have the goal to become a Professional but I know that this will take much time and yes I have a business plan, ABN, website, full insurance etc to run this separate to my normal life and income. I also am out with my camera every week at least 3 times a week taking photos, studying, learning and I have a 10 year plan and hope to be able to turn this into something great given time, encouragement and guidance by people within the industry and others alike. I hope that I am setting myself up to succeed but if I don't to me that's ok, I get pleasure out of photographing people, places and things and that has and will never change, but I would like to have the opportunity to get out from an office and behind a chair/computer 5 days a week and earn a great living from what I love!

PS Since buying a DSLR 2 years ago I have invested quite a lot of money in gear including a second body
    Last edited by ksolomon; 06-06-2011 at 1:12pm. Reason: Re equipment
    Kassy
    Nikon D700
    CC Welcome and Appreciated

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting thread.

I was in Teds in Canberra (basement store) late last year and there was a lady in there with a barrow load of brand new Canon gear on the counter asking questions like"Do you think thats all I need"? "Should it be fairly easy to learn how to use if I read enough books"? and "What would be a good amount to charge"?

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimD View Post
    ... "Do you think thats all I need"? "Should it be fairly easy to learn how to use if I read enough books"? and "What would be a good amount to charge"?
    Hmmm! Step 1 - photographic talent! This is mandatory.
    It may only be 20% of a successful business, but its not something that comes from reading books.

I bet if you asked them "Why did you buy lens X?" (where X is say 50mm prime or whatever) they would have no real idea.

The real problem is when in 3 weeks time they advertise as a wedding 'tog

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Photography is a very easy business to get into but a very hard business to stay in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, I was doing some renovations at home over the weekend and thinking about this topic. Whilst looking at my precision built Fat Max Hammer and my new professional grade rotary hammer drill (i had some concrete to break) amongst my other professional quality tools and wondered "hey, I have some pretty pro gear here, maybe I should become a builder" (chuckle to myself) "I wonder why there aren't new professional builders popping up in my newsfeed every week?". So why aren't I a builder??? 1. It took me all weekend to half do a job a builder would've done in a few hours 2. It's very hard PHYSICAL work and 3. and most importantly... Without proper accreditation by a regulatory body, I wouldn't get any work.

Rick was really onto something here, "Germany where you have to do a government accredited course and get a licence before you can start a business up. Apparently it is fairly stringently controlled and many do not pass the course." This would be a good start for sure. I would love to see the term "Professional Photographer" reserved for those who have earned the title,( be it through training/accreditation/apprenticeship etc) not just those who operate a camera and receive a handful of coin for doing so.

I'm sure you've all heard the quote: "Golf is a terrible way to ruin a good walk" well IMO, trying to squeeze an income out of your hobby, might be the fastest way to ruin it.

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by farquar View Post
    I would love to see the term "Professional Photographer" reserved for those who have earned the title,( be it through training/accreditation/apprenticeship etc) not just those who operate a camera and receive a handful of coin for doing so.
    That one has been done to death on here before and the one thing that stands out in Australia with "regulated" professions / trades is that if the practitioners of those professions / trades stuff up there may be life threatening results or at the least huge monetary losses incurred.

Photographers are generally nowhere near as likely to endanger others physically or financially.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tips for giving away that you shouldnt be considering professional photography:

You have been doing photography for less than 3 years seriously
    You have one camera
    You dont have a tripod
    You dont have at least one flash (and the pop up DOES NOT COUNT)
    You have a entry level SLR, 18-55 and 55-200
    You have CS5 and entry level SLR, 18-55 and 55-200 (this one always amuses me)
    You think JPEG out of camera shots are pure and shouldnt be processed
    You wonder what lens you need for doing a wedding
    You think colour calibration is only for professionals

The list goes on
    Last edited by kiwi; 06-06-2011 at 6:17pm.
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think this is a bit of a non-issue, I bet there are a lot (more) people out there doing precisely the same thing in other markets / professions, but you don't own a forum which caters to them, so aren't exposed to it.

Regulation for the photography industry is a ridiculous idea to me, and I see no need for it.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    Tips for giving away that you shouldnt be considering professional photography:

You have been doing photography for less than 3 years seriously
    Meh, I took on my first paid job within a year of owning a camera, and started getting regular work well within 3 years.

I know of people with hugely successful photography businesses - multiple studios, etc. with less (time) experience than myself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can average it out if you like James. You were OK after one year, some are still struggle street after 6, I think 3's about "average" if there is such a thing

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This thread is not about those that succeed after spending 12 months (OR 3 - 5 Years) learning their craft.

The thread is supposed to be about WHY photography is seen as an EASY career path, and that some think all they need to do is buy a 'good' camera and they can start a business straight away and make money. What is it about Photography that makes it attractive and seemingly an EASY choice for those with no or little photography experience in the first place. How has this misguided perception been placed in society?
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To answr your specific question - it's simply that if you look like you know a DSLR (still ascarey thing for people with a P&S) you'e automatically a photographer and any photo that is reasonably in focus, has some out of focus, some good colour (which pretty much any DSLR) can render is already miles ahead of the neighbour's iPhone.....so...people get their family and friends (ie NOT peers or other photographers) saying how great your photos are - I bet EVERY ONE OF US got that early on.....so....you then naturally I'd suggest go "wow, I could charge people I'm so good" and hey presto............it's just part of the 5 stages of photography

1/ I am a pro
    2/ Maybe I'm not
    3/ OMG I am so bad
    4/ I need to get better
    5/ I am a professional

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rick - Indeed some very interesting opinions and ideas, here...

Maybe I can veer-off a bit from the "Mums-at-Home" thing - and say it might be close to folk I've known - friends and friends of family friends - younger folk, who have, perhaps this is taught - or hinted - at High Schools these days - a total fixation that "things will be wonderful and I'll be a Professional" - if only they get "a Degree"... Any Degree - just so long as it's a Degree....

Then they'll step right into a $100,000 a year job - pay increasing yearly, of course - and have automatic respect, status, and wealth. In three cases of this since 2000 or so - people thinking this way did get a Degree, and their fantasy didn't happen. One is now unemployed, one works counter in a large retailer, and the third, Degree'd in 2008 - is now back at Uni getting another Degree...

I did a couple of Diplomas, back in the 1970s, while working, never a Degree, heading for a job I really wanted - but, along came the first Bub, proper income was needed, and I literally had to keep-on-truckin'....

But right through life - I did know some very successful "Degreed folk" - and in every case - the Degree didn't "hand them success". At most - it gave them the Abilty to Work VERY Hard - to become successful...

So - might the "Be a Pro Photographer" - just get a nice DSLR then it's easy - respect, admiration, lots of money, so on - thing be somewhat similar?

Because I suspect that any Pro Photog who's now successful - first had some abilities, next had a DSLR - then for a long while Worked VERY Hard - before Success "suddenly arrived"....

There again - perhaps I have an odd way of seeing things...

Regards, Dave.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How can we help...?

Answer their questions truthfully.
    Ask the hard questions that need to be asked.

What more can we do?

At the end of the day we can't be responsible for their life decisions, or for the service they give to their future customers. All we can do is arm them with knowledge, and provide them with a forum for honest, non-judgemental discussion.

Andrew.
    https://forkandfoot.com

Nikon D7000
    Sigma 10-20mm ~ Nikon 18-55mm ~ Nikon 55-200mm ~ Manfrotto 190XProB ~ Manfrotto 488RC2
    ~ LowePro Top Load Zoom 1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is nothing new at all.
    Every profession, trade, craft, hobby, sport, entertainer, compare ......etc, did I say motivational speakers - yes we can teach you to stand up in a crowded room & take all their money too
    There are all the trained failures that still get employed & there are plenty of highly trained & accredited professionals that still don't get it right ! The world is full of people & they all need money
    The world is full of Wannabees, we all want to be the best, biggest, fastest, fattest, skinniest, quickest, slowest, geeeeeeees, look at the book 'Guinness World Records', everyone of us could be in there, we are each unique & could make a record that another could not surpass.
    It is just LIFE
    Col

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Benjamin Franklin
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"

John Ruskin
    "There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey."

John Ruskin
    "In order that people may be happy in their work, these three things are needed:
    They must be fit for it. They must not do too much of it. And they must have a sense of success in it."

That'll do
    Col

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another issue that popped into my head..........the SAHP can also be very isolated..........photography can cause them to get out and meet and greet, join forums and generally enjoy themselves. Wether or not they make a zillion $ and become famous to the world.........they may become famous in the own much smaller world...... and thats good for the ego!

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stoogest View Post
    How can we help...?

Answer their questions truthfully.
    Ask the hard questions that need to be asked.

What more can we do?

At the end of the day we can't be responsible for their life decisions, or for the service they give to their future customers.
    Absolutely.

I think Rick is more interested in understanding why there's a perception that someone's mere ownership of a DSLR camera, and maybe a few good images (maybe even a few really good images) creates an impression that said DSLR owner should become a professional photographer; why the career of photographer is seen as something that is easily attainable.

I think those who have successfully become professional photographers could indicate that even being an exceptional photographer and owning a truckload of premium gear isn't all it takes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was this question that stood out to me while reading the thread:

"yeah, but is there something we can do, as experienced photographers, pro or advanced amateur, that can change this perception? Is it our role to inform these people, or should we just let them try and fail...
    It's great that we are debating the reasons behind the perception, but it got me thinking about what we can actually do to manage those perceptions in a more realistic way, and how much responsibility we (as complete strangers) should take.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stoogest View Post
    It's great that we are debating the reasons behind the perception, but it got me thinking about what we can actually do to manage those perceptions in a more realistic way, and how much responsibility we (as complete strangers) should take.
    The fact of the matter is that the number of photography forum newcomers (and newcomers to photography) is only likely to increase, and that the question of how one becomes a professional photographer is one that will continue to be asked.

Personally, I think it's best for all concerned that those who are in a position to know, answer the newcomers' questions frankly and honestly, but without shattering people's dreams. Going into business is a risky proposition in the first instance.

It does nobody good to allow people to believe that they can easily turn photography into a career, and achieve success in a relatively short time.

Sugar-coating the reality of the situation is inherently bad.

Like any other facet of photography, dealing with this particular issue is all about educating those who lack the knowledge they need, while not discouraging them if they have the potential and are actually prepared work hard to achieve what they honestly believe is their goal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You see a person with stethoscope around there neck & you are having trouble with your heart.
    Are you going to question their qualifications or do you just need their opinion if you are going to live
    Col

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast