Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: History Alive, 11th and 12th June 2011

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

History Alive, 11th and 12th June 2011

I am planning to go to History Alive link , from people who have gone previously is one day enough, or is it worth going both days?

If you went only one day which would be the better day?

Are there many people going to this?

Cheers Dave
    I have this silly idea, that I should actually go and take photos with all this photography gear I have already accumulated, before I collect any more!

See some of my photos here.
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/David...5888662?ref=hl
    And my very randomly updated blog.
    http://davidarnold.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Dave for the information. It looks a good place for family.

Allen has done lots of shoots there, he must know what is the best option.

My family will high likely come to this event on Saturday. Maybe I can catch you somewhere in the "History Alive"
    Be happy, life is beautiful, even through a humble point and shoot camera
    Flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whether it is worth going for both days will depend on what events you want to see. One day is enough to see German tanks, renaissance sword fighting, Roman gladiators, Medieval combat, American Civil War re-enactors, a Colonial Australian camp with people playing traditional games, WWI skirmishes and much much more. It was a very impressive site to stand on the hill and see a multitude of tents and encampments from different eras.

I went last year and had a great time. This will be my first year with a DSLR.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Either day is good, Saturday is a rehearsal for some of the reenactors, but you'll see a lot either day. I, along with a couple of others here will again be the official photographers so will be there both days. So many opportunities for photos you'll still miss shots if you go both days.

Here is a link to both years I've been: http://www.allannielsenphotography.c.../History-Alive
    Last edited by Allann; 28-04-2011 at 8:29pm.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the link Allan, thats a nice lot of shots you have there and it does look very interesting.

Ausphotography Site Sponsor/Advertiser DAdeGroot's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too will be there as an official photographer this year: http://clients.degrootphotography.com.au/HistoryAlive/

As Allan said, either day is good. Crowds vary each year, but it's never as busy as The Abbey Tournament. There's plenty to see and several cannon firings on both days (first at 10am!).
    Dave

http://www.degrootphotography.com.au/
    Canon EOS 1D MkIV | Canon EOS 5D MkII | Canon EOS 30D | Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM | Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM | Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM | Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM | Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L & some non-L lenses.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What happens about parking out there?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AMple parking in the paddock next to the main arena.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm planning on going - if I can find a backyard to park my sleep in van overnight in it will be both days but if I can't probably Sunday.
    Odille

“Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky”

My Blog | Canon 1DsMkII | 60D | Tokina 20-35mm f/2.8 AF AT-X PRO | EF50mm f/1.8| Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM | Fujifilm X-T1 & X-M1 | Fujinon XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XC 50-230mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XF 18-55mm F2.8-4R LM OIS | tripods, flashes, filters etc ||

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think me and my family will come

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like it might be a good plan...my partner will get a kick out of the combat stuff, and I get to take photos...win win here! Thanks for the link!

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, this has come up quick and is now next weekend, at this stage me and Kerri (kadon) are definate for Sunday, and possible for Saturday, seeing how we feel after we get back from Bridge Climb and subect to a couple of family things.

Cheers Dave

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i'll be at the bridge climb and at both days at HA. Will be a good couple of days, but probably need a holiday afterwards.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm hoping to get there on Sunday (with the new toy). I see they are forecasting showers for the weekend. Could make things a little interesting...
    Bodies: Nikon D4, D300, D80
    Lenses: Nikon AF-S 18-135 kit lens, Nikkor AF-S70-300 1:4.4-5.6 G VR, Nikkor AF Micro 60mm 2.8 D, Nikkor AF 50mm, 1.8 D, Nikkor AF-S 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5 G ED, Nikkor AF-S 24-120 f/4G ED VR, Nikkor AF-s 500mm f4G ED VR
    Accessories: SB600 Flash, Flashpro 500SP Studio Lights, Sekonic L758D light meter, Manfrotto 055XPROB Tripod, Velbon RUP-43 Monopod, Wemberley Head
    Monitor: Eizo S2231W with Huey monitor calibrator
    Lowepro Slingshot 100AW, Tamrac T31 case, Computrekker AW

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GregoryH View Post
    I'm hoping to get there on Sunday (with the new toy). I see they are forecasting showers for the weekend. Could make things a little interesting...
    Bit more than just showers, they are forecasting showers with rain later and on Sunday rain. Does not look the best of conditions, however I will leave it to the last minute to see what it is going to be like.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not going to HA this year but have done so the past 2. Both times have been on a Saturday. One day for me was ample.
    I'm here to learn and improve so please don't be backward in coming forward with what you really think about photos I put up for CC.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The forecase weather has made a change of plans, and now hope to go Saturday with some mates ( so photography may not be as much a focus ) hope fully rain will not come in until later in the afternoon.

Will decide then Sunday if to go again, based on Weather, and if I feel there is more to see.

Cheers Dave

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No rain on Saturday for the bridge climb then straight to HA where again we will have no rain. Sunday, I don't mind, as that will be the portrait day, hope to setup a mini studio inside one of the halls??

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allann View Post
    No rain on Saturday for the bridge climb then straight to HA where again we will have no rain. Sunday, I don't mind, as that will be the portrait day, hope to setup a mini studio inside one of the halls??
    You are very positive about that Alan, and I hope you are right. I will still reserve my decisionabout HA until the morning.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, what a weekend. No rain on either day, though it got quite wet during the night for the re-enactors. Here is a shot from the late night canon firing that was put on specially for the re-enactors and photographers.
    _MG_4463.jpg

If you would like to see more from the weekend I will be uploading them all week, but this is where you can find them: http://allannielsenphotography.com/history_alive/2011

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast