Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 8910111213 LastLast

Thread: Stay at home mums (and others) and photography as a profession

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the subject of regulated industries, there are some that require some some of qualification.
    Eg:
    • Medical/Health (but we still have //lel services like homoeopathy?)
    • Law
    • Manufacturing and mining (eg. fork lift drivers, heavy machinery operators etc)
    • Building industry
    • Transport

But other industries (eg. IT, software etc.) require no qualification at all.
    Yet, I've worked in IT / Software development since the 70's and am a professional by any measure (i.e. experience, career results, peer recognition etc).
    However, there are still some shonky IT shops (much less than the '90's).
    Still, anyone can setup a PC sales/repair/service shop, even do shonky web site developments.

Photography is no different.
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I blame facebook for these ills.
    On that site one only has to look around those who offering themselves as photographers under the "professional services" heading and enjoying all the accolades from their friends whilst setting out to fly solo for the first time at a wedding and in the same breath asking all and sundry about how they should structure their pricing.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a good comparison of those who might and those that do

http://www.ispwp.com/uncle-bob-vs-a-...tographer.html
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post

Great info Kiwi !! I am shooting a wedding for a friend this weekend and have no idea what I am doing ... this gives me at least a start on where I should focus my attentions ! Of course I am joking.. sheesh!

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post

LOL, i love the Uncle bob series!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rick answered his own question over in the Photos in the media that shouldn't have made the "cut".
    Simone

"If you're good at something, never do it for free." -- The Joker.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cbourke View Post
    Really? Go knock on say Yervants door and ask some "dumb" questions and see what responses you get, while you are at it head down the road and visit Rocco and Nick and ask some more dumb questions, they will hold their hand out and say here is our course date, how about you attend?

I find the only ones good with offering FREE advice are those inbetween starting out and going professional (I am deeming professional as one who is a full member of the AIPP). Many professionals simply do not have the time to discuss this with fauxtogs. I know my mentor, a photographer who has been in the game for 27 years didn't just roll over and offer me advice/work, I had to beg and prove myself and even then I am not sure he has really given me any advice it has all been learnt through watching what he does lol.
    Scuse me for being extremely irrated with this comment. I post and regularly offer advice after 38 years of selling my work. Its this type of ignorance that seriously puts me off offering advice - which I do for free. And I'm a member of AIPP. If you want to insult other AP members you've done a good job. Try a bit of mutual respect, and less of the cynicism, because I have no wish to contribute with that attitude !
    Last edited by ricktas; 01-09-2011 at 9:11pm.
    William

www.longshots.com.au

I am the PhotoWatchDog

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Longshots View Post
    Scuse me for being extremely irrated with this comment. I post an regularly offer advice after 38 years of selling my work. Its this type of ignorance that seriously puts me off offering advice - which I do for free. And I'm a member of AIPP. If you want to insult other AP members you've done a good job. Try a bit of mutual respect, and less of the cynicism, because I have no wish to contribute with that attitude !
    Well said William... As one of the few professionals who has selflessly given me advice on a few occasions, whether it being on the phone for an hour, or on the porch over a beer or 3, I can understand how irritated you must be at that comment
    Last edited by ricktas; 01-09-2011 at 9:31pm.
    Living the dream...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yikes, i missed that post, i quite agree Jason.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scuse me for being extremely irrated with this comment. I post and regularly offer advice after 38 years of selling my work. Its this type of ignorance that seriously puts me off offering advice - which I do for free. And I'm a member of AIPP. If you want to insult other AP members you've done a good job. Try a bit of mutual respect, and less of the cynicism, because I have no wish to contribute with that attitude !
    Wow touchy. Please tell me where the insult was exactly? I now understand why so many steer clear of this place.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow touchy. Please tell me where the insult was exactly? I now understand why so many steer clear of this place.
    Um ... it might have been this statement:
    I find the only ones good with offering FREE advice are those inbetween starting out and going professional (I am deeming professional as one who is a full member of the AIPP). Many professionals simply do not have the time to discuss this with fauxtogs.
    Mind you, I'm only guessing. The name William Long (aka Longshots) would be very well known to any member of the AIPP. My experience has been "the bigger they are the nicer they are" when it comes to helping others with free advice, and Longshots is one of the "biggest" in professional terms. The only ones who jealously guard the limited knowledge they possess are those afraid of how truly small that puddle of knowledge really is! But that's just my amateur opinion.
    Waz
    Be who you are and say what you mean, because those who matter don't mind don't matter and those who mind don't matter - Dr. Seuss...
    D700 x 2 | Nikkor AF 50 f/1.8D | Nikkor AF 85 f/1.8D | Optex OPM2930 tripod/monopod | Enthusiasm ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The suggestion that pros are only interested in passing on advice when cash is involved may have done it mate. it may surprise you to know that many many industry giants are completely the opposite from what you described.

And by the way if you feel that way about AP, nobody is forcing you to be here, but I'd encourage you to accept that you may be wrong this time... and continue to get involved

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well you can join em.. I have closed your account!
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    touchy ? Mr Bourke you need to reread your comments. Clearly I'm not alone in being offended by your ill informed generalisations.

Assuming that pros only offer advice on receipt of cash is a comment I find insulting. As clearly others do as well.

My free advice is that you'd be wise to stay clear of many places with that type of attitude. Having spent the past 5 nights in Perth at no cost other then being hosted by a fellow photographer, and my meagre expenses covered, giving advice for free to students, emerging and professional photographers; and its important to note that I'm not alone in supporting my industry colleagues; that Im happy in contributing to the industry. So what are you doing for the common good Mr Bourke ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guess that makes me a "fauxtog" then...hahaha!
    Cheers
    Emma

Avoid shooting with a 12 gauge shotgun. Use a Canon instead.

Canon 5D, Canon 7D, 50mm 1.4, 18-55mm, Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 VC, Sigma 70-200mm f2.8, 580EX Speedlight. Facebook

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by triptych View Post
    Guess that makes me a "fauxtog" then...hahaha!
    Nothing wrong with that.

For what its worth - we all started somewhere. I visit here and contribute, which means passing on advice I was freely given by other pros (if you ask with some respect, many people are only too happy to help - if you insult them they will on the other hand suggest you go elsewhere).

I began as a "wannabe", started as with a different career. Didnt take me long to take a professional approach - because of help from full times GENEROUS professionals - , and ultimately I made the transition (with a great deal of work) to existing as a full time professional. And FWIW I've been selling my work for over 38 years, and relying on my photography as a full time career for just over 20 years. I couldnt have done that without the free advice I gained from fellow photographers. I'm happy to pass that information on and support forums such as this.
    Last edited by Longshots; 01-09-2011 at 11:02pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing wrong with that.

For what its worth - we all started somewhere. I visit here and contribute, which means passing on advice I was freely given by other pros (if you ask with some respect, many people are only too happy to help - if you insult them they will on the other hand suggest you go elsewhere).

I began as a wannabe, started as with a different career. Didnt take me long to take a professional approach, and ultimately I made the transition (with a great deal of work) to existing as a full time professional. And FWIW I've been selling my work for over 38 years, and relying on my photography as a full time career for just over 20 years. I couldnt have done that without the free advice I gained from fellow photographers. I'm happy to pass that information on and support forums such as this.
    I know I wont get anywhere without some thick skin! So while im not entirely comfortable yet, I try not to let labels get to me. I know im improving and learning more all the time, this forum has been invaluable, and more so the meet ups where people with alot more experience have helped me.

So yes im a mum, I have a camera, I have a facebook page...and at the same time I also admittedly get frustrated. For example, someone I know literally started her photography business on the same day as she bought her first DSLR, so I guess its these people that make a name for the rest of us who are actually trying to better themselves and improve. I dont expect to be anything overnight, and in fact I dont plan to take my photography to any sort of serious level for at least 3 years, at the moment im happy doing the odd shoot, enjoying what I do.

Sticks and stones eh!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tryptich I'd be happy to offer you some one on one advice - like I said we all started somewhere. Getting yourself organised for when you get more work, is the key to finanical success.

Call me - go and look at my website for contact details. Happy to offer some advice - for free
    Last edited by Longshots; 01-09-2011 at 11:02pm.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This may be off-topic but after reading some of the comments here I am compelled to write a reply that is not meant to sound obsequious but is meant honestly. As a newbie with no aspirations with regard to photography other than trying not making a fool of myself and in the process learning to appreciate what makes a "good" photographic image, I'd like to offer thanks for this forum and to those that contribute so generously with their time and high calibre advice in such a kind and patient manner. It is truly appreciated and I know I am not alone in thinking this way.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Allie - AP tries hard to help beginners. The New To Photography book in the library is a great free resource.
    In fact the whole CC part of AP is about helping people learn and improve.

We also want people to succeed in a photographic business, but we want very much that people have a realistic assessment of what is involved.
    I.e. this guide http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...l-Photographer

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 8910111213 LastLast